GDT: WJC Finland - Canada, Dec 26, 2023

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When I started watching (this evening), my first thought was that it was really odd to have both refs and a linesman from Sweden. Swedes and Finns traditionally are not the best of friends. Not as bad as having two East German refs for a Canada/Russia game (back in the day), but still odd.

I find it hilarious because when Canadian teams play with American officials there's a "pro North American bias" but when it's Swedish or Finnish refs officiating the other Nordic team, there's a "rivalry".

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I find it hilarious because when Canadian teams play with American officials there's a "pro North American bias" but when it's Swedish or Finnish refs officiating the other Nordic team, there's a "rivalry".
There is appreciably more history of animosity between Sweden and the Finns than you may realize.

There is, for example, a long history of both Sweden and Russia using the Finns as cannon fodder against the other.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There is appreciably more history of animosity between Sweden and the Finns than you may realize.

There is, for example, a long history of both Sweden and Russia using the Finns as cannon fodder against the other.

Or of British and Canadian troops burning down the White House.

The impacts on the subconscious of American and Canadian officials through the ages is palpable and can't be discounted.

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020

And yet theres an idiot poster in this thread that called the Finns as having "almost home ice" LOL

Reactions: notDatsyuk

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
One goal off a player's butt, another off the post and the goalie, and two empty net goals.

And in a couple of spectacular saves by Rousseau and a lot of uncalled penalties, and we may have been lucky to get the win.

LOL

No not lucky we dominated 5 on 5. If there were uncalled penalties it certainly wasn't in favor of Canada.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Or of British and Canadian troops burning down the White House.

The impacts on the subconscious of American and Canadian officials through the ages is palpable and can't be discounted.
One incident over 200 years ago is the same as centuries of hostilities, some much more recent.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
LOL

No not lucky we dominated 5 on 5. If there were uncalled penalties it certainly wasn't in favor of Canada.
If that has been a game between, for example Montreal in red and white and Toronto in blue, Leafs fans would be screaming bloody murder.

(The other way around, Habs fans would be doing the same, but in French.:sarcasm:)

Your bias is showing.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
If that has been a game between, for example Montreal in red and white and Toronto in blue, Leafs fans would be screaming bloody murder.

(The other way around, Habs fans would be doing the same, but in French.:sarcasm:)

Your bias is showing.

No if that what you are claiming was the case Finnish fans would be screaming about it they aren't.

As someone said Canada had by far the majority of possession and still had the most penalties. That says a lot about the officiating,

The refs were fine and if anything a little harsh on Canada. You trying to claim othewise is silly and shows your clear agenda.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Like when a German official refs a game involving Canada or the US against Sweden or Finland?
Nowhere near the same - you should read up on it a bit, it's quite interesting.

Closer would be Palestinian officials in an Israeli/Egyptian soccer game. (Not that bad, but closer.)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nowhere near the same - you should read up on it a bit, it's quite interesting.

Closer would be Palestinian officials in an Israeli/Egyptian soccer game. (Not that bad, but closer.)

Not even close. I mean, really?

The point being that, aside from referees refraining from officiating their own birth countries due to optics, extending it outward to encompass any number of historical, geopolitical or cultural rivalries is stupid.

Read up on the Nordic Passport Union and then tell me that it’s like Israel, Palestine and Egypt.

Canadians can’t even enter the States without a passport anymore.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What that video should prove?
Are you suggesting that Helenius is not worth of TOP10 pick or what's the actual point?

why would the video be trying to prove something? The Habs stink so I include a lot of the upcoming draft eligible prospects when I can. He's currently in our range so I figure Hab fans or anyone that watches my vids would be interested in seeing his shifts.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad