WJC Group A: Dec 26 GDT - Norway vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeycanada*

Joe Hallenback said:
Ill cheer for the Americans before I would ever cheer for the Russians or the Czechs
I'd never cheer for any of these teams, especially the Russians and Americans. When Canada isn't playing, I usually cheer for Finland or the underdog.

espo*

Joe Hallenback said:
Ill cheer for the Americans before I would ever cheer for the Russians or the Czechs
Thats reasonable.Myself,as soon as Canada is out,cheering for anyone isn't an option.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Hockeycanada said:
You really see a problem with this? I sure don't. Canadians are very passionate about hockey and we would love to see the favourites lose. Bob McKenzie is correct, in a twisted way it is a sign of respect for the American team.

No, I see no problem at all. I was just pointing out to Sammy that the idea that "Canadians don't care about anyone but Canada" in this tournament is, in a word, ridiculous.

espo*

nomorekids said:
No, I see no problem at all. I was just pointing out to Sammy that the idea that "Canadians don't care about anyone but Canada" in this tournament is, in a word, ridiculous.
oh,i agree.We sure care about you guys this year,no question.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
My main man Robbie Schremp!!!
just watched a replay of this game and Man what a team. Wow, skating ,hitting, shooting, size everything is their. The whole team is awsome but their is just somthing about watching schremp play hockey, hes not the biggest or fastest, but it doesnt look like he needs to be. No one will challenge him because he will dangle right past and let the lazer go. This is gunna be fun GO USA!!!

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The company I work for has a Norweigan president and we are incredibly close to a strike. I was hoping the US would have put another touchdown on the board. Norway perhaps should practice 5 on 3 's today. Jonas Holos, #11 should be on a "how not to play defense" video. The Norweigan PK had a good shape but was not good enough on the PK forecheck and when presented some chances between the half boards and blueline to get pucks out they could not. The game could have been closer if Holos had not dressed, I can clearly recall three goals he was directly responsible for. I do not like the way relegation/promotion works at the Junior level right now. It works fine for senior level where national teams do not change much from year to year. Here promotion with veterans usually gets you a beating at top level and a quick shuttle back. I liked the one team relegation. belarus and germany are on the way back up again and have proven they are capable of being on this level most years. They may not win many games but they can be in them and give the paying customers more bang for the buck. In halifax 2002 germany and belarus had some very competent performances, adding to the value of being at every game. Who is going to get excited about Norway /Canada? Not I .

Hockeycanada*

2 teams get relegated every year right? Maybe they should change it to just 1 team.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
Maybe right now in temrs of skill, but not on this team right now. He is no where near as big of a contributer.

Exactly, that's my point. And mark my words it will cost the States if they continue to screw him over.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just finished watching the game, Damn Kessel is SO FAST! I had forgotten just how fast this kid is, and he is so strong on his skates, he was bowling over players from the other team not even looking. I loved how the announcers said he lacked playmaking ability then he goes out and gets 5 primary assists.

The defense of Johnson and Johnson was very strong. Teams are going to fear getting nailed by them.

I didnt like Schremps cocky between the legs shot he tried in game, like the announcers said, if he did that in an OHL game he would have a broken arm.

Lee looked horrible out there like he did last year. Maybe it was just first game jitters, but he better snap out of it.

Sammy*

nomorekids said:
By the way...to the comment that "Canadians don't care if the Americans lose, they only care that the Canadians win"

uh...BS. A few thousand jeering Canadian fans that booed every American goal, cheered every Norwegian hit and raucously taunted the American team when the third goal was waved off(rightfully, I'm not sure what Fritsche was thinking) would seem to disagree with you.
Heres a newsflash for ya Bud. They are playing the Norweigans. The Norweigans are massive underdogs & are getting clubbed. Do you actually think that Canadians (or anyone else) would react any different if it was any team other than the States (of course, not including Canada) that that was happenning to?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
A couple of things:

RYAN WAS NOT THE 13TH FORWARD. Get over it, he got plenty of ice time and didn't look spectacular. Wheeler was the 13th and hardly saw any time at all. There doesn't appear to be any bias at all on this team, unfortunately ;)

Canadians absolutely are cheering against the USA, not just for the Norwegians. I don't want to get into the root of it, but imo it isn't just the underdog, and it's kind of dumb. Blind mindless anti Americanism is annoying, and even though it isn't "real", it's still childish. I hope it's just because everyone keeps touting the Americans as the favourites, which frustrates people like me who think it's unfounded (or at least heavily exaggerated), but I think it's really more an outlet for frustration in other areas. In any case, I think people who think the cheering for the underdog thing is the only factor in the atmosphere last night are fooling themselves; it absolutely has something to do with it being the Americans on the other side. Of course the underdog will always get some support, but I'm willing to bet it won't be nearly so hearty when it's Finland vs Norway.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
Greg7 said:
A couple of things:

Canadians absolutely are cheering against the USA, not just for the Norwegians. I don't want to get into the root of it, but imo it isn't just the underdog, and it's kind of dumb. Blind mindless anti Americanism is annoying, and even though it isn't "real", it's still childish. I hope it's just because everyone keeps touting the Americans as the favourites, which frustrates people like me who think it's unfounded (or at least heavily exaggerated), but I think it's really more an outlet for frustration in other areas. In any case, I think people who think the cheering for the underdog thing is the only factor in the atmosphere last night are fooling themselves; it absolutely has something to do with it being the Americans on the other side. Of course the underdog will always get some support, but I'm willing to bet it won't be nearly so hearty when it's Finland vs Norway.

Absolutely correct. For some reason, the Canadians just love to see us lose.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Greg7 said:
A couple of things:

RYAN WAS NOT THE 13TH FORWARD. Get over it, he got plenty of ice time and didn't look spectacular. Wheeler was the 13th and hardly saw any time at all. There doesn't appear to be any bias at all on this team, unfortunately ;)

Ryan was not on any forwardline. That is the 13th forward.

espo*

Fake Plastic Sabre said:
Absolutely correct. For some reason, the Canadians just love to see us lose.
Well,from what i've seen around here,Americans really enjoy seeing us fail too.I guess it's just the rivalry.Really,Can-U.S is the biggest rivalry the respective countries have today in hockey.Don't expect any cheering,i know i don't expect any from you guys.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Sammy said:
Heres a newsflash for ya Bud. They are playing the Norweigans. The Norweigans are massive underdogs & are getting clubbed. Do you actually think that Canadians (or anyone else) would react any different if it was any team other than the States (of course, not including Canada) that that was happenning to?

This is some complex you have, here. Nowhere did I say that this win was proof that the USA was the best team in this tournament. I called it a "statment win," simply in that they drubbed a team they should drub, which in this tournament...doesn't always happen. I saw a lot of things I liked, something I could not say at any point last year. I think this is the best American WJC team that I can recall seeing, and I...like a lot of other American fans...are excited about it.

So why the attitude, "bud?"

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
pucks1 said:
just watched a replay of this game and Man what a team. Wow, skating ,hitting, shooting, size everything is their. The whole team is awsome but their is just somthing about watching schremp play hockey, hes not the biggest or fastest, but it doesnt look like he needs to be. No one will challenge him because he will dangle right past and let the lazer go. This is gunna be fun GO USA!!!

Wow, yea, they dominated Norway. There's a shocker :biglaugh:

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
nomorekids said:
He was commenting on the team itself. Put your jealousy\hatred back in your pocket.

Jealousy? Hatred? Naaa, just thought it was funny to use Norway as a yardstick to team USA's hockey ability :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad