Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Oh no i'm working my way through Velen now. Level 10

The drowners are the ones that are underwater. land-based drowners i can crush with ease.

All they do is try to keep you from going to the surface, annoying really. (Not surprising given their name)

I don’t remember those at all. But I was never really around the water

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Oh no i'm working my way through Velen now. Level 10

The drowners are the ones that are underwater. land-based drowners i can crush with ease.

All they do is try to keep you from going to the surface, annoying really. (Not surprising given their name)
You can use your crossbox underwater and anything you hit underwater is a 1 shot kill.

Took me forever to figure that out but it's the only way to deal with those scenarios.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The fluff you speak of i assume the giant sea of unmarked locations?

That's probably the best example, but yeah I'm talking about all of the typical open world side/fetch quests. They aren't poorly done by any means, but I've played enough open world games to the point where I'm sick of that type of thing.

For the most part, everything under "Main" and "Secondary" are well worth doing.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Finally finished it! What a game it was.

Only complaints i really had would be the horse is ****ing awful to control and the GPS map can be an annoyance more than a help at points. Still probably one of the better open world games i played, though i think the story was a bit lost on me since i've only played 3 (still enjoyable though)

Pretty sure i botched my ending pretty hard though;

- Ciri goes into the portal to stop the white frost and gets enveloped, she's dead, but the frost goes with her

- A grief-striken Geralt goes into the swamp and kills the remaining Crone, presumably also dying in that little shack as he grieves (he also doesn't show up in my ending package before the credits)

- I apparently forgot to finish the plot on Ravodid (whoops) and he apparently rules the entire realm now, murdering countless non-humans/witches. So there goes i assume Triss, Yen, Zoltan and probably the last remaining witchers.

- Emperor ****head of Nilfgaard dies. Who cares

- The only bright spot is the person i put in charge of Skellige apparently has half a brain and leads them to a new age of self-sufficiency and prosperity. Yay :Laugh:

That's almost as bad as when i lost half of my crew in Mass Effect 2 the first time i played it.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Finally finished it! What a game it was.

Only complaints i really had would be the horse is ****ing awful to control and the GPS map can be an annoyance more than a help at points. Still probably one of the better open world games i played, though i think the story was a bit lost on me since i've only played 3 (still enjoyable though)

Pretty sure i botched my ending pretty hard though;

- Ciri goes into the portal to stop the white frost and gets enveloped, she's dead, but the frost goes with her

- A grief-striken Geralt goes into the swamp and kills the remaining Crone, presumably also dying in that little shack as he grieves (he also doesn't show up in my ending package before the credits)

- I apparently forgot to finish the plot on Ravodid (whoops) and he apparently rules the entire realm now, murdering countless non-humans/witches. So there goes i assume Triss, Yen, Zoltan and probably the last remaining witchers.

- Emperor ****head of Nilfgaard dies. Who cares

- The only bright spot is the person i put in charge of Skellige apparently has half a brain and leads them to a new age of self-sufficiency and prosperity. Yay :Laugh:

That's almost as bad as when i lost half of my crew in Mass Effect 2 the first time i played it.

Yikes!

That ending is WAY darker than the one I got. :laugh:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I just downloaded and installed the DLCs, gearing up for a new play-through (as I didn't play the DLCs last time). I went for a sign heavy build last time, thinking of going all-out melee with a bit of alchemy thrown in this time.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You'll do fine with melee. high physical damage means you **** on pretty much any non-silver monster. I recommend crafting the feline school gear too since that gives you some nice bleeding/further attack bonuses. You should have enough points picked up from places of power/other level ups to beef up one sign (Quen probably being the most useful)

I picked melee because i'm new to the series (needed of bit hands on time to understand the signs) and i think i prefer it to sign spamming.

I'm probably gonna come back for a run on death march somewhere down the road. Not anytime soon since there's a lot of good games coming out, but i will be back.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I went Melee in both my play throughs. I'd focus on the fast attack stuff & Quen. Quen & Dodge & Quick/Fast attack = basically cheating by mid level.

Plus Feline gear looks great.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I went Melee in both my play throughs. I'd focus on the fast attack stuff & Quen. Quen & Dodge & Quick/Fast attack = basically cheating by mid level.

Plus Feline gear looks great.
The Cat school gear was pretty much the only reason I chose to go with a melee build in my death march play through. Sucks that they ruin the grandmaster armor with the ridiculous hood though.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
ugh reading all this really makes me want to buy it again and go for a fourth play through lol.

I found I mixed and matched my master/grandmaster armour and swords all the time. Plus there was so much other armour and swords to find and utilize. I wish they would just do a random drop of armour/swords/horse armor into the game to breath some more life into it and to force my hand into buying it again.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The Cat school gear was pretty much the only reason I chose to go with a melee build in my death march play through. Sucks that they ruin the grandmaster armor with the ridiculous hood though.
Bought the Witcher 3 for the PC last year (after I built my gaming PC) and the first thing I did was look for a mod that removed it; found one that makes him wear "invisible" glasses. So pumped to get to it haha

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Bought the Witcher 3 for the PC last year (after I built my gaming PC) and the first thing I did was look for a mod that removed it; found one that makes him wear "invisible" glasses. So pumped to get to it haha
Ah yeah, I'm on PS4 so didn't have that option, and I hated wearing the glasses more than the hood so I just dealt with it. Still the best armor set. :nod:

ugh reading all this really makes me want to buy it again and go for a fourth play through lol.

I found I mixed and matched my master/grandmaster armour and swords all the time. Plus there was so much other armour and swords to find and utilize. I wish they would just do a random drop of armour/swords/horse armor into the game to breath some more life into it and to force my hand into buying it again.
I think I'll probably start a new replay this weekend. Love this game so much, nothing has come close for enjoyment level since.

I never was tempted by any of the armor other than the Witcher stuff, none of it seemed as interesting to me.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The armor you can get (or at least the blueprints to make it) from the Olferi merchant is pretty ****ing cool looking, but even that is kinda outclassed by most master level witcher gear.

I just wrapped out Hearts of Stone. Wasn't too crazy about in all honesty. It certainly wasn't awful by any means, but given how much praise Blood and Wine got, i guess i was expecting more? I also don't appreciate being screwed out of achievements. I tried 3 different times to get the "Good times roll" achievement, painstakingly re-doing that damn wedding quest (and doing everything like it told me to) to no avail.

I now sit with a dilemma on my hands. I want to try and finish Blood and Wine since i hear it's ****ing amazing and in many cases, better than the actual game itself. Monster Hunter World comes out in a week and that's almost certainly where the next couple months of my free time will be going.

Is a week enough? Estimates have it at about 40 hours long, but i assume it'll be less for me since i straight up skip anything gwent related (on this run anyway)

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The armor you can get (or at least the blueprints to make it) from the Olferi merchant is pretty ****ing cool looking, but even that is kinda outclassed by most master level witcher gear.

I just wrapped out Hearts of Stone. Wasn't too crazy about in all honesty. It certainly wasn't awful by any means, but given how much praise Blood and Wine got, i guess i was expecting more? I also don't appreciate being screwed out of achievements. I tried 3 different times to get the "Good times roll" achievement, painstakingly re-doing that damn wedding quest (and doing everything like it told me to) to no avail.

I now sit with a dilemma on my hands. I want to try and finish Blood and Wine since i hear it's ****ing amazing and in many cases, better than the actual game itself. Monster Hunter World comes out in a week and that's almost certainly where the next couple months of my free time will be going.

Is a week enough? Estimates have it at about 40 hours long, but i assume it'll be less for me since i straight up skip anything gwent related (on this run anyway)
Took me somewhere between 15-20 hours to finish Blood and Wine. I didn’t do Gwent, either, but I did do the side quests that weren’t Gwent-related. Blood and Wine is a nice wrap-up for the game, and it brings closure to a lot of stuff. Depending on how many hours per day you can play, I imagine a week should be enough to get through it.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
So after reinstalling and starting my 2nd playthrough, I think I've put about 15 hours into this in the last 3 days. :booboo:

Forgot how addicting this is. Although, I'm a bit of a completionist so I've been pretty over-levelled for most of the main story parts as I try and complete all the Witcher contracts and side quests. Gwent is so addicting, but this run through I've been able to easily beat everyone so far.

Really excited to finish the main game and start the DLC, as they weren't through my original play through.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Took me somewhere between 15-20 hours to finish Blood and Wine. I didn’t do Gwent, either, but I did do the side quests that weren’t Gwent-related. Blood and Wine is a nice wrap-up for the game, and it brings closure to a lot of stuff. Depending on how many hours per day you can play, I imagine a week should be enough to get through it.

Gwent is the best thing about the game. It's brilliant.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Gwent is the best thing about the game. It's brilliant.
Oh, I don’t doubt it. Everyone I know says Gwent is the best part of the game. If I get a chance to do another playthrough soon, I’ll definitely do the Gwent stuff. It wasn’t as exciting to me as the main story stuff & the side quests (minus Gwent) the first time I played the game, though.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I hate the concept of Gwent, especially since the CPU plays so dirty. They got that yu-gi-oh level heart of the cards nonsense where it always seems like they have the right cards to beat you.

While i hate the idea of gwent, i give CDPR serious props for sticking a fully functional card game in their already huge, fleshed out game. A throwaway quest/diversion has no business being that in depth/strategically complex

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I hate the concept of Gwent, especially since the CPU plays so dirty. They got that yu-gi-oh level heart of the cards nonsense where it always seems like they have the right cards to beat you.

While i hate the idea of gwent, i give CDPR serious props for sticking a fully functional card game in their already huge, fleshed out game. A throwaway quest/diversion has no business being that in depth/strategically complex

They don’t. The only one that really cheats is the monsters. But just get rid of every weather card and use the snow element card (frostbite?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad