WJC Group A: Dec 26 GDT - Norway vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

USA! said:
You must not have been at the gold medal game yes some did sell their tickets but the Americans at the game where cheering for Canada. I m in no way trying to step on someones shoes here or trying to have a flame fest just pointing out some facts of what i saw.
Well i dunno.I watched all our games and it was nothing but a sea of red and white,Canadian flags and beer swilling canucks.I'm sure there was a few there(the very,very few that were there) that were cheering for Canada(smart move when your'e outnumbered 8,000 to 12) just like i'm sure there was the odd guy in Vancouver who was cheering for the States.The thing is,it's mostly Canadian fans in Vancouver for the States game,in North Dakota let's face it.................our games were attended by darn near 100% canucks.That'll tell you something right there.
I don't want a flame war either about this thing because the booing does'nt matter really.The only thing that matters to us as fans of our respective teams is whether who we cheer for win.Let's keep talking about that and not some silly booing stuff.The fans have paid big money for those tickets......they can boo or cheer whoever they want.

Now if these same fans were to actually abuse the kids on your team and start throwing things at them that would be a different story and i'd call sleazebag behaviour like that out don't worry(Vancouver fans it's up to you to not engage in crap like that).Until stuff like that get's going,i think it's all fair and all to boo.Canadian fans know the game too you must remember and will look for any edge to get an edge if they think it's possible.Booing the U.S team is as much tactical as anything else,if Canadian hockey fans think mind games will cause some damage......you can be sure they'll engage in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
We'll use Canada as a yardstick as far as I'm concerned. They are the only team on our block this year. Russia is good but overrated to hell considering the only player they have is Malkin.

This would be nice motivation for them if they even accually read anything from these boards.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
USA! said:
I was just reading an article in the paper saying all the American kids were being booed quite often. Why is this last year I attended the games in North Dakota it was great. I went to all the team Canada games and USA games I never heard ne of the Americans booing team Canada. In fact in the gold medal game all the Americans that were in my area where cheering for Canada. Sad that these players under 20 years of age have to listin to that garbage when playing their hearts out for their countrys. I guess North Dakota must have had a different group of people watching these young men play. :shakehead

The only reason the US fans cheered for Canada was because they hated the Russians more for the incidents in their medal round game. Also at the Gold medal game there were lots of Canadians that drove down to see it. Hell guys, Vancouver is close to Seattle ...come on up and cheer your boys on.

espo*

jcorb58 said:
The only reason the US fans cheered for Canada was because they hated the Russians more for the incidents in their medal round game. Also at the Gold medal game there were lots of Canadians that drove down to see it. Hell guys, Vancouver is close to Seattle ...come on up and cheer your boys on.
Thats what i would say.Just have the love for the game and come up and cheer for your team.Canadian fans sure did last year.

Until that happens,i think it's respect from Canuck fans myself,we WANT to watch the U.S play.Hell............we show their games on t.v here.Do we get A bad rap? you betcha!!!

I just can't see why people don't realise this.

And we had tons of fans for ever game,not just the gold medal one.All of our games were primarily attended by Canadian fans.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
cyclops said:
Well i dunno.I watched all our games and it was nothing but a sea of red and white,Canadian flags and beer swilling canucks.I'm sure there was a few there(the very,very few that were there) that were cheering for Canada(smart move when your'e outnumbered 8,000 to 12) just like i'm sure there was the odd guy in Vancouver who was cheering for the States.The thing is,it's mostly Canadian fans in Vancouver for the States game,in North Dakota let's face it.................our games were attended by darn near 100% canucks.That'll tell you something right there.
I don't want a flame war either about this thing because the booing does'nt matter really.The only thing that matters to us as fans of our respective teams is whether who we cheer for win.Let's keep talking about that and not some silly booing stuff.The fans have paid big money for those tickets......they can boo or cheer whoever they want.

Now if these same fans were to actually abuse the kids on your team and start throwing things at them that would be a different story and i'd call sleazebag behaviour like that out don't worry(Vancouver fans it's up to you to not engage in crap like that).Until stuff like that get's going,i think it's all fair and all to boo.Canadian fans know the game too you must remember and will look for any edge to get an edge if they think it's possible.Booing the U.S team is as much tactical as anything else,if Canadian hockey fans think mind games will cause some damage......you can be sure they'll engage in it.

That’s BS, it has nothing to do with tactics it’s all about the childish hate for the US so many Canadians have and you know it. Personally I think it shows poor sportsmanship on our part and I find the booing disturbing. Look I’m not a big fan of US foreign policy or their president but to boo a group of kids, who BTW, play hockey the way we do, just shows a lack of class. Of all the international games that Canada has played on US soil I do not remember any occasion where Americans booed Canada, in fact in games that have not featured the US they have cheered for us.

espo*

Kinbote said:
That’s BS, it has nothing to do with tactics it’s all about the childish hate for the US so many Canadians have and you know it. Personally I think it shows poor sportsmanship on our part and I find the booing disturbing. Look I’m not a big fan of US foreign policy or their president but to boo a group of kids, who BTW, play hockey the way we do, just shows a lack of class. Of all the international games that Canada has played on US soil I do not remember any occasion where Americans booed Canada, in fact in games that have not featured the US they have cheered for us.

Like i've already said,this crying over the booing thing is teenagy and i think YOU do know that.We don't have to defend our love of the game to you or anyone else.When they stop selling off their tickets to Canada's games because the U.S is no longer in it...............come back and talk to me.Until then,you don'tknow our psyche at all.I can't help that.

Transported Upstater

Some people aren't using their heads.

Do you expect Canadian fans to cheer for the United States? If I was Canadian, I sure as hell wouldn't cheer for a big rival, not to mention the favored team in this tournament.

How many of us have cheered for an underdog in a sports tournament when our team isn't playing? Try everyone.
Who didn't cheer for "Rudy" in the movie? I hate Notre Dame, and I cry (I admit it shamelessly) everytime I see that particular underdog story.

Canada/USA games are awesome because of all the nationalistic tension. There are PLENTY of Americans who cheer for any team that is playing Canada in any given contest, as many Americans view Hockey Canada as Goliath, and feel that USA Hockey is David by comparison. And, while Canada is much better than a David, face it my Yankee pals, USA IS, IN THIS CASE, THIS TOURNEY'S GOLIATH. That doesn't mean they will win, that just means that on paper they should. But hockey games are not played on paper. Paper football is played with paper, and I am damn good at paper football...

(Personally, I think the Americans are the best team on paper, but several teams could win this tourney and that Canada is the champs until knocked off.)

I cheered for Switzerland against Canada today. I love Canada as a country. Why did I cheer for the Swiss? Because they were underdogs trying to prove themselves. If I wasn't American, you can be damn sure I would have been cheering HARD for the Norwegians.

Why is it so hard for people to understand why someone would want their team to lose?

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
TransportedUpstater said:
Some people aren't using their heads.

Do you expect Canadian fans to cheer for the United States? If I was Canadian, I sure as hell wouldn't cheer for a big rival, not to mention the favored team in this tournament.

How many of us have cheered for an underdog in a sports tournament when our team isn't playing? Try everyone.
Who didn't cheer for "Rudy" in the movie? I hate Notre Dame, and I cry (I admit it shamelessly) everytime I see that particular underdog story.

Canada/USA games are awesome because of all the nationalistic tension. There are PLENTY of Americans who cheer for any team that is playing Canada in any given contest, as many Americans view Hockey Canada as Goliath, and feel that USA Hockey is David by comparison. And, while Canada is much better than a David, face it my Yankee pals, USA IS, IN THIS CASE, THIS TOURNEY'S GOLIATH. That doesn't mean they will win, that just means that on paper they should. But hockey games are not played on paper. Paper football is played with paper, and I am damn good at paper football...

(Personally, I think the Americans are the best team on paper, but several teams could win this tourney and that Canada is the champs until knocked off.)

I cheered for Switzerland against Canada today. I love Canada as a country. Why did I cheer for the Swiss? Because they were underdogs trying to prove themselves. If I wasn't American, you can be damn sure I would have been cheering HARD for the Norwegians.

Why is it so hard for people to understand why someone would want their team to lose?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
I fail to see how any of the recent discussion in this thread is about the Norway/USA game. Back on topic please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad