GDT: WJC Finland - Canada, Dec 26, 2023

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's a 4th liner at best. Putting the C on him was a mistake as it almost forces the coaching staff to play him minutes he doesn't deserve.

Too bad he wasn't American.
The C doesn’t have to be on one of the elite players that’s silly. If he’s a leader in the room then the C can be warranted.

He’s not a bad player, I just can’t figure out what kind of player he’s supposed to be

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The C doesn’t have to be on one of the elite players that’s silly. If he’s a leader in the room then the C can be warranted.

He’s not a bad player, I just can’t figure out what kind of player he’s supposed to be
I don't like his game. Its not Leaf hate - he just serves little purpose. He's a 3rd liner at best.

On the other hand i like Easton's energy as he brings something different to Team Canada.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think Celebrini needs better linemates. Savoie needs to be more discipline, he took a lot of stupid lazy penalties..

I would rock the following lineup.

Geekie - Celebrini - Savoie
Cowan - Poitras - Dumais
Rehkopf - Minten - Wood
Allard - Beck - Danielson
Yager
Yes. He was trying too hard, got frustrated and hurt the team. If he continues, nail him to the bench.

Finland doesn’t suck either, they have alot of good hockey players.
Agree. Also, all teams play very strong in their first game - they're hyped and full of energy.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Nate the Great
nice game from him

Wouldn't call that a strong performance from Team Canada but it was good enough.
Finnish goalie was good, rest of the team not so much.
For our first game, I thought we played well. Again, Finland, in front of a home(ish) crowd, was going to over achieve in Game 1.

Finland won't be flopping to a win in this game
:)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gotta give the Finns props. They showed up ready to compete today.

But God, this Canada squad so far loves shooting themselves in the foot. Sloppy, bad passes, poor positioning, etc.

Has led to a bit of a parade to the box.
^^ This. ^^

100% accurate. Because it's the first game at (semi) home against Canada, you knew the Finns would over achieve.

The team needs time to gel.

That’s a penalty but I’m forever flabbergasted by how Canada dominates puck possession of each and every WJC game yet pretty much ALWAYS suffers from remarkably more PKs than PPs.
:thumbu:

We're not going to get the calls in Europe. Just not going to happen.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't like his game. Its not Leaf hate - he just serves little purpose. He's a 3rd liner at best.

On the other hand i like Easton's energy as he brings something different to Team Canada.
I agree, it still doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve the C. We have no idea what the dressing room is like or what kind of leader he is around the team

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019

Yeah, no issues with Easton. He's a good player.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
For our first game, I thought we played well. Again, Finland, in front of a home(ish) crowd, was going to over achieve in Game 1.

It really isn't the first game though, they had a bunch of pre-tournament games. Finland doesn't have a strong team this year and I thought even considering that they played pretty poorly as a unit.

Liked Canada's first 10-15 minutes a lot, but after that it was a lot of individual hero puck, bad penalties, and crap passes. They were the better team and deserved a win but I don't think you could bring that same game against USA or Sweden and expect the same result.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It really isn't the first game though, they had a bunch of pre-tournament games. Finland doesn't have a strong team this year and I thought even considering that they played pretty poorly as a unit.
It's like the opening game of any sports season. Pre-season be damned, Game 1 is a HUGE motivator. Ever notice how often Super Bowl champs lose on opening day? Teams gets pumped for Game 1.

Liked Canada's first 10-15 minutes a lot, but after that it was a lot of individual hero puck, bad penalties, and crap passes. They were the better team and deserved a win but I don't think you could bring that same game against USA or Sweden and expect the same result.
Let's just enjoy the win.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Canada wasn't at its best here, but they weren't particularly bad either. The Finns are never easy to beat and though Canada appeared underwhelming itwas still a fairly well managed game by them.

But most importantly, had you given me the offer before the game of a lackluster performance from our team in general, but with a very steady performance from our goaltender who has had a lot of questions coming into this, I would have absolutely jumped on that offer.

Reactions: Mooche

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada wasn't at its best here, but they weren't particularly bad either. The Finns are never easy to beat and though Canada appeared underwhelming itwas still a fairly well managed game by them.

But most importantly, had you given me the offer before the game of a lackluster performance from our team in general, but with a very steady performance from our goaltender who has had a lot of questions coming into this, I would have absolutely jumped on that offer.
Yes. All and all, a good start to the tournament.

Reactions: brentashton

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Ben Jones kind of ceiling if he hits his full potential.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
When I started watching (this evening), my first thought was that it was really odd to have both refs and a linesman from Sweden. Swedes and Finns traditionally are not the best of friends. Not as bad as having two East German refs for a Canada/Russia game (back in the day), but still odd.

There were a couple of clear penalties by Canadians (like the high stick) that weren't called, and several more (mainly tripping) that were in the could/should have been called range.

I have no problem with the 'let them play' style, but even as a Canadian and Canadian fan, that was very lopsided officiating.

On a separate note, I've never seen or even heard of a 'too early (quick?) change'. I could see a 'too many men' call, although neither player was close to being involved in the play. But a stoppage with no penalty?

Has anyone heard of that before, or have any explanation?

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil and MM917

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I thought it was a pretty even game, edge to Canada.

Being a retired goalie myself, I felt sorry for theirs on our first two.

The prettiest goal was the deflection for the first Finnish one.

• Haha
Reactions: MM917

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I thought it was a pretty even game, edge to Canada.

Being a retired goalie myself, I felt sorry for theirs on our first two.

The prettiest goal was the deflection for the first Finnish one.

As bad as the Canadians played it was not an even game, Canada was clearly the better team. 5 on 5 Finland did not threaten them at all.

As for the refs being biased in favor of Canada? Bwahahahaha come on

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
One goal off a player's butt, another off the post and the goalie, and two empty net goals.

And in a couple of spectacular saves by Rousseau and a lot of uncalled penalties, and we may have been lucky to get the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad