Confirmed with Link: Wisniewski Bought Out

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Was kind of expecting/looking forward to Wiz being a solid option on the 2nd PP unit. I liked how Pesce played last year he just doesn't really belong on a PP unit.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's also a matter that when Faulk gets injured again, the Hurricanes will either have to test a career AHL'er, a rookie (McKweon) or play someone on their left side.

With Wiz you had Faulk, Wiz, Pesce, then a qualified Murphy (who I think was good enough in a 6th dman role, but whose inability to deal with physicality on the forecheck is his biggest issue) as the 7th defenseman.

But now, now now, not soon, not later, now, we are one Faulk injury away from a guy playing serious minutes on his offside (which I don't like) or Murphy playing top-4 minutes (also no).

Optimistically, they'll sign a cheap veteran RHD and then focus most of Wiz's money on a winger- so I hope this is an indication of a trade or signing.

And rumor has it that Faulk isn't 100% yet.

There's a lot that goes into these decisions. I know when some players get hurt, they can drop off the radar in terms of being connected to the guys in the room. If Carolina brought him in to be a mentor, then they may not have liked what they saw or didn't see from how Wiz handled that role. Interesting that there was no quote that accompanied the story. Not sure if that's standard procedure on buyouts or not. I'm so used to Francis offering a little bit of commentary on all roster moves. I would just caution against jumping directly to this being a penny pinching move. We just don't have all the details to make that call.

****ing penny pinchers....there I said it :sarcasm:

Was kind of expecting/looking forward to Wiz being a solid option on the 2nd PP unit. I liked how Pesce played last year he just doesn't really belong on a PP unit.

I thought Pesce was fine on the PP, but I'm sure they were hoping that Murphy took that role over.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Wow, didn't see this coming.

My first thoughts were, (A) they don't think he can come back all the way for the beginning of the season and (B) they want the roster spot/cap space to sign a vet FA, and we very well could be bringing back Liles.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Wow, didn't see this coming.

My first thoughts were, (A) they don't think he can come back all the way for the beginning of the season and (B) they want the roster spot/cap space to sign a vet FA, and we very well could be bringing back Liles.

The only thing is that we constantly hear how Peters likes his lefty/right defensive pairings. Sure, like Mick Jagger said, we can't always get what we want. But I've got to think this is the beginning of a chain reaction....boom!

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Has to be this:

Both Hainsey and Wiz have contracts expiring at the end of this year and with the expansion draft looming, that flat out was not gonna work. So....buy out Wiz and expect a 2 year contract handed out tomorrow (Liles?) thereby giving us some expansion fodder.
It's the only thing that makes sense unless he wasn't fully recovered. But judging by Wiz's reaction, he feels he is ready to go.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
They have Faulk, Slavin, Hanafin, and Hainsey in their top four.

And they don't want Wiz eating minutes and developing their D-Men at 5/6 (Pesce, Fleury, Murphy, Carrick, etc.)

No Big Deal...

and maybe they don't think he's better than those players at his age and with his health.

maybe they're on a budget and want to go after some big names on July 1st

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I was shocked when I first saw this news pop up, but thinking about it, RF has to know that he can get a free agent D-man tomorrow. Players have been able to talk to teams, so maybe one informed him that he wants to come here. I can see it being Liles. Sign him to a 2 year deal and thefes your guy to expose for the draft. As it currently stood Faulk would have been the only one available, unless we played Murphy a lot. This team is not exposing Faulk.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I have a sneaky suspicion that we like Roman Polak. Right-handed and some serious snarl. Looked terrible in San Jose so hee should be cheap. Veteran presence. Can be exposed in expansion draft. He checks a lot of boxes.

OldStyleCubFan

Jan 13, 2013
Could this be part of a 'trade'? Instead of trading Wiz and the team that gets him taking the 5M cap hit, could they now sign him for much less.

For example, could he sign in Chicago for say 1M and this really be part of the TT trade that we would buy out Wiz and he agreed to sign in Chicago?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I have a sneaky suspicion that we like Roman Polak. Right-handed and some serious snarl. Looked terrible in San Jose so hee should be cheap. Veteran presence. Can be exposed in expansion draft. He checks a lot of boxes.

I was thinking the same thing while browsing generalfanager earlier this evening. Only question I have is how likely are players to sign deals knowing there's a good chance they'll have to move to Vegas in a year? I guess there could be worst places to go but it almost guarantees you won't be playing for a Cup if you're an older player.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I know that nobody reads the NandO articles anymore, but Chip posted a quote from Francis basically closing the door on Eric coming back to Carolina. Saying something to the effect of it being "unfair" to ask him to take a different role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad