WJC Thread 2018

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The most habs players I ever remember suiting up for team Canada in one year was 4. It was in the late 90s.

Ribeiro, chouinard, and Ryder played on one line, garon was in net, and I think Julien might have been the coach.

The last Habs player on team Canada that had a large impact? Gallagher is the one that comes to mind for me.
He was, if memory serves. That edition of the team ended up having a fairly crappy tournament sadly, by Team Canada's standards of the time at least. None of our guys looked particularly good, I remember Ribeiro in particular getting in the doghouse almost immediately.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lines for the Fins,

Tolvanen - Kuokkanen - Vesalainen
Koivula - A.Räsänen - Heponiemi
Kupari - Ikonen - Innala
Jääskä - Koppanen - Tuulola
Luostarinen

For USA, Poehling listed as center on the top line with Anderson and Harper

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
Anyone watching the game between Canada and switzerland? Was looking for scores and can't find them.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hockey Canadian Sportmanship just par for the Course, as Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Mario Lemieux, would say. Despite their abilities, showmanship, their fore bearers were the Team Canada's from the 1972 (Canada- USSR)
Huge honor, 1974(, 1976 World Cup

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I am so excited for this year's holiday season. Poehling, Ikonen, and Mete for WJC and Evans in the Spengler Cup!

I feel confident enough in Poehling and Mete that I'm pulling for Ikonen the most. Really hope he has a great tourney. As much as I have reservations about Ikonen one thing he has is an absolutely filthy shot and that bodes well in my books. Really hope he can put in the work to fulfill his potential.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
I am so excited for this year's holiday season. Poehling, Ikonen, and Mete for WJC and Evans in the Spengler Cup!
Apart from springtime (playoffs + draft), I’d say it’s the most wonderful time of the year :x): Really excited for this year’s WJC, and correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Poehling could be back next year as well (he would turn 20 during the tourney). I hope all of our guys have a good tournament, but really pulling for Ikonen as most people on here. He has been heating up lately, and having a great WJC as an 18-year-old could really boost his confidence going into the rest of the season.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Exciting hockey for sure. Who are the prospects to watch in this tournament apart from Poehling, Mete and Ikonen?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You can see Mete is one notch ahead on most players positionally and decision-making wise. It will be interesting to watch him shutdown other teams' top players.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Glad to see Mete was made an assistant captain. Good news. Looking forward to this tournament this year now that the Habs have some prospects there again.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Apart from springtime (playoffs + draft), I’d say it’s the most wonderful time of the year :x): Really excited for this year’s WJC, and correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Poehling could be back next year as well (he would turn 20 during the tourney). I hope all of our guys have a good tournament, but really pulling for Ikonen as most people on here. He has been heating up lately, and having a great WJC as an 18-year-old could really boost his confidence going into the rest of the season.

Both Poehling and Ikonen can play next year as well. I could easily see Brook on Team Canada and I think Primeau if he keeps it up will at the least be invited to the summer camp for USA as he's got to be on their radar.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I feel confident enough in Poehling and Mete that I'm pulling for Ikonen the most. Really hope he has a great tourney. As much as I have reservations about Ikonen one thing he has is an absolutely filthy shot and that bodes well in my books. Really hope he can put in the work to fulfill his potential.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. It will be interesting to see what Ikonen can do. He can also go next year though. And, Poehling's offensive potential is still very much a question mark, so I will be watching him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, my thoughts exactly. It will be interesting to see what Ikonen can do. He can also go next year though. And, Poehling's offensive potential is still very much a question mark, so I will be watching him.

I think it's a question mark in the sense that most prospects' potentials are question marks.

He's a really smart playmaker and a very impressive passer. It's somewhere in between Danault's reliable but unspectacular passing and Scherbak's dynamic near-elite passing. Closer to Scherbak on the spectrum but not as mind-blowing. Still I seen him pull off some very difficult passes.

I'd say his goal scoring's a bit of a question mark. At least in my eyes it's not the question mark it was once we drafted him.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think it's a question mark in the sense that most prospects' potentials are question marks.

He's a really smart playmaker and a very impressive passer. It's somewhere in between Danault's reliable but unspectacular passing and Scherbak's dynamic near-elite passing. Closer to Scherbak on the spectrum but not as mind-blowing. Still I seen him pull off some very difficult passes.

I'd say his goal scoring's a bit of a question mark. At least in my eyes it's not the question mark it was once we drafted him.

Well it's good that both Scherbak and Poehling are passers.

Pacioretty, Galcehnyuk, Lehkonen, Byron, Carr, and Gallagher are shooters. Our only playmakers are Danault and Drouin. I'm not sure yet which Hudon will be at the NHL level and of course Plekanec has past his true playmaking days.

Really excited about Scherbak, Poehling, Ikonen and Mete.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Stolen from main board:

"According to Riku Salminen, the lines and special teams at today's practice were:

Vesalainen - Kuokkanen - Tolvanen
Heponiemi - Ikonen - Koivula
Innala - A.Räsänen - Kupari
Jääskä - Koppanen - Nurmi
Tuulola

Heiskanen - Välimäki
Juolevi - Jokiharju
Vaakanainen - Kotkansalo
E.Räsänen

PP1: Räsänen, Vesalainen, Kuokkanen, Tolvanen, Heiskanen
PP2: Heponiemi, Ikonen, Koivula, Juolevi, Jokiharju

SH1: Koppanen, Nurmi, Välimäki, E.Räsänen
SH2: Innala, Jääskä, Kotkansalo, Vaakanainen

"

Reactions: PhysicX and Peanut

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Best time of the year, so many good players to watch like Tolvanen, Mittelstadt, Abramov, Thomas, Dahlin so excited to watch some entertaining hockey.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ryan Poehling will be wearing #4.
image.jpeg

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
If some of you have information about the world championship, that would be great : Ikonen (Finland), Poelhing(USA) and Mete (Canada).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If some of you have information about the world championship, that would be great : Ikonen (Finland), Poelhing(USA) and Mete (Canada).

You will surely have reports on all things WJC, especially Habs prospects. Enough people will watch it and post about it. ;)

As for anyone watching Spengler Cup right now, Switzerland is giving Dinamo Riga a serious lesson in hockey. However, my point is that the refs jerseys are way too similar to Riga's jersey.

BTW, Raphael Diaz is Switzerland's captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00