WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Finland 3 vs. USA 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm not saying you're not justified in your complaints. Finland always seems to have problems with the refs, the last time I saw Finland in the WJC's last year they had similar problems, and very fair complaints as well.

Ok so you're just saying that the refs seem to have issues with team Finland?

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
So tell me now what's wrong with my statement the Finns lost the game because they stayed too often IN THE PENALTY BOX?

What's wrong is that you're saying that they TOOK the penalties, when a lot of us feel that they were GIVEN the penalties unfairly.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
They are nineTEEN years old, so they are teenagers.

And I haven't said they didn't play undisciplined, the only problem I got is the "this team is a shame for the nation" crap.

Sorry, but 65 minutes penalties in one game is a shame. I hope next year the finnish team will play with much more discipline and win a medal.

And it doesn't change anything that the 20 minutes penalties they received was after the game was decided.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
It's nice to see some of our fellow North American posters coming out to bash us finns for blaming the referee, yet these same individuals constantly moan and ***** about bad officiating in their own NHL GDT's.

Sure, he didn't cost us the game but there is no way you can tell us we don't have any reason to complain when you haven't even seen this game for crying out loud!

Triffy

Jun 23, 2006
Helsinki
Weird.. Finland loses due to lack of discipline. USA deserve their win, they had much better power play.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
What's wrong is that you're saying that they TOOK the penalties, when a lot of us feel that they were GIVEN the penalties unfairly.

Ok, here may be you are right, because I couldn't watch the games. But it's remarkable how many penalties this team received in every game they played. So I don't think that it's only the referees mistakes, especially not if they are playing already in penaltykilling and then they receive again 2 penalties in a row, so that they play for minutes 5 against 3.

Complaining about the refs is for me too cheap if the team receives in every game a lot of penalties, it's indicates that they play undisciplined. It's just stupid too slash against the opponent if you are already playing in penaltykilling and I don't believe that every referee is whistling unfair against the same team.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Sorry, but 65 minutes penalties in one game is a shame. I hope next year the finnish team will play with much more discipline and win a medal.

And it doesn't change anything that the 20 minutes penalties they received was after the game was decided.

65 mins of penalties in one game is a shame for the hockey team and the game. But if the team doesn't succeed and fail to do it because of too many penalties taken it doesn't make them a shame for the whole nation.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It doesn't happen that way, ever. You and I are both smart enough hockey fans to realize this, though.

The Finnish team nailed their own coffin with the Pejorative Slured penalties they took. They did it to themselves.

How on earth can you "not be sure they deserved to win this game" when they won the game by a score of 6-3?

How does this work in hockey?

Wow. Someone should have told that to the USA fans after Canada beat them, or to the USA coach who went around yapping that ¨that wasn´t a 5-2 game¨ after the 2002 Olympics.

espo*

Hopefully our game tomorrow is reffed fairly clean and there isn't one team acting dumb with the penalties. We'll see. Should be a great game. US offense is finally clicking and Kane looks DYN-O-MITE.

Hopefully so.

it'll likely be close game but you can almost be sure it'll be a great game.The U.S offense is indeed now clicking and Kane is playing well.We took him out last game but can it happen again,especially if the rest of his teammates are clicking better? we'll see.
I'm going to try and make a thread about the two semis coming up tommorow later here if this computer stops crashing on me.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Have you been watching the rest of this tournament. Most games have been penalty-fests with a few bad calls going against both sides. The arguement that the refs decided the crucial part of the game is absurd. It was the crucial part in the game because the US took advantage of their opportunities. The US then had three straight penalties against them including a 5 on 3. Here the Finnish squad could have made that series a crucial part in the game and answered back for a goal or two, but instead, they hung their heads, decided the game was already over and felt sorry for themselves. From that point on, their coach took a penalty, and a Finnish player played stick toss. That's not good hockey. You didn't deserve to win, and the ref was NOT the reason Finland lost

Yes I have been watching. I was there, and I watched the games on tape later. I saw a lot of other games besides the Finland games as well (including Rus-Cze, USA-Can, USA-Svk, Can-Ger and Swe-Svk) and you are right. I'm not saying that this is an isolated incident. I've been complaining about the refs all this time. This wasn't even the worst game, not even close.

Check the thread for the Canada - USA game, because I seem to remember it being filled with people complaining about the "european ref making european calls" (one of the better referee performances in the tournament btw, except for that goal that should've been disallowed). But those were probably the Finns complaining there as well.

You guys had a ton of chances and didn't capitalize on them.

Nothing more to say, nothing less.

Yes there is more to say. There's a lot to say. No one is discrediting the americans here, even if it may seem so, and everyone aknowledges that Finland didn't use their chances as well as the americans.

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
It's nice to see some of our fellow North American posters coming out to bash us finns for blaming the referee, yet these same individuals constantly moan and ***** about bad officiating in their own NHL GDT's.

Sure, he didn't cost us the game but there is no way you can tell us we don't have any reason to complain when you haven't even seen this game for crying out loud!

This is exactly the point.

cardinal0512

Aug 10, 2005
Exactly.

Which is why it's even more absurd that there are people complaining about the US announcer when he is just a simple WEB CAST announcer -- not some big time TV guy.

They play-by-play guy is Jim Rich, and while I'm not 100 percent sure on his past, his full-time job is a sports guy one the local FOX channel in the Twin Cities.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Please tell me why? He changed his style of calling penalties and then started trying to make up those calls by giving more calls, im sorry but that ruined the game. No matter who won, of course i wouldnt be here talking this if Finland had won, but i definitelly wouldnt like that change. Hockey is at it's best when the Refs judge the game with playoff style and players can hit a little harder and do things a little more freely.

And this is the point about the ref. He didn't suck like the others sucked. He wasn't flat-out awful. He changed his line for the third period. And that's just not right.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They play-by-play guy is Jim Rich, and while I'm not 100 percent sure on his past, his full-time job is a sports guy one the local FOX channel in the Twin Cities.

If that's his job and he's just a local guy, than, again, I have no problem with it. The "local" people don't have to hold the same level of professionalism.

Sometimes I actually wish that the Rangers announcers would root for the Rangers a bit more in the broadcast!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Give it a rest guys. Game over, tournament over. Dozens more to come.

We've schooled US men's team a couple times in the recent years. Now it was their turn to win.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ok so you're just saying that the refs seem to have issues with team Finland?

No, I'm not saying one side has a distinct problem with the other side, I'm just saying that Finland seems to have problem with officiating. I didn't see this game, I'm saying it seems to always be an issue

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
No, I'm not saying one side has a distinct problem with the other side, I'm just saying that Finland seems to have problem with officiating. I didn't see this game, I'm saying it seems to always be an issue

I dont know where your getting this always, i mean sure i feel there where too many unjust calls against the Finns this tourny. I also know that these calls happen to every country, but it just pissed a lot of people that they had to happen right now in the third period of quater finals. Browse through the previous tourny threads if you dont believe me. But that we always whine this much is wrong for you to say.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004

Their playing style is quite physical, that's it I guess. Normally they are more disciplined than this team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad