WJC thread

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I saw the goal against the Slovaks which was the.....eighth goal.....in a blowout in the back half of the third period. An AHL dman wouldn’t have allowed that play at all. I’ve seen two empty nets today in another blowout. I’m not saying the kid isn’t a good prospect - remotely - but nothing I’ve seen in the tournament should be elevating him as a prospect yet. It’s the first round and he’s scoring easy plays. If he’s producing like this through the end then ok the hype train can get rolling a bit. The wjc’s is an interesting tournament, production can be deceptive.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Puistola is legit. He has scored on all three games in this tournament. He feels like an early second rounder, a potentially great sniper who needs some seasoning in the FEL/AHL level.

Really impressed with Tulsky and the borg. Being able to snag potential NHLers in the lower rounds is really important, especially when Svech and Dougie extensions kick in.

I'm still not sure yet if the Borg really is going to give Dougie that 8 year extension. He's a great player, yes, however, I'm sure that they have a specific value in mind that they will want to use to play hardball with. If he doesn't agree to it, I'm pretty sure that they will Faulk him. They'll sign another high-value, post-Day 1 UFA, then find a team like Anaheim that really needs RHD to overpay, and they'll get someone like Kase + Brayden Tracey (pipe dream would be Trevor Zegras, but that's unlikely) for their troubles. I think they want to maintain that current patient and steady development of their youth in Charlotte rather than throwing ELC guys into the wolves because they have to. Someone like Puistola, IMO, will be a considerably more complete player when properly developed than when rushed in.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
aHvYmGQP_bigger.jpg
TSN Hockey‏Verified account @TSNHockey 2h2 hours ago

From @markhmasters at the #WorldJuniors:
How Team Canada must adjust further with Joe Veleno suspended one game
for his headbutt against Russia

http://fw.to/cMXnKXQ #TSNHockey
pic.twitter.com/KAr0Q0EAXl
EM_ULejWwAEwyCo.jpg

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Pretty uneventful game between Germany and Canada. Was 1-0 Canada and Germany had a breakaway and a 2 on 1 which were both stopped. Became 2-0 shortly after and then they started getting into some penalty trouble.

Very late in the third Bokk was on the receiving end of a high stick that drew a lot of blood. Germans went on the 5 on 3 and scored. Canada then added an empty netter. 4-1 final.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I saw the goal against the Slovaks which was the.....eighth goal.....in a blowout in the back half of the third period. An AHL dman wouldn’t have allowed that play at all. I’ve seen two empty nets today in another blowout. I’m not saying the kid isn’t a good prospect - remotely - but nothing I’ve seen in the tournament should be elevating him as a prospect yet. It’s the first round and he’s scoring easy plays. If he’s producing like this through the end then ok the hype train can get rolling a bit. The wjc’s is an interesting tournament, production can be deceptive.

I get it, and I agree, but then you get into the "if it's so simple, why doesn't everyone have four goals in three games?" Time will tell if Puistola has *it* or not, but some guys just find the soft spots better than others and have a knack for putting the puck in the net. It's ridiculously hard to quantify, but there's got to be a reason this guy continues to score goals at a higher rate than other guys his age. I have no idea what the reason is, but there has to be one.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Anyone else kinda groan when they just keep saying "Jack Drury is the go to faceoff guy for the US?"

He keeps not really doing anything, though.

Marcus Kruger, ladies and gentlemen.

Too early to say. His defensive metrics are excellent and he's also been really good at Harvard in the 2-way game. Again, I don't judge my prospects too much until I see them in Charlotte.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Anyone else kinda groan when they just keep saying "Jack Drury is the go to faceoff guy for the US?"

Meh. He still seems like a solid prospect, just not as much of a swing for the fences prospect. Considering the number of skilled guys we took last year, and that they may have still been defining philosophies after the ownership and management transition, I'm not sweating Drury too much. It's nice that he made the team again, even as just a role player.

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I get it, and I agree, but then you get into the "if it's so simple, why doesn't everyone have four goals in three games?" Time will tell if Puistola has *it* or not, but some guys just find the soft spots better than others and have a knack for putting the puck in the net. It's ridiculously hard to quantify, but there's got to be a reason this guy continues to score goals at a higher rate than other guys his age. I have no idea what the reason is, but there has to be one.

The thing with Puistola is that he is always in the right place at the right time. In his 2g scored yesterday, for the first he just so happened to have his stick on the ice about 3ft outside the crease ready for a perfect pass. On his second goal, all he had to do was again have his stick on the ice to receive a great pass for an easy finish. I've heard some prognosticators really go on about his hockey IQ, and I think they're spot on with that. He just has that knack to know where to be to score, and he's willing to go to the front of the net in order to do so.

He still has quite a lot of maturing to do physically and evidently his skating and defensive game needs work, like most guys his age, but he seems to innately have the skill and IQ you can't teach. That other stuff, bulk, defensive awareness and skating, can all be developed. Knowing exactly where to be to benefit while a play is unfolding, you can't teach.

And on a side-note-I hope CAR takes a flyer on this Tanus kid, who seems to have a ton of chemistry with Puistola, somewhere around the mid to later rounds this year.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Too early to say. His defensive metrics are excellent and he's also been really good at Harvard in the 2-way game. Again, I don't judge my prospects too much until I see them in Charlotte.

Drury has checking line C written all over him and will be one of RBA's faves (if he signs) as soon as he makes the Canes. Now, if only he were a righty...

I know not all of them will make it, but man, does CAR have some nice depth at F. At this point, I'd be surprised if Suzuki, Rees, Bokk and Drury don't become NHL regulars.

That's not even considering Geekie, Kuokkanen, Gauthier, Loustarinen, etc. in Charlotte either. Plus the 2 Fwds they'll draft in the first round this year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I mean I get where you're coming from, but it's also not like the skaters drafted anywhere around him are doing all that much either. And he's putting up pretty nice numbers with Harvard while playing a damn good two-way game.

Sometimes a pick like that turns out to be Ryan O'Reilly, sometimes it turns out to be Reilly Nash. All things considered he's still a good pick where we got him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The thing with Puistola is that he is always in the right place at the right time. In his 2g scored yesterday, for the first he just so happened to have his stick on the ice about 3ft outside the crease ready for a perfect pass. On his second goal, all he had to do was again have his stick on the ice to receive a great pass for an easy finish. I've heard some prognosticators really go on about his hockey IQ, and I think they're spot on with that. He just has that knack to know where to be to score, and he's willing to go to the front of the net in order to do so.

He still has quite a lot of maturing to do physically and evidently his skating and defensive game needs work, like most guys his age, but he seems to innately have the skill and IQ you can't teach. That other stuff, bulk, defensive awareness and skating, can all be developed. Knowing exactly where to be to benefit while a play is unfolding, you can't teach.

And on a side-note-I hope CAR takes a flyer on this Tanus kid, who seems to have a ton of chemistry with Puistola, somewhere around the mid to later rounds this year.

I have some pseudo-insidery information about the guys that the scouting department was considering with their last pick. Their top 3 targets were narrowed to Kristian Tanus, Xavier Simoneau, and Massimo Rizzo. In the end, the scouts and computer boys really liked Rizzo's analytical profile and playmaking, which is why they swung on him. They unfortunately didn’t consider a swing on Billy Constantinou, but OTOH, no one else did, either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad