WJC Group A: Dec 26 GDT - Norway vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Pathfinder said:
Jealousy? Hatred? Naaa, just thought it was funny to use Norway as a yardstick to team USA's hockey ability :D

Na we'll have to use Finland as a yardstick :)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sammy said:
Heres a news flasah for you. Most Canadians could really care less about the Americans. All they really care about is having Canada win.

Right, which is why the Canadians at the game were booing the US and cheering for Norway. :biglaugh:

I bet a lot of Canadians would be laughing their asses off and gloating on these very boards had the US played poorly or Norway defeated the US. Anyone who denies it is full of it.

And I hope the Canadian fans attending the games continue booing the US throughout the tournament. It'll be bittersweet to hear the beauty of silence when the US defeats Canada and captures the gold.

espo*

Ziggy Stardust said:
Right, which is why the Canadians at the game were booing the US and cheering for Norway. :biglaugh:

I bet a lot of Canadians would be laughing their asses off and gloating on these very boards had the US played poorly or Norway defeated the US. Anyone who denies it is full of it.

And I hope the Canadian fans attending the games continue booing the US throughout the tournament. It'll be bittersweet to hear the beauty of silence when the US defeats Canada and captures the gold.
You have'nt won that gold yet.

Take it easy,i see U.S fans here gloating all the time when Canada suffers a setback.We're rivals in this game,what do you expect?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
USA! said:
Na we'll have to use Finland as a yardstick :)

We'll use Canada as a yardstick as far as I'm concerned. They are the only team on our block this year. Russia is good but overrated to hell considering the only player they have is Malkin.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
cyclops said:
It's hockey,we're Canada.....................we've got no pals here.We want to win,they are in the way.We are'nt going to cheer for them.By cheering against them it signals our respect more then anything else.Sorry if some people don't understand that.

Agreed...plus Norway is a tremendous underdog. Why wouldn't you cheer for an underdog who's playing completely over their heads?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Greg7 said:
A couple of things:

RYAN WAS NOT THE 13TH FORWARD. Get over it, he got plenty of ice time and didn't look spectacular. Wheeler was the 13th and hardly saw any time at all. There doesn't appear to be any bias at all on this team, unfortunately ;)

For what it matters, Bobby Ryan was listed as the thirteenth forward by Team USA in their gameday lines they give to the media.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
For what it matters, Bobby Ryan was listed as the thirteenth forward by Team USA in their gameday lines they give to the media.
That's interesting, because he most certainly played much more than Blake Wheeler, both even strength and PP. At least it explains why all these people think he was the 13th, because having been at the game I can tell you with 100% certainty that while he didn't play a whole lot, he did get a decent chunk of ice time (I'd guess about 10-12 minutes), and Blake Wheeler barely played (I'd guess about 2 minutes).

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Those are presumably the not completely accurate lines distributed, and the reason people think Ryan was the 13th? In any case, all the special teams made lines pretty irrelavant.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
Just finished watching the game, Damn Kessel is SO FAST! I had forgotten just how fast this kid is, and he is so strong on his skates, he was bowling over players from the other team not even looking. I loved how the announcers said he lacked playmaking ability then he goes out and gets 5 primary assists.

The defense of Johnson and Johnson was very strong. Teams are going to fear getting nailed by them.

I didnt like Schremps cocky between the legs shot he tried in game, like the announcers said, if he did that in an OHL game he would have a broken arm.

Lee looked horrible out there like he did last year. Maybe it was just first game jitters, but he better snap out of it.
Do you really think it was ment to be cocky? it was such a fast shot that i didnt even see it, it even fooled the goalie. Do u think he would have got off a harder quicker shot with a backhander? no, he wouldnt, the goalie would have gobbled it up. And who cares if the other team gets mad, their supposed to. And if they start taking runs at schremp, then let the penalties come. Anything to get the other team off their game, i like the move.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just a few thoughts on the game after viewing it last night:

The good:

The Kessel/Bourque/Porter & Oshie/Skille/Gerbe lines. Palpable chemistry and a nice mix of talent.

Johnson & Johnson. Probably the most skilled and imposing defensive pairing in the tournament. These guys can do it all.

The PP with Schremp running the show. Constant pressure and you can tell Robbie's a natural.

The bad:

Lack of discipline early in the game. I know it's the 1st game, but you can tell right way how a ref's going to call a game.

Wandering focus. The team as a whole let down it's guard from time-to-time. This can't be done against better opponents.

Defensive breakdowns. Again, better teams will exploits such breakdowns.

Blake Wheeler's puckhandling. It look liked he was playing with a grenade. I've seen much better out of him at Minnesota, so hopefully it was just nerves.

The ugly:

Walt Kyle's suit. Night at the Roxbury?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Greg7 said:
Those are presumably the not completely accurate lines distributed, and the reason people think Ryan was the 13th? In any case, all the special teams made lines pretty irrelavant.

I'm not saying if they're right or wrong, that's just what was made available to us in the media centre.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
pucks1 said:
Do you really think it was ment to be cocky? it was such a fast shot that i didnt even see it, it even fooled the goalie. Do u think he would have got off a harder quicker shot with a backhander? no, he wouldnt, the goalie would have gobbled it up. And who cares if the other team gets mad, their supposed to. And if they start taking runs at schremp, then let the penalties come. Anything to get the other team off their game, i like the move.

I saw it as a sign of disrespect. I highly doubt he would have tried that move against team Canada.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
I saw it as a sign of disrespect. I highly doubt he would have tried that move against team Canada.
Why not, he tried it in the prospects game, and he did it when i played with him in the oha. I know its not the same as team canada but still, im sure if it came down to a soft back hander or a tricky shot that might fool the goalie... hed take the tricky one.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
pucks1 said:
Why not, he tried it in the prospects game, and he did it when i played with him in the oha. I know its not the same as team canada but still, im sure if it came down to a soft back hander or a tricky shot that might fool the goalie... hed take the tricky one.
I think the point is that a move like that will get you clocked against Canada, so regardless of whether or not it's effective, which I highly doubt against a stronger defenseman, he probably isn't going to try it. The fact that he probably feels that he can get away with it against Norway but not against Canada is a slight sign of disrespect to Norway imo, even though it might be warranted. In any case, I don't think it was a big deal.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Rabid Ranger said:
Just a few thoughts on the game after viewing it last night:

The good:

The Kessel/Bourque/Porter & Oshie/Skille/Gerbe lines. Palpable chemistry and a nice mix of talent.

Johnson & Johnson. Probably the most skilled and imposing defensive pairing in the tournament. These guys can do it all.

The PP with Schremp running the show. Constant pressure and you can tell Robbie's a natural.

Kessel & Bourque were awesome together. Bourque doesn't get enough credit. I thought he was one of the best players on Team USA last year before he went down. Kessel showed a more complete game then I saw last year. Oshie was full of energy out there. EJ impressed me more then JJ.

Rabid Ranger said:
The bad:

Lack of discipline early in the game. I know it's the 1st game, but you can tell right way how a ref's going to call a game.

Wandering focus. The team as a whole let down it's guard from time-to-time. This can't be done against better opponents.

Defensive breakdowns. Again, better teams will exploits such breakdowns.

Blake Wheeler's puckhandling. It look liked he was playing with a grenade. I've seen much better out of him at Minnesota, so hopefully it was just nerves.

As much as the USA was undisciplined, I don't think they were all that worried about giving up PPs to Norway. They will likely reign it in against a tougher opponent. I agree with you on Wheeler. He looked awful out there. Team USA can score, but defensively they weren't challenged at all.

Finland will be a better measuring stick as they are the 3rd best team in our pool.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
I was just reading an article in the paper saying all the American kids were being booed quite often. Why is this last year I attended the games in North Dakota it was great. I went to all the team Canada games and USA games I never heard ne of the Americans booing team Canada. In fact in the gold medal game all the Americans that were in my area where cheering for Canada. Sad that these players under 20 years of age have to listin to that garbage when playing their hearts out for their countrys. I guess North Dakota must have had a different group of people watching these young men play. :shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
USA! said:
I was just reading an article in the paper saying all the American kids were being booed quite often. Why is this last year I attended the games in North Dakota it was great. I went to all the team Canada games and USA games I never heard ne of the Americans booing team Canada. In fact in the gold medal game all the Americans that were in my area where cheering for Canada. Sad that these players under 20 years of age have to listin to that garbage when playing their hearts out for their countrys. I guess North Dakota must have had a different group of people watching these young men play. :shakehead

British Columbia is definately differant than North Dakota.........

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
USA! said:
I am not trying to justify booing the US but in North dakota , Canada's games were heavily attended by Canadians and they normally do not boo their own unless they are losing. Then many feel that is the appropriate thing to do.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
USA! said:

Not all fans are ignorant, but Vancouver has a track record of showing Anti-American sentiment at international games. Every hockey player is used to being booed ... the louder they boo, the better you must be. Don't take it to heart, being booed can pump you up just as much as being cheered on and I'm sure Team USA doesn't care ... if anything it is a great motivator to make the crowd shut up.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I am not trying to justify booing the US but in North dakota , Canada's games were heavily attended by Canadians and they normally do not boo their own unless they are losing. Then many feel that is the appropriate thing to do.

I understand that I was at the games there was also lots of people at the US games from Canada and they were never booing most were very classy people to tell u the truth. The hotel I stayed at was full of people from Manitoba and were great people to talk to and have a few beers with. Oh well different strokes for different folks I guess.

espo*

The booing thing is old here now.Even Rob schremp said he did'nt think it was strange at all since since it was'nt his experience to see American fans cheering for Canadian teams.Americans were'nt cheering for Canada in North Dakota,they did'nt even attend our games.Once the U.S went out they sold their tickets.............they could'nt even be bothered to care to come and boo us.That says it all,Canada..........they don't matter.Leave British Columbians and Canadian hockey fans alone,you have NO moral high ground people.

On a related note.Hockey Canada gave the Czech republic team 16,000 clams to replace both their money and belongings taken in that sleazeball robbery and told them just to concentrate on hockey.Again............leave us and our fans alone.concentrate on your game with us,that's where your focus should be,not this silly poor me they booed us stuff.Their is no law saying U.S teams MUST get cheered.It's not a God given privledge you've earned.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
cyclops said:
The booing thing is old here now.Even Rob schremp said he did'nt think it was strange at all since since it was'nt his experience to see American fans cheering for Canadian teams.Americans were'nt cheering for Canada in North Dakota,they did'nt even attend our games.Once the U.S went out they sold their tickets.............they could'nt even be bothered to care to come and boo us.That says it all,Canada..........they don't matter.Leave British Columbians and Canadian hockey fans alone,you have NO moral high ground people.

On a related note.Hockey Canada gave the Czech republic team 16,000 clams to replace both their money and belongings taken in that sleazeball robbery and told them just to concentrate on hockey.Again............leave us and our fans alone.concentrate on your game with us,that's where your focus should be,not this silly poor me they booed us stuff.Their is no law saying U.S teams MUST get cheered.It's not a God given privledge you've earned.

You must not have been at the gold medal game yes some did sell their tickets but the Americans at the game where cheering for Canada. I m in no way trying to step on someones shoes here or trying to have a flame fest just pointing out some facts of what i saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad