GDT: WJC Pre Tournament Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
That’s surprising. He‘s no goon but he should have got a game for being careless.

horner

May 22, 2007
I played not at that level but around a lot of guys that have made that level and from either side

Celebrini: even if you can’t avoid contact through the back, don’t drive through the check like he did

Braillard: Stopping 2 feet from the boards is one of the stupidest things you can do in terms of self protection. Pin yourself up against the boards and the risk goes way down
When I played 40 yrs ago we have hitting practices we they showed you how to give a hit and take a hit .
They also showed you the danger areas where you need your head up like the muddle of the ice .
There is not alot of hitting in the game today so players are not aware , they also thing there are helping there team by taking the hit.

Both players need to be aware it's a dangerous game if you aren't.

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022
It's always the worst hit in the world and the player should be tossed out of the tournament when the infraction has been committed against your team. The problem around here is when it's a member of the same fans team doing it always suddenly turns out to be not such a bad hockey play and they immediately argue for light punishment.

It's just the same old run around every year. It's a one game suspension, period, no need to make it out to be anything other then it is, relax.
If a Canadian makes the hit-which he did in this case-then all the European people think he should be suspended for a long period of time. One game max is my opinion. I feel bad for the Swiss player but man it's hockey. Don't turn your back when someone is about to hit you

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If a Canadian makes the hit-which he did in this case-then all the European people think he should be suspended for a long period of time. One game max is my opinion. I feel bad for the Swiss player but man it's hockey. Don't turn your back when someone is about to hit you
Yep, but when it's one of their guys doing the same thing ( and there is no shortage of times their players get caught doing it)........they poo poo it. Just par for the course around here.

Reactions: hockey20000

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm surprised he didn't get at least a game. Is this the sign of better things to come where the IIHF is concerned? I doubt it....

Reactions: jj cale

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Under IIHF rules, Celebrini should've got a game.

I think it's probably not a game, but they didn't follow their rules.

They are worse than the NHL with this stuff. NHL calls it however they are feeling that day. IIHF tries to be strict, and then at certain times clearly violates their own policies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Exactly. I hate it when a player turns his back when he's about to get hit.
Glad they got it right this time.

Reactions: howler2

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Exactly. I hate it when a player turns his back when he's about to get hit.
Glad they got it right this time.
Why do people make these kind of comments?
Like, seriously, this is hockey. Hockey players try to play hockey, which at times includes turning when playing the puck, because playing the puck requires some sort of momentum, or turning because that's where the puck goes. There was no "turning when he is about to get hit", there is "playing the puck". Players don't go "and now I turn around so I have my back to an opponent while facing the boards". That's not how humans work, that's not how instincts while playing hockey work.

There was nothing unusual about what the player did there. Then some people start trotting out their usual empty phrases of "keep your head up" and "don't turn at the last second" as if they hold much of a meaning at all. They don't. Each situation is different, and physics still apply at all times. Something people who use these bland phrases should start learning about, because it seems they get ignored all the time. Saying a player should just not turn - when the physics of his motion requires it - is like saying there should be no follow-through on a shot. It's just not physically possible once the motion has started.

In this particular case, Celebrini was not already set for a hit when the play developed. He reached out with his stick himself (funnily, the same people who use those catch phrases tend to have no issues if someone had ignored the puck and smoked Celebrini as he reached for the puck, after all, "keep your head up") and then, at the last second, after it became clear he wouldn't get to the puck, opted for a hit instead. At this point his opponent had already turned sideways and there was no possible chance of that movement stopping (again, physics!). Once Celebrini had actually been set for the hit, his opponent already had his back to him. This was not a case of a hit already being lined up, with the opponent recognizing it and turning at the last second. Instead it was a last second change of effort towards going for a hit, at a time where the opponent was already turning and couldn't possibly stop turning. Celebrini did not have a proper target to hit at that point anymore, as he was all but facing the opponent's back even before being set for the hit.

5+game for that is perfectly fine. A game misconduct doesn't require an automatic suspension anymore, so keeping it at that and not handing out a suspension doesn't seem out of the ordinary. You could maybe have given him that one pre-tournament game as a warning shot if you so desired, but the whole thing wasn't exactly a really dirty play, more like an attempted hockey play gone wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille