GDT: WJC, Jan 2 QF, Cesko vs Canada, 8:30 EST

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nah the intelligent trolls like myself just like to rub it in your faces that your teams never win a Cup and the big hockey media (Sportsnet/TSN mainly) doesn't give US teams enough attention.

Meh, the Cup still comes back here for all of the individual celebrations anyway.

Reactions: Smif

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'm not sure if it's hard to understand or not, but we don't get nationalistic when it comes to club competition.

Hell, I was a Rangers fan for my entire childhood.
Then why does the media (TSN/Sportsnet) always say "Which Canadian team will ________" every single week and shove that down our throats? Very nationalistic clickbait IMHO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Then why does the media (TSN/Sportsnet) always say "Which Canadian team will ________" every single week and shove that down our throats? Very nationalistic clickbait IMHO.

Probably because it's much easier to cover 7 teams in any kind of depth than it is to cover 32 teams.

It's a lot better than it used to be.

When I was a Rangers fan, I'd have to follow the team via box scores in the newspaper, the odd highlight package, and the handful of times a season they played Toronto or Montreal.

With the web and social media, you can pretty much follow any team anywhere.

Reactions: luiginb

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canada raises the gold in Ottawa 2025, I'll root for Czech Republic to win this tournament. Who let's not forget had their own back to back moment in 2000 and 2001 World Juniors. Not even nearby Sweden and Finland have accomplished that feat. Only Canada, Czechs and Russians.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The league is 32 teams, not 7. Plenty of Canadians cheer for US teams.

I know that the Bruins are pretty big in Canada, there's plenty Bruins fans from the Maritimes, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland etc. Halifax and Boston also share a lot of historical and cultural history, they are even designated sister cities. Factor in the list of greatest Bruins of all times...Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Esposito, Neely, Oates, Park, Bucyk, in more recent times Bergeron etc, all Canadian legends, our boys.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I know that the Bruins are pretty big in Canada, there's plenty Bruins fans from the Maritimes, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland etc. Halifax and Boston also share a lot of historical and cultural history, they are even designated sister cities. Factor in the list of greatest Bruins of all times...Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Esposito, Neely, Oates, Park, Bucyk, in more recent times Bergeron etc, all Canadian legends, our boys.
Bruins are the popular US team in the league. Most popular US team in Canada, and huge fanbase of course in New England and throughout the States

Reactions: Peiskos

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

My Mom's family were all Bruins fans growing up down East, but they would listen to Boston area radio.

Man, I'm so sorry. I hope you are in therapy.

;)

Hey, they won a Cup. It was fun because playoff games were on CBC.

I was the "Lone Ranger" at my school for awhile until they acquired Mark Messier and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
My Mom's family were all Bruins fans growing up down East, but they would listen to Boston area radio.

Hey, they won a Cup. It was fun because playoff games were on CBC.

I was the "Lone Ranger" at my school for awhile until they acquired Mark Messier and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon.
I'm an Isles fan who grew up in NYC. I did go to the Rangers parade in 94. That was cool.

Reactions: NyQuil

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I dont think you understand how little we care about each others clubs in Canada. I can tell you right away with certainty that Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver fans do not want each others' teams to win a cup before theirs, same with Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa fans.

I want my club team to win the cup. I could honestly care less that Montreal happens to be in Canada and they were the last to win it 30 years ago (and they can stay winless for all I care). Canadian media companies will always simp for the Canadian teams, especially Toronto and Montreal. Idk where youve been all this time to not know this.

Last edited:

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
C'mon, really? It's a CANADIAN broadcast. Despite your allegiance, the majority of Canadian hockey fans follow CANADIAN teams. Which means if you want eyeballs on your broadcasts, you better make them your focus. And more eyeballs equals more $$$. And that's what its all about.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
yea im from NS the bruins probs the biggest fanbase here for non canadian teams.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
One of the weaker Canadian teams weve seen. If Canada was to lose to anybody Id rather it be the Czechs.

Nice to give some other countries another chance to win gold giving the Canadians squad has won 4 of the last 6 tournaments. Thats utter domination. But not today.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Which is why the entire tournament deserves to be questioned

EDIT: it’s such a really weird take that this forum is overwhelmingly in favor of ostracizing Russian kids and hockey players.

I’m never at a loss for surprise in people’s inability to use their own brains
Yes Strangler , you are a legend in your own mind. Or should I say Salt Mine. Kidding. I could care less about Russia.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
They are very good at being runner-ups.
1704230927298.jpeg

Reactions: Sergei DRW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad