OT: Winter Storm Warning in Effect (8-20 inches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Has anyone ever tried lighting their driveway on fire to prevent snow accumulation? I want to try it but I'm unsure which fuel will have an optimal burn over a 24 hour period without the risk of seeping in to the water table or catching the garage on fire.

LMK

I would use CaCl2 (Calcium chloride) if I were you. Less risk of burning down the garage or the neighbour's house. ;)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I would use CaCl2 (Calcium chloride) if I were you. Less risk of burning down the garage or the neighbour's house. ;)

Yeah but that stuff gets all over my boots and makes a big mess in the garage and house. Plus it gets all up in my olfactory senses when it spreads.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
It's times like these I regret not having an SUV.

Gonna have to get one melt and all that. Stay safe, all.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Glad it's a 7pm game. If it is going to start around midnight can get home by then.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm in Rochester so I feel like I'm playing chicken with this storm. A huge wind storm out here knocked out power for a bunch of folks. Mine's been out since Wednesday (~40 degrees in my house right now, haha). According to RGE, they expect to get power restored to my neighborhood on Monday evening. If they have a delay or if that storm speeds up, that's going to make for a baaaaaad few days!

That's pretty hot man.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Can't think of a single one of these that wasn't overhyped beyond belief

Before yesterday I can't ever recall seeing a weather headline that described an impending NYC snow storm as "crippling."

Didn't we used to have a poster here who actually knew about meteorology? I actually remember coming here for info about impending storms a few years ago.
Yes. He knew his trade very well. Back when we had the Christmas-week blizzard in 2010 he was one of the few people trying ti warn everyone that the storm was going to be much bigger than it was predicted to be and he nailed it.

The silver lining is my part of the map is in the lighter shades of blue.

Has anyone ever tried lighting their driveway on fire to prevent snow accumulation? I want to try it but I'm unsure which fuel will have an optimal burn over a 24 hour period without the risk of seeping in to the water table or catching the garage on fire.

LMK

I had a new driveway poured last Summer and the one thing I regret is not having a radiated heat system installed.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Almost spring here south of Norway, but still some snow, blizzard in March! :)

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Big difference from NY to the Jersey Shore. Where I am on the Shore, we are scheduled for snow and rain....with a total snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. At least there won't be much to clean off the car.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Big difference from NY to the Jersey Shore. Where I am on the Shore, we are scheduled for snow and rain....with a total snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. At least there won't be much to clean off the car.

Well, the 1 to 3 inches is according to WeatherChannel. Accuweather has me at 4" to 8". I'm much happier with the 4 to 8 and hope that's what we get...I don't want to be left out of all the fun.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
I regret telling my boss that I live less than a mile away from my job. Now whenever it snows I'm the one who has to come in while he gets to take the day off. BTW I've been a fan of Hudson Valley Weather and they won't post totals until they are pretty sure. They are usually accurate. We are in for a pretty ugly storm it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad