GDT: WJC, Jan 2 QF, Cesko vs Canada, 8:30 EST

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Canada should win this one easily, but this team has shown they don't do anything easily.

Hopefully this is the game that they start clicking and the coaching staff wakes up and plays some real lines.

Reactions: horner and bbfan419

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Don’t like the way Canada has played so far, and especially the last two games.

They are not overly fast, not overly skilled, and soft. Celebrini has been excellent though, he deserves praise.

However, this soft perimeter play is going to get them nowhere as the games get tougher.

If they play the way they did against Sweden and Germany, then I expect the Czechs will get the win.

Hopefully Canada figures it out. It’s a new tournament from here on out. They need to bring non stop attacking intensity and play with tempo. This soft and passive perimeter style play where they try to pass the puck into the net while passing up point blank grade A scoring chances is unacceptable.

Canada better bring their lunch buckets and play a wave after wave style of game or they’ll be heading home early and deserve it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It all depends on Hrabal I guess. He just hasn't been good enough this tournament. You can easily see he's a great goalie prospect without real flaws but he just seemed to lose focus during games, to suddenly check out mentally.

Hrabal at his best could be a real problem for Canada. I missed Czechia's game 1 vs Slovakia which was very bad apparently but from then, they've been very solid. If they gave up goals, it has mostly been mistakes by Hrabal. I was worried about Czechia after they lost their three best eligible defenders but others like Hamara or double underager Galvas have filled in very well for the missing guys. The forwards are helping on the backcheck as well...lots of good two way forwards on the roster. Czechia is defending by committee, something you rarely see at the WJC20. In my view, Czechia and Sweden are by far the most solid teams of this tournament. Czechia doesn't nearly have the offensive firepower of Canada but they do have the tournament's best forward (Kulich), one of the most creative forwards of the tournament (Sale) and a real x-factor in Becher so Czechia can hurt any team with their offense as well.

So I like Czechia's chances in this one but for them to win I think Hrabal needs to outplay Rousseau. He's obviously a much better goalie prospect but he has to bring it in this game as well. If he doesn't, questions should be asked regarding why Matecha and Milota weren't on the team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It all depends on Hrabal I guess. He just hasn't been good enough this tournament. You can easily see he's a great goalie prospect without real flaws but he just seemed to lose focus during games, to suddenly check out mentally.

Hrabal at his best could be a real problem for Canada. I missed Czechia's game 1 vs Slovakia which was very bad apparently but from then, they've been very solid. If they gave up goals, it has mostly been mistakes by Hrabal. I was worried about Czechia after they lost their three best eligible defenders but others like Hamara or double underager Galvas have filled in very well for the missing guys. The forwards are helping on the backcheck as well...lots of good two way forwards on the roster. Czechia is defending by committee, something you rarely see at the WJC20. In my view, Czechia and Sweden are by far the most solid teams of this tournament. Czechia doesn't nearly have the offensive firepower of Canada but they do have the tournament's best forward (Kulich), one of the most creative forwards of the tournament (Sale) and a real x-factor in Becher so Czechia can hurt any team with their offense as well.

So I like Czechia's chances in this one but for them to win I think Hrabal needs to outplay Rousseau. He's obviously a much better goalie prospect but he has to bring it in this game as well. If he doesn't, questions should be asked regarding why Matecha and Milota weren't on the team.
Czechcanadian has a perfect summary for the game... If we win... It will be because of hrabal. If we lose... It will be because of hrabal.lol.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
As bad as Canada has played it isn't exactly like the Czechs have been world beaters themselves. That is seeming to be lost here, yes Canada has been disappointing and played well below its level but the Czech similarly have shown a lot of questions as well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
As bad as Canada has played it isn't exactly like the Czechs have been world beaters themselves. That is seeming to be lost here, yes Canada has been disappointing and played well below its level but the Czech similarly have shown a lot of questions as well.
Just one question named Hrabal. I thought the missing defenders could become a problem but others have stepped in for them. The Czechs are an incredibly solid team comparable to Sweden. Much will depend on Hrabal.

Reactions: Czechboy

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Think Celebrini is the best player on the ice, but this game is going to be a battle. I like the Czechs based on what I have seen so far, but I also don't think we have seen the best of Canada. I think they'll figure it out here.

5-3 Canada with an EN goal. Going to be a good one.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This feels like a very winnable game for the Czechs, especially if Canada gives them a lot of PP opportunities. Canada is obviously the favorite but I could see this going either way.

Exactly. Canada was the 2nd most penalized team (behind only Norway) in the group games but their PK has been poor, killing just 3 of 4. They can't continue like this or Czechia is likely gonna punish them. I felt like the Czech PP has been heating up lately.

Lack of discipline and poor special teams often hint at a coaching problem. It's certainly uncharacteristic for Canadian teams at this tournament. They don't often have these sorts of problems. Which is why they're usually successful I guess.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs have a good amount of guys that experienced that heartbreak last year. They’ll be hungry for this one
I doubt Kulich has forgot about that puck skipping over his stick in OT.

I maintain the Czech team is stronger next year. Problem is that I think Canada will be stronger in Ottawa too.lol.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Can't forget the Celebrini factor. He can single handedly account for 3+ goals at any given time.
I think Canada pulls this one off and finds their mojo going forward.

Reactions: horner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad