Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Any must-have mods for PC?

A couple that I consider must have (about half recommended to me from another poster earlier in this thread, Beau Knows):

Realistic Weather: changes the graphics related to weather so it looks better/less "odd" in texture (I'm terrible at describing things but there are a bunch of pictures on Nexusmods that you can preview)
More Money for Traders: You might consider it a "cheat" but it got really tedious the last time I played running to 7 different merchants to offload my ? loot, especially in Skellige (sp?)
Fast Travel from Anywhere: Another borderline "Cheat" but I've made a deal with myself that I'll only use it sparingly, and only when I'm question mark hunting and really far from a sign post; again, Skellige is my main thought for this one.
Nitpicker's Patch: A bunch of graphical bug fixes
Get full XP from quests: Removes the XP penalty from quests you are over leveled for. Another borderline "cheat" as you'll level faster then you would in the base game without the XP penalty

I also downloaded the "Debug console enabler". Was a little annoying to get working but I want it so that I can remove the Grandmaster cat school gear hood when I finally get there... console command is additem('Geralt robbery mask') which puts a non-visible mask on Geralt (supposedly) which then removes the hood.

One more thing: If you download the realistic weather mod and use nexus, don't download through the NMM. It causes some issue with the DLC detection and "breaks" all the DLC, basically. There are manual install instructions which work.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Can't say that I have. In general, I've had no issues with TW3 mods at all.
I only have 6-7 installed, but yeah, no issues.

That happened to me once. Had also very low framerate at the same time (15-20fps)

It kinda just fixed itself after running around and opening/closing map a few times. This probably won't help you, I realize. Sorry.

Finally got it figured out a week or so ago after almost 6 months of dealing with a broken game.

I guess I had the remnants of an .ini file I'd modified or replaced hanging around even after uninstall that was related to a map mod I had previously installed. No idea how this was/is even possible. But it's finally fixed and I couldn't be happier I finally have a chance to finish the game.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
It's a big, deep, and immersive open-world game with very interesting characters, engaging sidequests, experientially distinct choices to be made, and a pretty compelling story. I think it does open world story/immersion-driven RPG better than any game, and is absolutely the best in the genre.

IMO it's a better Skyrim/Elder Scrolls game, with the main difference that you're not making your own character, you're tweaking an existing character. This means less freedom of expression in exchange for a much deeper and more personal story.

I'd also add, especially if the player is coming from Soulsborne/Devil May Cry/Fighters, that combat is not the focal point of the game, and to temper their expectations in that regard.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I started playing Witcher and I absolutely dont like it. I like thr story, dont get me wrong. But Ive playing for about ten hours on the hardest difficulty and I dont even need to play around with the skill tree or what ever. Basically untouched.

Is it just a fantasy GTA5 or am I missing something? Should I keep playing?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I started playing Witcher and I absolutely dont like it. I like thr story, dont get me wrong. But Ive playing for about ten hours on the hardest difficulty and I dont even need to play around with the skill tree or what ever. Basically untouched.

It's a really crap RPG in the systems area. Hell one could make the case it's not even an RPG systems wise.

I've referred to it on occasion as "Witcher Simulator 2015". That's a bit reductionist in the extreme but not entirely misplaced either :laugh:.

If you aren't interested in the story bits as the primary driver of the game you will not like it that much. The exploration side opens up considerably after you leave White Orchard if that strikes your fancy, so I'd at least play through past there.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

The game isn't that hard if you get the "flow" of combat.

It definitely is true that the stats part of the game is a bit underwhelming and in that respect it isn't a great RPG. However combat does play out a bit differently depending on which of the three paths you choose to take.

The production values more than make up for it though: the story, graphics and writing are amongst the best I ever got to enjoy. Also they really nailed the exploration aspect, discovering new locations is an integral part of what makes the game a lot of fun.

If a game's difficulty is a major draw for you then I could see how this game might not excite you as much as it did me. At it's hardest the game is essentially trial and error, not a ton of depth in how to approach combat. If you are willing I'd recommend you try playing the game without using Quen (the shield magic ability), that ought to make your life significantly more difficult.

And read the books if you want to get invested: the books are a bit uneven but the highs are really, really good.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

To be honest I got my copy of the game "lent" to me by a friend, who is crazy about the game. If I didn't have his expectation that I play his favorite game, I might not have continued much farther than just after the White Orchard bit.

I did play through the game, and I did enjoy it, but the combat sections started to feel like a chore and a nuisance that separated between cutscenes, which is not what I want out of a game. It definitely gives the impression that combat is not what they care about.

The production values more than make up for it though: the story, graphics and writing are amongst the best I ever got to enjoy. Also they really nailed the exploration aspect, discovering new locations is an integral part of what makes the game a lot of fun.

If a game's difficulty is a major draw for you then I could see how this game might not excite you as much as it did me. At it's hardest the game is essentially trial and error, not a ton of depth in how to approach combat. If you are willing I'd recommend you try playing the game without using Quen (the shield magic ability), that ought to make your life significantly more difficult.

This is the other side of the coin. I do disagree that it's just difficulty, though - I'd say the Arkham games are easier than Death March Witcher 3, but I found the Arkham combat way more interesting. Even if it's easy, it's nowhere near as clunky.

If what you look for in a game is less the combat mechanics and more the story, than I'm sure this is one of the absolute best games you can play.

I'll note that I have absolutely zero interest in NG+ Witcher.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

No, I don't think you're missing anything game play wise.

It's really more of an "action-RPG" than a "true", hardcore RPG. It seems I don't have your skill, so I find it more challenging. :laugh:

I loved 2 and really enjoyed what I've played of 3. Still need to swing back around and beat it. To be fair, I really like action RPGs, so it may not be your cup of tea.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I remember getting the Witcher after turning in Dragon Age: Inquisition (didn't really grab me) and the guy at Gamestop basically sold me on how great of a game it was. I actually don't recall knowing much about it other than its predecessor was really good.

First parts of the game were interesting but not all that engaging, but after White Orchard and I started to actually get immersed in the world I was hooked.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is the other side of the coin. I do disagree that it's just difficulty, though - I'd say the Arkham games are easier than Death March Witcher 3, but I found the Arkham combat way more interesting. Even if it's easy, it's nowhere near as clunky.

This is surprising to me because I find the combat to be a lot of fun in Witcher 3: the way you have to balance being defensive and aggressive and Geralt being so nimble made it a very smooth experience.

Combat feels very "floaty", especially compared to Souls games however: landing a hit in this game isn't satisfying at all. What is satisfying is dancing around all the enemies, take them all down while never getting hit. It feels like a dance when it gels and that is pretty unique.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

If you like the story and not the gameplay, I'd just bite the bullet and set it to easy. I mean it is called "just the story"

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I seem to recall mostly getting them from Nekkers. There are a few Nekker hordes roaming about in Velen.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Where can a guy farm red mutagens?

Southern tip of the western part of Velen if I recall correctly.

There is a signpost that is right around some destroyed buildings and there are always are a bunch those dog/porcupine monster around them.

Just fast travel from there and back and they keep spawning, they drop red mutagens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->