WJC: Dec 27 GDT - Canada 6 USA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Funny to see so many crying about what happened to Price but then laughing about what happened to Zatkoff. Maybe next time the whining should be saved until after the game is over?

Canada outworked the U.S. for most of the game, that's nothing new. Pretty surprising how awful both Johnson's looked out there, but they were both brutal.

the difference is the American player ran into the goalie untouched and it was clearly goaltender interference. He also had his skate inside the crease when the puck wasn't in the crease. 2 blatant mistakes by the ref/linesmen. Helm on the other hand was tripped into the goalie and had no one of avoiding contact, the puck went 5 hole even before the collision from what I could tell. Either way it would've be a penalty shot even had the puck not gone in the net.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Canada was the better team is every area. Faster, better passing, better forechecking, harder working, better goaltending, better defense and without any question far better special teams.

...and that penalty shot was a thing of beauty.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Was a pretty good game. There were some bad penalties called, and some bad non-calls as well, but besides the Americans 3rd goal, everything else probably evened out.

I think our team needed to face some adversity early in the tournament so they could get used to it and overcome it in case something happened later when it really mattered.

Germany on Friday... I'm pretty impressed with how the German hockey program is coming along. They started out similar to how Sweden started out years ago. Had to learn to play defense first to stay in games... now they're bringing along some talented players. Obviously I think Canada should win. We'll have to see how the Germans take to the Canadians forecheck. They haven't had to face that yet.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Funny to see so many crying about what happened to Price but then laughing about what happened to Zatkoff. Maybe next time the whining should be saved until after the game is over?

Canada outworked the U.S. for most of the game, that's nothing new. Pretty surprising how awful both Johnson's looked out there, but they were both brutal.

difference, the Canadian was tripped, the USA player just ran into price full speed without help.

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
EJ is having a rough tournament so far
+
He is a Blues prospect

=

Some reactionary idiots on here will start trying to label him as a "bust" real soon:shakehead

Its funny how the very tourny that propelled him to #1 last year, is now making doubters of him. I think he will be a fine player however.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
the difference is the American player ran into the goalie untouched and it was clearly goaltender interference. He also had his skate inside the crease when the puck wasn't in the crease. 2 blatant mistakes by the ref/linesmen. Helm on the other hand was tripped into the goalie and had no one of avoiding contact, the puck went 5 hole even before the collision from what I could tell. Either way it would've be a penalty shot even had the puck not gone in the net.

yah, the puck was in the net before Contact with the goalie.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Good game. Thought the reffing was terrible. USA's last goal should have been a goaltending interfence penalty not a USA goal, none the less Canada came right back and scored a similar one. I was really impressed with Okposo on the Americans great skater and hard worker seemed to be really involved when he was on the ice. I thought Price had another solid game not much he could do on any of the goals first one he was screened by several players and it was a perfectly placed shot by Johnson, 2nd goal was just a straight up weird bounce off the glass behind the net and right on to the stick of an American player who had an open net then 3rd was just complete BS, missed call. Helm looked impressive as well I hadn't heard of him before the tounry but great speed, I thought the TSN guys were dead on saying he'll fit in nicely with Detroit replacing the likes of Draper and Maltby someday in similar roles.

ArtursSilovsShirt

King Arturs 👑
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I know Pierre MacQuire is a freaking idiot...but anyone know why he doesn't even know that Toews scored in last year's World Juniors...He keeps saying.

"Toews tonight with his first ever WJ goal!"
"That penalty shot is his secondever WJ goal.."

:dunno: :shakehead :banghead:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I f*n take both. Red Wings prospect actually driving the net? Good lord the novelty.

:biglaugh:

I know, I thought the same thing when I noticed.

Abdelkader actually got stronger as the game went on and began to earn a regular shift. I guess you could say the same thing for Helm, both played key roles in the third period and left a good impression with me.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Some thoughts:

1) Canada played the game I hoped they would today. Bob Mackenzie made a remark that yesterday we played a much more 'passive, european style', and that's one of the things that really bugged me. Today we played our more Canuck-style game. Yes, it was against the States who play a similar style. I don't think we should ever stop taking the body and grinding though - and I feel we were far too complacent against the Swedes.

2) I'm glad they didn't call off the Helm goal, since they didn't call Abdekalder for interference. Me thinks the ref may have let it slide as a make up call.

3) Downie has got to chill a bit. Yes, he needs to play on the edge. But some of what he does is just selfish **** that's going to come back to haunt Canada if he isn't careful.

4) Okposo is a damn fine player. First against Germany, now against Canada (where some are saying he may have had an off game). Impressive.

5) Pierre Maguire's new WJTFW (World Junior Tournament Favourite Word) is "Special", which has replaced "Monster". If he calls one more player "special", I'm going to puke. Yesterday he must have referred to at least 5 players as SPECIAL, and today not only were players SPECIAL, but some made SPECIAL plays.

All in all, I'm glad the guys came through. This was really a game the Americans should have been desperate to win, and we could have sat back a bit. Canada gave it all though, and I can now go drink my "SPECIAL" eggnog and be happy. ;)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Not the textbook win that I would expect from this Canadian team. The final minutes were much more nerve-wracking than I thought they should be.

I thought Toews played his best game in a WJC event. He had two goals, he made plays, he won a huge faceoff when Canada was two men short during the first period.

Jack Johnson did not play well. He made a bad pinch on the first Canadian goal, took a bad penalty that put his team down two men in the second (although Canada was ineffective on that 5-on-3) and he foolishly threw his stick to set up Toews' penalty shot. He needs a jolt of discipline.

Canada really succeeded in neutralizing the U.S.'s first two lines, but the bottom two lines were able to do some damage. You get a sense of how much offensive depth the U.S. has when you see that they got a couple goals from their fourth line.

Downie did what he needed to, although he is capable of more. The grinders did great, especially on the penalty kill late in the third. We need more from Marchand, Little, Gagner and especially Cogliano.

It's a huge win when one considers the ramifications on the standings. We're 2-0 with six points. A win on Friday and I believe we're guaranteed to play for a medal. We should beat Germany by three or four goals. But this is not a German team that you can take lightly.

Perfect time for a day off. This was an emotional win, and a little more gruelling than it should have been, considering the way the first period and the first couple minutes of the second played out. Get a day off, work on the line combos, try to get Cogliano, Little et al going, and get ready for a game against Germany that's going to be a lot bigger than any of us ever imagined it would be.

espo*

Pretty good game that had it's great moments and ended with the better team winning convincingly.Give credit to the U.S for coming back and battling,they made it tougher then the final score indicated.

Toews was awesome,super game tonight from him.

I'll say it again....while the 2 Johnsons have bigger upside then Parent and Staal both Canadian d-men are currently the better defensmen then their American counterparts.i've watched all four guys two years at this tournament now and both are just steadier,smarter players at this point in time.The potential for the Johnson's is very high,all the tools are there for them to become impact d-men but i've heard lot's of people swear they are superior to Staal-Parent right now and it just isn't the case.The game is played on the ice not on potential and right now Parent and Staal are better players where it matters.........on the ice.They just play the game smarter and 5 times more in control.

Good game,happy with the win.The U.S made us earn it and we did.Just the kind of game we needed in order to build on.............i thank them for that.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
After watcing both US games, they need to take Mueller off the PP point. Put him beside the net to create some chances down low.

cnyhockey

Nov 28, 2004
US Defenseman

Canada was the better team is every area. Faster, better passing, better forechecking, harder working, better goaltending, better defense and without any question far better special teams.

...and that penalty shot was a thing of beauty.

Disagree. Up front the US did a nice job at times and dominated scoring 3 even strength goals.

But we live and die RELYING totally on the d-men to be offensive impact players especially late in the game when their gassed. Same as last year when the two Johnson in the semi's and bronze medal games coughed it up over and over.

When will USA Hockey realize you win with goaltending and solid in zone defenseman who don't turn it over , move the puck quickly (by passing it!) and just make the simple plays.

And the power play ...UGH! Are we just going to depend on the one timer from the point all tournament?

We'll be lucky to being for 7th place at this rate!

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
U.S.A lost this game in their dreadful powerplay. My God it was awful to watch.

Then again, when you don't pick your best players it's hard to be successful.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Jack Johnson did not play well. He made a bad pinch on the first Canadian goal, took a bad penalty that put his team down two men in the second (although Canada was ineffective on that 5-on-3) and he foolishly threw his stick to set up Toews' penalty shot. He needs a jolt of discipline.

Jack Johnson did have an awful game, but it was Erik that threw his stick at Toews.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I'll say it again....while the 2 Johnsons have bigger upside then Parent and Staal both Canadian d-men are currently the better defensmen then their American counterparts.i've watched all four guys two years at this tournament now and both are just steadier,smarter players at this point in time.The potential for the Johnson's is very high,all the tools are there for them to become impact d-men but i've heard lot's of people swear they are superior to Staal-Parent right now and it just isn't the case.The game is played on the ice not on potential and right now Parent and Staal are better players where it matters.........on the ice.They just play the game smarter and 5 times more in control.
Agree.
Both Johnsons have a lot of hype and ARE very good players in this age group...but today they looked pretty overmatched.
Might be a good time to revisit the "USA has the best defense in the tourney" threads, hmmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad