Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
So the NG+ thing is a one time deal? Would have been great to know before I spent hours and hours grinding for coin and material so I could turn my geralt into a god. This is seriously ****ing irritating. What's the point of spending all this time upgrading your gear when you can't even put it to use in your next playthrough?

I love this game, but this is a huge letdown.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I thought it was established you couldn't do that. How many NG+ playthroughs were you expecting?

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I was expecting more than one.

edit: I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but it's just disappointing.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I was expecting more than one.

edit: I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but it's just disappointing.

To be fair though, it was only ever advertised as NG+, no other additional playthroughs.

I understand your disappointment, but the devs were rather straight forward about it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
To be fair though, it was only ever advertised as NG+, no other additional playthroughs.

I understand your disappointment, but the devs were rather straight forward about it.

Pretty sure new game + implies infinite playthroughs. No idea why that wouldn't be the case. Chrono trigger if I'm not mistaken invented it and there was infinite playthroughs without having more plus signs

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
Just started Blood and Wine. It looks amazing but really tough. Anyway, I played the whole game using mostly my sword and the signs and never really got into alchemy. There just always seemed to be so many different bombs and potions. What would be the easiest and least daunting to stat with?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've just started playing the base game again. I'm about 20 hours in, love the storytelling but the RPG elements and combat isn't that exciting.
One thing that has become incredibly annoying is that I always am carrying too much and always need to drop weapons/armor to free up weight. I try to sell things/use my stash more, but it's still a pain. Definitely need to get the upgraded sash once I can afford it.

Also on that quest trying to save up 1k coins to take the boat. Annoying, but it gives me a reason to complete other quests.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Just started Blood and Wine. It looks amazing but really tough. Anyway, I played the whole game using mostly my sword and the signs and never really got into alchemy. There just always seemed to be so many different bombs and potions. What would be the easiest and least daunting to stat with?

I forgot about the potions but isn't there a health one? Yeah just make those really

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I never had a problem with the weight system. I think I only had it happen once

I literally pick up every weapon/piece of armour that I find (so I can either sell them or get the parts out of them). I only can carry 60, which fills up after I pick up 10 weapons/armour or so.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the game (first play through, level 16), but totally drawn in so far.

A couple things I've found so far:

- I pick up and hoard everything, like most do in these games. Seems I can craft just about everything 5x over at this point.

- I never really use potions, or any alchemy really, outside of creating bombs to destroy monster nests or using potions when they're required by the story. I've used oils once in a blue moon, but I don't really bother. Am I missing out?

- I don't use runestones or mutagens. I'm kinda clueless on what they're for and what they do. Again, am I missing out?

- I haven't really been buying gear, as I am constantly leveling up and stuff I find seems to keep me alive just fine. I'll occasionally have something made when it's my max level, but I never buy stuff. As a result, I have a pretty serious chunk of change accumulating in my wallet. Anything in particular I should be using it for?

- I don't play Gwent unless the story requires me to, and in those cases I wing it. I have no interest in it otherwise. Am I missing out on story, loot, etc by skipping this part of the game?

- Tactics/build - I use light armour, and most of my ability points have been spent on light armour, quick and heavy attacks, and a little bit on my "magic trap" sign. Any suggestions on what direction I should take my build to maximize damage, with a little bit of control? Any other areas of focus I should develop for story purposes?

- Any other general tips for a first time play through?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the game (first play through, level 16), but totally drawn in so far.

A couple things I've found so far:

- I pick up and hoard everything, like most do in these games. Seems I can craft just about everything 5x over at this point.

This is fine. Though lower level crafted items are made from common parts, higher level stuff uses much more rare pieces and can be harder to find.

But regardless a true competitionist will have no problems crafting most anything.

- I never really use potions, or any alchemy really, outside of creating bombs to destroy monster nests or using potions when they're required by the story. I've used oils once in a blue moon, but I don't really bother. Am I missing out?

If you're playing on Death March I find oils helpful to kill HP spongey enemies faster which is nice.

Bombs mostly aren't good though you can get some abilities that let you have bunches of them which makes them a little better.

Potions are just a style choice, though obviously it's handy to have healing on occasion. Later you can leverage an alchemy build into attack damage as well which is how I play. It can be quite powerful but so can just straight red/attack builds too.

- I don't use runestones or mutagens. I'm kinda clueless on what they're for and what they do. Again, am I missing out?

Runestones go into upgrade sockets on weapons, glphys go in armor. Mutagens go in special slots on your character sheet which gives you synergy bonuses. Blue Mutagen by itself might give you 15% bonus on sign intensity. A Blue Mutagen + 3 sign abilities on the same branch will give you 45% or something if it's a greater mutagen. Those are made up numbers btw but it's along those lines.

Witcher 3's character system is pretty weak. So if you aren't playing on Death March you may never feel you need the extra attack power, intensity, and whatever other bonuses you might get out of a truly optimized character. It's mostly flavor choice based on play style. Me, I like utility so I go heavy into potions and signs. If you don't want to mess with fiddly stuff, attack power and those 1 level unlock special abilities are a way to go.

- I haven't really been buying gear, as I am constantly leveling up and stuff I find seems to keep me alive just fine. I'll occasionally have something made when it's my max level, but I never buy stuff. As a result, I have a pretty serious chunk of change accumulating in my wallet. Anything in particular I should be using it for?

You'll have things to spend money on later and higher end crafted gear costs good money. Buying gear is almost never necessary, though sometimes it's much easier to buy missing crafting ingredients at higher levels than go looking for them.

- I don't play Gwent unless the story requires me to, and in those cases I wing it. I have no interest in it otherwise. Am I missing out on story, loot, etc by skipping this part of the game?

No, but if you don't practice a bit some of the story based Gwent quests might be a little hard. Some cards you get from playing others so you might miss out on those. Also buy every Gwent card you see in shops. If you skipped all Gwent stuff entirely you won't be lacking for experience or anything serious either way.

My #1 tip for Witcher 3, is don't spend a decent length playsession without doing at least one part of a main quest. Witcher 3's pacing is downright awful and if you spend a lot of time picking flowers you can get completely disconnected from it for days at a time.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

I played through the full game Quen-less Death March only using the story-required bombs/potions and the one healing potion (forget the name). At least viability-wise I don't think it's all that key.

I used raw damage mutagens. Don't remember what runestones. I think the damage adds up to be significant.

I ended up with the Cat School gear but then realized I would never get to use the actual set bonuses as you need to be really high level to get them activated. Felt like a waste of time. Maybe it changes in the NG+ endgame but the gear felt very stale.

- Tactics/build - I use light armour, and most of my ability points have been spent on light armour, quick and heavy attacks, and a little bit on my "magic trap" sign. Any suggestions on what direction I should take my build to maximize damage, with a little bit of control? Any other areas of focus I should develop for story purposes?

That's pretty similar to what I did (no sign investment but I went light armor and damage); it felt pretty strong without being OP.

Don't bum-rush the story, do some side quests. The core engagement of the game is world immersion.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
My tip is, don't trust the brunette. She lies.

If you want to cheese the game, take bladestorm or whatever it's called in the combat tree, it turns you into an unstoppable killing machine. I personally prefer Alchemy/Heavy build.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I recommend trying Gwent if you haven't.

I didn't until much later in my first playthrough and ended up absolutely loving it.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Stumbled upon this yesterday. Great fan service by CDPR.

Saw the witcher 1 for $1.50 the other day on steam and grabbed it, figured I'd do a full 3 game run through at some point in the future. Although I just wrapped up a W2 + W3 play through about a week ago, they might have hooked me again...

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
H

Alchemy skills combined with melee skills are very powerful. Once you have the proper green skills , synergy , 2 x Greater Red Mutagen + 2 x Greater green mutagen and close to or maximum toxicity tolerance you can run 3 decoctions at the same time and you become an absolute killing machine.<<<<<<

Melee - Alchemy hybrid is the most powerful build in the game. Try it ;)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Funny this thread gets bumped as I begin my fourth playthrough of the game.

I have never tried an alchemy build. Maybe with NG+ and all the DLCs I may have the ability to test it out every once in awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad