OT: Winter Storm Warning in Effect (8-20 inches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I regret telling my boss that I live less than a mile away from my job. Now whenever it snows I'm the one who has to come in while he gets to take the day off. BTW I've been a fan of Hudson Valley Weather and they won't post totals until they are pretty sure. They are usually accurate. We are in for a pretty ugly storm it appears.

Yea i like that too... if you read multiple post of theirs they say that right away that they won't say anything till they are pretty sure surprising cause most drop predictions right away.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Doesnt this happen every year in the NY area? Why arent the city better prepared for it? I mean i know its different because we have it all the time but where i am from this happens many times a month in the winter and we usually have tons of snow and wind etc every winter and we never miss a day of work or school. Arent someone out getting snow off the roads in the early morning when this happens? If im up early(4 am for example) i always meet some of the people driving the snowplower(dont know if its called that?) that gets snow off the roads etc. Just interested to know why its such a big deal? Not trying to be rude or anything :) Is it because it doesnt happen often so you dont have people ready to get snow of the roads etc or?

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Doesnt this happen every year in the NY area? Why arent the city better prepared for it? I mean i know its different because we have it all the time but where i am from this happens many times a month in the winter and we usually have tons of snow and wind etc every winter and we never miss a day of work or school. Arent someone out getting snow off the roads in the early morning when this happens? If im up early(4 am for example) i always meet some of the people driving the snowplower(dont know if its called that?) that gets snow off the roads etc. Just interested to know why its such a big deal? Not trying to be rude or anything :) Is it because it doesnt happen often so you dont have people ready to get snow of the roads etc or?

I think how prepared they can be is a matter of cost in relation to how often it happens.
If it happens once a year, it is likely that the readiness is scaled back because it is a huge cost to buy a large amount of snow ploughs just to have them standing in a garage.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I think you're underestimating the complexities of cleaning out a city as large and complex as New York. Remember, Department of Sanitation and all the other city agencies are covering a massive five-borough area with millions of people in it. It's not that easy to just send out a couple of crews to clear the streets for a storm like the one we're expecting, it's a gigantic logistical nightmare where you're essentially attempting to address the needs of five small cities simultaneously where each resident/neighborhood is going to be furious if their streets aren't the first to be plowed. Plus, it's not just clearing the streets but also making sure the subway and bus systems are functioning in at least some capacity. It's just too massive a job and the city, despite probably having every single available worker doing overtime, does not have the personnel to get it done quickly enough to get everyone back into work while the snow is still falling. To do it the way you want you'd have to have a small army of personnel and vehicles basically just hanging out in a garage 24/7 waiting for the snow to fall and that's just not going to happen.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I think you're underestimating the complexities of cleaning out a city as large and complex as New York. Remember, Department of Sanitation and all the other city agencies are covering a massive five-borough area with millions of people in it. It's not that easy to just send out a couple of crews to clear the streets for a storm like the one we're expecting, it's a gigantic logistical nightmare where you're essentially attempting to address the needs of five small cities simultaneously where each resident/neighborhood is going to be furious if their streets aren't the first to be plowed. Plus, it's not just clearing the streets but also making sure the subway and bus systems are functioning in at least some capacity. It's just too massive a job and the city, despite probably having every single available worker doing overtime, does not have the personnel to get it done quickly enough to get everyone back into work while the snow is still falling. To do it the way you want you'd have to have a small army of personnel and vehicles basically just hanging out in a garage 24/7 waiting for the snow to fall and that's just not going to happen.

Thanks

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
3-13-17-SnowMapFinal-2.png

Snow totals increasing.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY

The reason the city seems so unprepared is the sheer amount of roadway that they need to be able to clear. Highways, side streets it all takes time... they are pre-deploying plows now just waiting for the snow but when the storm is dumping snow at a rate of 1-3 inches an hour it's just impossible. Never mind that with a Nor'easter the city had to worry about flooding by the ocean, and then the snow everywhere else. So it's not a lack of preparation it's just the size of the city plus the storm.

That's not even including DOT laws which prevent plow truck drivers from driving the entire time which means that each plow truck needs at least one person on the truck to switch in and out.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
weather going to be nasty down here near Philly as well...ugggg

Weather Channel app warning says we're gonna get 18-24.

I would say I would like the day off but its going to consist of me guarding my parking spot with cones and chairs after I shovel it.

Not exactly relaxing

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hope it ends up being what we had yesterday in Charlotte.

It's been an extremely warm winter, even by mid-south standards. Half the trees are already completely filled in with green leaves. Looks like early April. We had a front go through Friday night and caused the temperature to drop big time. My daughter's soccer game on Saturday afternoon felt like a game in January in England.

Snowed Saturday night into Sunday morning. But it's been so warm, there was NO accumulation on the roads, but 3-4 inches on the grass, cars, and anything else that could get cold.

By noon, the sun was out. By 4, it was 50 and all the snow was gone, except for the mini snowman my daughter and I tried to make in the morning.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The last March snowstorm was in 1993. Brian Leetch broke his ankle slipping on ice. He was out having dinner with Messier after a game. Leetch slipped on the ice getting out a taxi in front of his apartment. That's the story. He thought it was not serious. The following morning,Leetch reported to practice and told the trainers. The x-ray showed a fracture. The Rangers season was already bad and the Leetch injury was the final nail.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think by tonight around 8 we should have the best estimate.

I actually think we won't fully know until after midnight. This storm revolves around the coast. If it moves slightly east, we could avoid much of the nonsense down in Jersey by me.

I'm off tomorrow regardless for a medical issue (need my post put in for a crown). If that gets pushed back, I'll just have a free snow day.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
92˚ in Vegas Sunday afternoon. I'd rather have winter than the god awful summers here. :shakehead

I'll be more than happy to trade with you. I'm over winters as the older I get, every one gets harder and harder to make it through. I just want solid 70-80s 12 months during the year so I can go running and spend a lot of time outside/in the water.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Was hoping for an early Spring so that my aging lab could get more regular exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad