WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Finland 3 vs. USA 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I remember when USA was losing against Finland in Canada last year (bronze match) USA players started to deliver very dangerous hits, one was against Korpikoski and that looked very dangerous. So be quiet USA players are sore loosers too.

Yeah, I think Mueller was thrown out of that game for that ugly hit. No it was 2+10.

Anyways, it was Laakso who threw the stick just like I thought. He got a misconduct so he ruined his chance to rack up points in the placement game against Czech Republic (I think two misconducts gets you a ban). Anyways, I'm glad this tournament is over. It was a nightmare to watch mostly thanks to the refs.

Way to go IIHF, that's the way to take the life out of the game. :clap:

Joretus

I'm not trying to say the Finns always complain about the refs, I've seen game and they aren't wrong, but it always seems to me that Finland always has problems with the refs in this tourney.

This tournament it was at least because of lack of discipline and bad coaching. Yes the ref was bad, but still Finland made it themselfs. We had one 5on3 long time and did nothing with it, etc.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I can deal with a bias. But cheerleading is different. I would rather have just the play-by-play guy. He has a bias but he´s not sitting there cheering on his ´boys´. The clown of a colour man adds zero to this broadcast.

That "clown of a colour man" also happens to be one of the most knowledgeable and respected college coaches in NCAA history.

And as I said, its a broadcast for USA hockey, so IMO, he doesn't need to be objective.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I'm not trying to say the Finns always complain about the refs, I've seen game and they aren't wrong, but it always seems to me that Finland always has problems with the refs in this tourney.

We're too physical for the european refs and then the north american refs are biased to the other north american side? :) (oddly enough thats truer than you'd think, Canadian refs always tend to want to see the US win and US refs want Canada to win.. note the tend though, albeit even a slight tend at the wrong moment and it's a game winning goal.)

a team this badly disciplined cant blame refs for its fate though. The better team stays out of the penalty box, we sadly didn't do that.

Savolainen

Oct 10, 2005
I remember when USA was losing against Finland in Canada last year (bronze match) USA players started to deliver very dangerous hits, one was against Korpikoski and that looked very dangerous. So be quiet USA players are sore loosers too.

Actually, Finland won the bronze game last year against Sweden in overtime and not the USA!

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

Well did you watch the game? I mean in the third round he started to make calls more easily. The whole thing started when Finland was 4-5 and the ref called Osala from hooking. After that it was penalty after another. Two periods where great hockey with playoff style of refereeing and in the third it was every little thing.

Checker*

No one wants to give the Americans credit for a great game today. They'd rather try to blame the refs for the loss. In reality, after a call or two went against the Finnish squad, rather than battle through, they felt sorry for themselves and folded. Then they decided to whine about it and embarrass themselves at the end.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
It's exactly what I said, they loose because of their undisciplined game. This finnish team is a shame for the nation and they don't deserve nothing else than to loose.

It seems that it's the most stupid team, without no brain and intelligence. Where they learn to win games FROM THE PENALTY BOX?

Are you sure you root for Finland? I'm really starting to doubt that. I haven't seen a single post from you where you have NOT said something negative about Finland.

"finnish team is a shame for the nation" :shakehead

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I thought it was pretty common under international rules to give a 5 minute major for a high stick that draws blood. Hell, they even do it often in the AHL.

:dunno:

OK, might be true. I remember in the Olympics though, when Pronger high sticked Selänne and he lost some teeth Pronger only got 2+2 and then it was explain that unintentional high sticks that don't cause injury get 2min, unintentional high sticks that cause injury get 2+2 and intentional high sticks or really dangerously careless play gets 5+20. That was not intentional nor dangerously careless. The US guy got his face so down and Lahti was trying to lift his stick. Total accident.

KingKessel81

Oct 25, 2006
How was Rask today? His stats look pretty bad but sometimes stats lie. Was that the case today or did he really play terrible?

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
For the record: I didn't see the game live, so I really don't know how allegedly bad the refereeing was. All I know is that Finland has been totally undisciplined in this tournament and when you sit in the box for stupid penalties all game long, you usually lose.

I have read in the Finnish news that Tuukka Rask has been continuously vocal throughout this tournament with his team mates about undisciplined play. In fact most of what he has been quoted saying was not appropriate for children's ears.

Joretus

How was Rask today? His stats look pretty bad but sometimes stats lie. Was that the case today or did he really play terrible?

He played good. None of goals were his fault. I would give him 8+. He made some good saves as well.

Small Brain Presence

Not very sportsmanlike by the Finns...but kids are kids in any country. Sometimes its not just kids though...tell that to our American friends who destroyed some hotel rooms at the Olympics a few years back.....

"Destroyed some hotel rooms". Are you kidding me. The damages were something like a thousand dollars. Have you ever been to Japan? You can't get a decent steak for a thousand dollars.

Joretus

Penalties that led to a powerplay:

Finland - 11
USA - 8

Not much of a difference, there.

Not, while Ref ruined the game being fun and exciting and gave USA those two goals in silver plate Finland didn't use their chances like USA. So USA deserved the win clearly.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well did you watch the game? I mean in the third round he started to make calls more easily. The whole thing started when Finland was 4-5 and the ref called Osala from hooking. After that it was penalty after another. Two periods where great hockey with playoff style of refereeing and in the third it was every little thing.

LOL, I live in America...Watch the WJC's? I'm better off getting a ticket to fly a black helicopter.

I'm not saying you're not justified in your complaints. Finland always seems to have problems with the refs, the last time I saw Finland in the WJC's last year they had similar problems, and very fair complaints as well.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
He played good. None of goals were his fault. I would give him 8+. He made some good saves as well.

I didn't see the game..bu its tough to give a goalie that good a grade when giving up 5 or 6 goals...even if they were tough stops. When goalies are on their game they make a lot of stops on shots that otherwise "would not be their faults". But who's to say...not that many shots either...but shots don't say everything..

Incarnation

Dec 29, 2005
Finland
Tolvanen! Get out of my team right now! You failed from the very beginning! It was you who left guys like Puustinen, Heikkinen and Huhtala out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad