WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Finland 3 vs. USA 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talentless Practise*

So, do you really think this team is a shame for the nation because they had a poor tournament?

I didn't really think you would be the proverbial "devil reading the bible" but guess i was wrong.

Let's just say i'm not proud of guys wearing our colours behaving so ridiculously after losing a game all by themselves.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Does'nt even seem to change when the team wins.i cjecked the swe-Cze thread and for a lot of people when the score was close any penalty that was caled it was starting to get into the "they are out to get us" territory.

There are bad calls in this tournament and in hockey in general these days but i have not seen one instance yet where it was anything other then that.........bad calls!!And those questionable,soft calls are going to every team.

They lost 6-3 and penalties were 11-8.

that should say it all,but for some it still does'nt.

Hopefully our game tomorrow is reffed fairly clean and there isn't one team acting dumb with the penalties. We'll see. Should be a great game. US offense is finally clicking and Kane looks DYN-O-MITE.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
LOL, I live in America...Watch the WJC's? I'm better off getting a ticket to fly a black helicopter.

I'm not saying you're not justified in your complaints. Finland always seems to have problems with the refs, the last time I saw Finland in the WJC's last year they had similar problems, and very fair complaints as well.

Always, right.. Well go check out National Hockey League Talk how many complaints you see about the refs, we're not the only nation who complaints of refs. This time there was a good reason too, in my honest opinion.

My opinion is that Ref should keep the same style of calling penalties the whole game and not change it suddenly. Like i said he judged the game like a playoff match for two first periods, but clearly changed it in the third which resulted penalties to increase a lot. I dont like to watch a game where the ref BASICALLY decides the outcome of the game with the way he calls penalties.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
And?

Maybe you should tell your players to learn to play the game without taking so many penalties and throwing sticks around the ice.

Why are you complaining SO much about the refs when your players were clearly undisciplined and the COACH even took a penalty. This is getting a bit ridiculous. You lost the game. Blame the undisciplined play rather than the reffing.

The undisciplined play happened after the game was over. Most of US PP goals were scored on weak penalties (except Seppänen's stupid penalty, but that was more like a mistake than undisciplined play). Only Jack Johnson scored after Finland lost their temper.

time

Feb 26, 2005
I hate to be a sore loser but I must say this referee stepped up at the right time for team USA to eff us in the a.

He made bad calls both ways but he chose to favor team USA at the most critical point of the game.

If there truly was a "fix" in this game, the Canadian ref would have tilted it in favour of the Finns. Sorry guys, but Canada would have preferred to play Finland than a resurgent American team.

Of course, there was no fix, no conspiracy, never is. I just thought I'd point out that the argument is moot. Time to move on.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The undisciplined play happened after the game was over. Most of US PP goals were scored on weak penalties (except Seppänen's stupid penalty, but that was more like a mistake than undisciplined play). Only Jack Johnson scored after Finland lost their temper.

Not saying it didn't happen then. You still took a bunch of penalties. Just stop blaming the refs when you lose. It's a bit tiresome.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Let's just say i'm not proud of guys wearing our colours behaving so ridiculously after losing a game all by themselves.

They are teenagers for god sake.

Edit: actually I didn't read your post carefully enoug. Yes, I agree they behaved ridiculously in the last minutes of the game, but calling them "a shame for the nation" is a bit too harsh.

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
If there truly was a "fix" in this game, the Canadian ref would have tilted it in favour of the Finns. Sorry guys, but Canada would have preferred to play Finland than a resurgent American team.

Of course, there was no fix, no conspiracy, never is. I just thought I'd point out that the argument is moot. Time to move on.

It doesn"t matter who Canada plays even if the fix was in Canada will take on all who step on the ice.

And defend the Title of Junior Hockey Champions!!!:yo: :yo: :yo:

Checker*

Have you been watching the rest of this tournament. Most games have been penalty-fests with a few bad calls going against both sides. The arguement that the refs decided the crucial part of the game is absurd. It was the crucial part in the game because the US took advantage of their opportunities. The US then had three straight penalties against them including a 5 on 3. Here the Finnish squad could have made that series a crucial part in the game and answered back for a goal or two, but instead, they hung their heads, decided the game was already over and felt sorry for themselves. From that point on, their coach took a penalty, and a Finnish player played stick toss. That's not good hockey. You didn't deserve to win, and the ref was NOT the reason Finland lost

Last edited by a moderator:

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Not saying it didn't happen then. You still took a bunch of penalties. Just stop blaming the refs when you lose. It's a bit tiresome.

Why dont you watch the game and then tell us the same thing. It's always easy to say that stop blaming refs, but when they actually did make some mistakes that ruined the game (and no i didnt say that Finland lost the game because of that). Seems like you guys just blank everything except these "ref ruined the game" frases. Read what people wrote and do your homework (watch the game for example) before you start to type this stuff.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Are they? since when is 19 a teenager? i also don't recall our previous U20-teams being this undisciplined.

They are nineTEEN years old, so they are teenagers.

And I haven't said they didn't play undisciplined, the only problem I got is the "this team is a shame for the nation" crap.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why dont you watch the game and then tell us the same thing. It's always easy to say that stop blaming refs, but when they actually did make some mistakes that ruined the game (and no i didnt say that Finland lost the game because of that). Seems like you guys just blank everything except these "ref ruined the game" frases. Read what people wrote and do your homework (watch the game for example) before you start to type this stuff.

You guys had a ton of chances and didn't capitalize on them.

Nothing more to say, nothing less.

Roger's Pancreas*

I pity you then.

Why? I like listening to my home team's audio feed. I like feeding off a fellow fan's emotion. And as long as he keeps with the truth, I'm happy. Besides, there are plenty of "professional" networks that go overboard with their calling. TSN, CBS, CBC, they all make it perfectly clear who they are cheering for.

And for the record, his name is Stefan "Rosie" Ruzicka.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Yeah, but you never use the term "we". I've never watched a professional broadcast where you use the term "we". It should be, "Team USA has to kill the penalty", etc., never "we have to kill the penalty".

So yes, he's right, its very unprofessional. You don't hear Pierre McGuire ever using "we" when he's commentating on a Team Canada game.

Unprofessional? Pffft. We-schmee. He's USA Hockey's color guy for a webcast.

Some people just need something to get riled up about I guess.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Have you been watching the rest of this tournament. Most games have been penalty-fests with a few bad calls going against both sides. The arguement that the refs decided the crucial part of the game is absurd. It was the crucial part in the game because the US took advantage of their opportunities. The US then had three straight penalties against them including a 5 on 3. Here the Finnish squad could have made that series a crucial part in the game and answered back for a goal or two, but instead, they hung their heads, decided the game was already over and felt sorry for themselves. From that point on, their coach took a penalty, and a Finnish player played stick toss. That's not good hockey.

Please tell me why? He changed his style of calling penalties and then started trying to make up those calls by giving more calls, im sorry but that ruined the game. No matter who won, of course i wouldnt be here talking this if Finland had won, but i definitelly wouldnt like that change. Hockey is at it's best when the Refs judge the game with playoff style and players can hit a little harder and do things a little more freely.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
Why don't you learn to watch the games or if you can't, just avoid making assumptions like that one.

It's no assumption at all. It was 3-3 when the Finns took 3 penalties in a row, so USA could score the 4-3 when they played 5 against 3. Then Seppänen took the next penalty and USA scored again in powerplay 5 against 3.

So USA won because they could play 6 minutes 5 against 3 and when it was decided they scored the 6th goal again 5 against 3.

So tell me now what's wrong with my statement the Finns lost the game because they stayed too often IN THE PENALTY BOX?

lilooet*

Why? I like listening to my home team's audio feed. I like feeding off a fellow fan's emotion. And as long as he keeps with the truth, I'm happy. Besides, there are plenty of "professional" networks that go overboard with their calling. TSN, CBS, CBC, they all make it perfectly clear who they are cheering for.

And for the record, his name is Stefan "Rosie" Ruzicka.

To compare CBC to the USA hockey feed is not only misleading, it's absurd.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I have never seen such an undisciplined team...sure, the ref made several strange calls but let's not exaggarate here, fellow Finns. Sufficiently many of the calls were justified.

Many of them were. Most of them were. Almost every single one of them was. What pisses me off is:

a) The line changed
b) it was the weakest penalties that the Americans took advantage of (that always happens...)
c) I'm a sore loser
d) the bad calls couldn't have been timed any worse

Yes, USA had much better PP. Their first goal was rather lucky and they had 3 5-3 PP goals, but that's more Finland got. I'm not denying that. I'm not denying that US deserved to win.

I'm just pissed off that this game was ruined and I'm venting my frustrations here because otherwise I'd be hitting my head against the wall and that hurts.

Our first PP failed for the second game in the row, and it's starting to seem like some people have been right when claiming that Lindgren is way too inconsistent in the international game and comparing him to Kimmo Rintanen and Tomi Kallio.

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad