GDT: WJC Pre Tournament Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Swiss kid treated that play like he was in a non-contact game.

Celebrini will be suspended under IIHF standards, but that's a tough one when the guy turns his back at the last minute.

A minute is a long time in hockey. That's a suspension in any league. Celebrini had plenty of time to hold back but instead he continued to lean in even after Braillard hit de boards head first and fell down to the ice. Celebrini didn't even attempt to take care of Braillard's health. Again, that's a bad hit in any competition.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
A minute is a long time in hockey. That's a suspension in any league. Celebrini had plenty of time to hold back but instead he continued to lean in even after Braillard hit de boards head first and fell down to the ice. Celebrini didn't even attempt to take care of Braillard's health. Again, that's a bad hit in any competition.
You will see it 6 or 7 more times this tournament, some are already moaning about nazars hit too.

One game is fine for that.

Reactions: horner and Ail

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You will see it 6 or 7 more times this tournament, some are already moaning about nazars hit too.

One game is fine for that.
I don't think so. I don't know about intent to injure but it was a dumb and reckless hit at the very least that was completely avoidable. Should be good for a longer suspension.

I'm also not sure Braillard will be back after one game. If it's a concussion he's most certainly done for the tournament.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I disagree with your assessment of the timing. Minute? I sense intentional hyperbole ?

Tough situation all around. Two careless plays back to back. Both kids will have a visceral moment to teach them a lesson (hopefully).

Reactions: zoA and jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think so. I don't know about intent to injure but it was a dumb and reckless hit at the very least that was completely avoidable. Should be good for a longer suspension.

I'm also not sure Braillard will be back after one game. If it's a concussion he's most certainly done for the tournament.
That would be going overboard, no need to turn the tournament into a suspension fest.

It's hockey.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
That should not be a suspension of any kind. Braillard stops two feet from the boards, turns his back to the check, then fails to brace for contact. Celebrini should have tried pinning him rather than pushing him, but he's also probably expecting more pushback from the player he's checking. Didn't help that Celebrini was already leaning forward, because he was trying to play the puck. Celebrini didn't commit to the hit until he was literally a foot away from Braillard, at which point Braillard is standing flat footed with his back to Celebrini. I'll be disappointed if he gets suspended for that.

Reactions: Ail

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That is a 2 minute minor in the NHL lol we have all been watching the NHL the last month correct?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That is a 2 minute minor in the NHL lol we have all been watching the NHL the last month correct?
Totally not.

Also, John Beecher got suspended at the WJC20 for a boarding he only got 2' for. Celebrini's hit was way worse.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Totally not.

Also, John Beecher got suspended at the WJC20 for a boarding he only got 2' for. Celebrini's hit was way worse.
I am not disagreeing with the major. I am disagreeing with you saying that is a major in any league. It clearly would not be a major penalty in the NHL....atleast not all the time. I think Celebrini maybe gets 1 extra game for this hit.

Reactions: jj cale

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That would be going overboard, no need to turn the tournament into a suspension fest.

It's hockey.
Player's safety has to be paramount...in any sports and in hockey as well. Reckless boardings like these almost always result in injuries and concussions can affect a player's health longterm, are sometimes even career threatening. Therefore, there's no place for hits like these and there has to be a punishment.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think both players hold accountability for the outcome. Macklin stops skating right here or right before here and begins to glide to commit to the hit. There is no numbers.

I realize the best way to protect the puck is to turn, that doesn’t mean you just don’t protect yourself. I’m on board with the major but personally think it should be done with there.
IMG_0272.png

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I think both players hold accountability for the outcome. Macklin stops skating right here or right before here and begins to glide to commit to the hit. There is no numbers.

I realize the best way to protect the puck is to turn, that doesn’t mean you just don’t protect yourself. I’m on board with the major but personally think it should be done with there.
View attachment 788704
Bro, charge your phone, go landscape mode, crop.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

View attachment 788704

He's already 80% of the way turned there.

There's the tiniest of margins for Celebrini to make a clean hit even in this snapshot, and it's only possible if he changes his path to come in from an angle that comes from the red line down into the Swiss player's open side, not beelined straight through the back like he did. It's a horrible hit, and well worth at least a one game suspension, if not more.

Even if the guy doesn't move from this position and Celebrini sticks to the line he did, the outcome is the same, he's going head first into the boards.
Look at the Swiss player's right leg. How does Celebrini get around it to change that to a hit from the front/side?

Reactions: Hinterland

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

View attachment 788704
He had plenty of time to let up, he didn’t and went full force into the numbers, he will hopefully learn his lesson.

Reactions: Hinterland

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's always the worst hit in the world and the player should be tossed out of the tournament when the infraction has been committed against your team. The problem around here is when it's a member of the same fans team doing it always suddenly turns out to be not such a bad hockey play and they immediately argue for light punishment.

It's just the same old run around every year. It's a one game suspension, period, no need to make it out to be anything other then it is, relax.

Reactions: Statsy and zoA

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He's already 80% of the way turned there.

There's the tiniest of margins for Celebrini to make a clean hit even in this snapshot, and it's only possible if he changes his path to come in from an angle that comes from the red line down into the Swiss player's open side, not beelined straight through the back like he did. It's a horrible hit, and well worth at least a one game suspension, if not more.

Even if the guy doesn't move from this position and Celebrini sticks to the line he did, the outcome is the same, he's going head first into the boards.
Look at the Swiss player's right leg. How does Celebrini get around it to change that to a hit from the front/side?
His shoulders are almost square with the boards how is he 80% turned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad