Confirmed with Link: Wisniewski Bought Out

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
They couldn't buy him out if he wasn't cleared to play I don't think.

Wouldn't "cleared to play" and "wasn't close to what he once was" be different tho? I could have worded it differently-

Perhaps his rehab didn't get him to the point where he once was, and they knew that.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I think we all know why he was bought out.

All I can say is that...I urge those than have come before me and address the real elephant in the room and stand up or its going to continue.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Wouldn't "cleared to play" and "wasn't close to what he once was" be different tho? I could have worded it differently-

Perhaps his rehab didn't get him to the point where he once was, and they knew that.

Does clearing a physical mean he necessarily got back to where he started though?

Absolutely correct.

That said, he also had value in that he made less money than his cap hit + that now, even with Rask signing, we're still under the floor, so optimistically I think this bodes well for a trade or/and FA signing.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's probably as simple as replacing the spot for a veteran defenseman with someone we can actually expose in the draft. Say we sign Schultz to a cheap 2-year deal, he only needs to play 7 games to hit the 70 over 2 years mark. This move freed up $2mil of actual salary for 2016, so we'll probably be able to find an exposable replacement for that amount.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
uhhhh.....

I'll wait till we see what happens before judging. Would've REALLY liked to have seen this guy play a few games for us. He's a good skater, physical, experienced with a bomb of a righty shot. It would appear no one was interested in this guy without giving back money we didn't want. If it's just us being cheap....

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Until I read otherwise, here's what I'm assuming, in order:

1. The team is only at $33 million cap hit for next year and no one due for a big raise. This could help us get to the cap floor.

2. Make a roster space for McKeown.

3. Make room for Murphy if he ends up re-signing.

I don't think it's to save money, because we're going to be over the cap floor with Rask's contract, and RF's still trying to obtain a top 6 forward.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Dissapointed as I had a soft spot for Wiz and would have liked to see him get a chance.

They either believe in Murphy or have a handshake deal for a replacement at similar or less money. Probably the latter, just a lateral switching of Wiz and a guy like Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad