Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Witcher 2 was my first Witcher game. Never played the first. It was solid but those criticisms (and then some) are entirely valid. It's merely a good, but not great RPG. It's not very long and you can really only get two replays out of it before you've seen everything.

Witcher 3 was a game that grew on me immensely. When it first came out, I wasn't very enamoured with it and I couldn't really get into it. Replayed it this summer and I found it absolutely brilliant. I definitely enjoyed DA:I more at release than I did W3, but I think I'd change my mind on that now.

I don’t remember what the criticism was. But the more time goes the worse it will appear. For it’s time it was amazing I’d say. I like it more then 2

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Question: Am I able to select different responses to the questions relating to Witcher 2 in the NG+ of Witcher 3 or am I locked into the answers I gave the first playthrough? Or do I have to start a brand new file?

Now that I have played TW2 I want my replay of 3 to reflect those choices.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Question: Am I able to select different responses to the questions relating to Witcher 2 in the NG+ of Witcher 3 or am I locked into the answers I gave the first playthrough? Or do I have to start a brand new file?

Now that I have played TW2 I want my replay of 3 to reflect those choices.
You get to answer the questions again.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Finally beat Blood and Wine. The ending was far more drawn out and complex then I had been expecting. It reminded me of the end of Lord of the Rings in that there is a substantial wind down after the climactic fight.

Going to go for a NG+ now. I want to go the Triss route this time around to see that side of the story, but I feel as if Yennifer is who the game is designed for Geralt to be with. So I dont know which way Ill go.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Finally beat Blood and Wine. The ending was far more drawn out and complex then I had been expecting. It reminded me of the end of Lord of the Rings in that there is a substantial wind down after the climactic fight.

Going to go for a NG+ now. I want to go the Triss route this time around to see that side of the story, but I feel as if Yennifer is who the game is designed for Geralt to be with. So I dont know which way Ill go.

I went the Triss route and thought it was a cute little story line. I wasn't disappointed.

It definitely makes the situation with Yen a bit awkward....:laugh:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

I agree with you here. I'm on my second full play through of W3 and just got past this; went with Yen again... if you go Triss (or anyone reading the thread did), is there anything worth/major different in the game with that decision? Did it feel wrong as you played through the rest of the game?

Whelp; post timing: what are the odds. Thanks for that - may need to look up the differences or something as I'm not sure I can justify another 100 hours haha.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
IIRC the devs said since it draws a bit from the novels, the game is meant to push you towards Yen (ew, btw)

I just started playing it for the first time since i finally caved into the insane amount of praise the game gets, and because the GOTY edition was on sale digitally.

I love it so far. Took me a bit of getting used to given i prefer more...simple RPGs, i guess? (stuff like Mass Effect, Mario RPGs, etc) But now that i'm through White Orchid i feel settled in.

...Just not sure i can actually survive the whole 80-100 hours. :laugh: Especially when Monster Hunter is due out in just under a month.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
IIRC the devs said since it draws a bit from the novels, the game is meant to push you towards Yen (ew, btw)

I just started playing it for the first time since i finally caved into the insane amount of praise the game gets, and because the GOTY edition was on sale digitally.

I love it so far. Took me a bit of getting used to given i prefer more...simple RPGs, i guess? (stuff like Mass Effect, Mario RPGs, etc) But now that i'm through White Orchid i feel settled in.

...Just not sure i can actually survive the whole 80-100 hours. :laugh: Especially when Monster Hunter is due out in just under a month.

My advice for anyone that picks it up: White Orchard is basically a glorified tutorial. It picks up and takes off when you meet the Bloody Baron and then is a consistent ride, with some high highs, the rest of the way. Both DLC are 100% worth it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I will say one of the things I love about this game is that it is, for the most part, clear on what are main quests, what are secondary quests that play off of the main quest and have an effect on the world, and what is pretty much fluff. I was able to avoid most of the fluff and just play the "good" stuff (in my mind at least), and it took about 50 hours.

But I'm sort of an anti-completionist when it comes to open world RPGs, so it depends on your play style. :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yen is definitely the go-to in the game.

If you choose Triss there is a super awkward scene at Kaer Morhen which indicates that the choice you made somewhat betrays what was expected (and somewhat the motivation of Geralt considering he was trying to find Yen in the first place and their romance is still discussed).

I am not sure what happens at Kaer Morhen if you do Yen's companion quest and choose to rebuke her, though. That may make things less awkward since there is some closure, there. I didn't want to break Yen's heart in that quest so I just ignored it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I will say one of the things I love about this game is that it is, for the most part, clear on what are main quests, what are secondary quests that play off of the main quest and have an effect on the world, and what is pretty much fluff. I was able to avoid most of the fluff and just play the "good" stuff (in my mind at least), and it took about 50 hours.

But I'm sort of an anti-completionist when it comes to open world RPGs, so it depends on your play style. :laugh:

The fluff you speak of i assume the giant sea of unmarked locations?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
If I were to do another playthrough of TW3, I think I'd skip all of the ? and treasure hunts (except maybe the witcher gear that I may actually want) and just focus on quests that have a story attached. I'm sure you can easily cut off 20+ hours by doing this.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If I were to do another playthrough of TW3, I think I'd skip all of the ? and treasure hunts (except maybe the witcher gear that I may actually want) and just focus on quests that have a story attached. I'm sure you can easily cut off 20+ hours by doing this.

I'd wager 40 hours or so, especially if you're talking about the stupid underwater ones. Also when you do more treasure hunts you...get more treasure which means more time buying/selling/reequipping.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I hit all the ones on land because I loved the discovery, but the water ones got to be too obnoxious.

Yeah i was kind of doing the same thing already.

There was one by the garrison back in White Orchid that i swam to and all it is was a crappy boat. :laugh: (spoils of war iirc)

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'd wager 40 hours or so, especially if you're talking about the stupid underwater ones. Also when you do more treasure hunts you...get more treasure which means more time buying/selling/reequipping.
Definitely. When I re-joined the PC gaming community last year, the only 2 mods I installed for this game are fast travel from any where and rich merchants. Both are a little cheat-y so I try not to use them UNTIL Skellege ?... I'm a completionist, so I can't help myself. It's likely why I am also at actually finishing games. I'm captain of the "get 90% of the way there and start a new game" team. Witcher 3 is the last game I actually completed, I think, which let's you know how good the story is.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I did everything at white orchard I think. Then stopped doing the chests. It was just a waste of time besides getting 100

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Turning off the question marks on the map makes for a much more fun experience. Less "checkbox-ing" and more paying attention to the lay of the land to see if it hints at something further ahead.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Whoever put sunken treasure guarded by drowners you can't do **** to needs to be given a wedgie and hung on a coathook by said underwear.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Whoever put sunken treasure guarded by drowners you can't do **** to needs to be given a wedgie and hung on a coathook by said underwear.

You just started huh. Yeah it’s pretty tough at the start. Just wait until you level. I believe it is skulls on top of the enemy health bar which means you should run.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh no i'm working my way through Velen now. Level 10

The drowners are the ones that are underwater. land-based drowners i can crush with ease.

All they do is try to keep you from going to the surface, annoying really. (Not surprising given their name)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad