Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Just finished my first playthrough, on death march. I absolutely loved the game. I kinda wish it was more difficult though... battles were pretty easy for the most part. I completed every side quest except the werewolf one, because the quest glitched on me, and the "collect all cards" quest, I think because I missed the Red Baron card before I finally started playing gwent.

Looking forward to doing a quick speed-run of New Game+ to mop up trophies I didn't get.

Absolutely excellent game. Any word on when a Witcher 4 might be released?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
had it for a while but just started playing it now. great game so far, only thing I don't like are the movement/combat controls which feel wonky to me.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Played it earlier this year, and it quickly became a top-3 game of all time for me. So much content, a truly expansive world, and DLC that was worth it and then some. I put about 100 hours into my first playthrough, according to Steam, and I’ve been gearing up to get another run done here soon. Best part of all is how inexpensive this game is now. I almost want to buy it all full price just to support CDPR even more.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just finished my first playthrough, on death march. I absolutely loved the game. I kinda wish it was more difficult though... battles were pretty easy for the most part. I completed every side quest except the werewolf one, because the quest glitched on me, and the "collect all cards" quest, I think because I missed the Red Baron card before I finally started playing gwent.

Looking forward to doing a quick speed-run of New Game+ to mop up trophies I didn't get.

Absolutely excellent game. Any word on when a Witcher 4 might be released?

CDPR said Geralt's story was done and they are currently working on Cyberpunk 2077.

So not any time soon.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
It always disappointments me, on first blush, to think we won't see Geralt again (and maybe not a Witcher at all, although I am less sure about that) but then I come to the conclusion that, looking back on it in 10+ years, I'll be happy the character went out on top instead of being milked to the point he stagnates.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
If you guys are really itching for some more Geralt adventures, I highly recommend the book series of which the games are based off. There’s lots of stuff we didn’t see in the game, and they help to further explain the lore.

Reactions: Bocephus86

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If you guys are really itching for some more Geralt adventures, I highly recommend the book series of which the games are based off. There’s lots of stuff we didn’t see in the game, and they help to further explain the lore.

Heard they’re fantastic as well

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Couldn't they just update and re-release the first 2 on new platforms, then? People would buy the heck out of them, no?

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

I've started these and they are good. I got through the first 2 anthology/short story books, the first "real" book and I'm halfway through the second. I tend to only read when I travel though, which makes it tough, but I bought them all on my Kindle so maybe I'll get the itch at the house too.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I've started these and they are good. I got through the first 2 anthology/short story books, the first "real" book and I'm halfway through the second. I tend to only read when I travel though, which makes it tough, but I bought them all on my Kindle so maybe I'll get the itch at the house too.
I actually just preordered Season of Storms during my lunch break this afternoon, haha. I read all of them about a year ago, but I hadn’t played through Witcher 3 yet at that time. I really want to re-read them from the perspective of someone who recently played the game so I can get a newer perspective on the books.

Apart from some translation hiccups, if you are remotely interested in fantasy, these books are a must-read.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'd
CDPR said Geralt's story was done and they are currently working on Cyberpunk 2077.

So not any time soon.

Even if "Geralt's story is done", I'd happily play a sequel with Ciri. Seems like there's tons of opportunity for spinoffs with other characters, too.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
In all likelihood Ciri will be in cyberpunk since she actually describes the game in one of the dialogue options saying she was there for a full year.

You know I was talking about a game. But still that game could come out in 2019. Maybe even 2020 if we hear nothing next year. I have hopes it comes out in 2018

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Couldn't they just update and re-release the first 2 on new platforms, then? People would buy the heck out of them, no?
The 2nd one still holds up pretty well, I'd say it probably looks better than some games that are even coming out today. I guess if you mean new consoles, that's another story. Although they did release TW2 on Xbox 360, so you can play it on Xbox One at least.

It would be great if they redid the Witcher 1. Someone apparently made a mod with TW3 that allows you to play the prologue of TW1, but they said it wouldn't be possible to do the rest of the game since CDPR hasn't allowed for enough customization of the game (didn't release true modding tools).

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
After a 6 month break after completing the main game I finally got around to playing both DLCs. Amazing. That's all that can be said to describe them. Probably the best DLC I've played. And now I have to deal with the fact that there won't be any more content released for this game. :(

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'd

Even if "Geralt's story is done", I'd happily play a sequel with Ciri. Seems like there's tons of opportunity for spinoffs with other characters, too.
Geralt's story was done before any of the games were released so it's not like anything is stopping them lol.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well I picked up TW2 for my Xbox and am playing through it now; the old adage its hard to go back when you've played the superior sequel is true in this case too.

Its not unplayable (Im getting enough satisfaction from it that I am happy with the purchase), but you can REALLY see where they took stuff that didnt work well and improved it for TW3.

Some of the things are a little interesting from a lore perspective (touching the medallion for Witcher senses as opposed to Witcher 3 where you just use them for instance).

Not being able to jump is really annoying. Very path driven. Side quests feel extraordinarily optional and that in a lot of cases Im not even sure I received any money or EXP for completing them. The story feels much smaller, when given the context of the situation it should feel a lot bigger IMO, but that may be due to "hub" design of the place you visit. Physically its not nearly as large in scale.

Combat is fine, I havent had any issues there. Signs, alchemy, and crafting seem entirely optional. I dont general use any of them except for Igni in battle.

One thing that has greatly improved is the menu system, its a bit of a mess in TW2

The story is pretty convoluted, and I find quest markers are either missing entirely or not visible at all. For instance its like "go destroy nekker nests" but it doesnt even give a hint as to where they might be. A little frustrating. Things like this coupled with the limitations of the hardware when it was designed make for a lack-lustre experience at times. One mission is "search houses for X thing". No indication which house in the town its in, and a load screen when going into and out of every single house makes for long tedious mission.

All in all im playing it mostly for the story, and its probably going to lead me into my first TW3 replay, so thats not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Witcher 2 was my first Witcher game. Never played the first. It was solid but those criticisms (and then some) are entirely valid. It's merely a good, but not great RPG. It's not very long and you can really only get two replays out of it before you've seen everything.

Witcher 3 was a game that grew on me immensely. When it first came out, I wasn't very enamoured with it and I couldn't really get into it. Replayed it this summer and I found it absolutely brilliant. I definitely enjoyed DA:I more at release than I did W3, but I think I'd change my mind on that now.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
After a 6 month break after completing the main game I finally got around to playing both DLCs. Amazing. That's all that can be said to describe them. Probably the best DLC I've played. And now I have to deal with the fact that there won't be any more content released for this game. :(

I want the DLC so bad, I was in Germany when they went on sale for 50% off in October. Hopefully they're on sale again soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad