OT: Winter Storm Jonas

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Yeah, these winds are crazy. It's still coming down heavy with some nasty winds.

That's where I'm at too. Looks like 2-3 feet in some spots, and then 4+ ft in other areas from drifts.

Last night/this morning at 3 am was pretty cool. I'd shovel an area on my patio, moved to the front yard for 20 minutes or so, and the back needed to be shovelled again!

Wow, just saw on the news they recoded 85 mph winds in Virginia. This storm is insane. I think I've made about 4 trips alone today to shovel. Time to make another. :laugh:

I'm not going out again until tomorrow, **** that man! I think I got enough today to keep it reasonable tomorrow.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Always such an event when the Mid-Atlantic states all suffer the same storm. Soooooo many people in the affected area, so many large cities and sprawling suburbs. It's a lot of snow to get rid of so we can all drive or walk again lol.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Simple. Don't drive.. And stay a few feet back from the salt and plow trucks. And don't act like the the world is ending ... You'll all be fine

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
would guess nearly 2.5 feet down here in south Brooklyn. just cleaned up the sidewalk for the last time. so pleasant outside right now. won't be when I have to walk nearly a mile to work for 8am :laugh:

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I'll go to NYC in two weeks. Should the snow be gone by then, or at least the worst part? I have no idea about blizzards.

Thanks

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I'll go to NYC in two weeks. Should the snow be gone by then, or at least the worst part? I have no idea about blizzards.

Thanks

Yeah, the snow should be gone in 2 weeks. You might see a few mounds of black snow (truly disgusting) on some corners or parking lots that might stick around if the temps don't rise too much, but looking at the forecast, it's suppose to be in the mid to high 40's next weekend. You'll be fine.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Yeah, the snow should be gone in 2 weeks. You might see a few mounds of black snow (truly disgusting) on some corners or parking lots that might stick around if the temps don't rise too much, but looking at the forecast, it's suppose to be in the mid to high 40's next weekend. You'll be fine.
Yeah I know that black snow, hate it too.
I saw the forecast as well, it's looking quite good, I hope that it's accurate 2-3 weeks in advance, I just had no idea how long, more or less, it takes for so much snow to melt in the US.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I know that black snow, hate it too.
I saw the forecast as well, it's looking quite good, I hope that it's accurate 2-3 weeks in advance, I just had no idea how long, more or less, it takes for so much snow to melt in the US.

If the weather and above freezing temperature doesn't melt the ice, NYC Sanitation has a snow melter(s?) they use. I assume they'll be bringing these out for this storm. This is from 2010,

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Lirl with the wind and snow drifts, there's like 4 feet of snow on top of my car

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
We have a nice amount here 2.5" in SE Virginia. It's enough to be pretty but not overwhelming. We don't need to shovel. :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Man. Some crazy snow. Up in Hoboken with my girlfriend. We were supposed to get 5-8 originally when I left to come up here. Then it changed to 8-12. Then 10-14. Then 14-20. Then 20-28. Just nuts. I think we ended up with two feet or so. Was not expecting this at all.

94wasagoodyear

Jan 19, 2014
The game is still on for tomorrow right? I assume everything will be up and running tomorrow. I Got tickets to the game tomorrow and I'm only in town until Tuesday am so I hope it's still on schedule.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The game is still on for tomorrow right? I assume everything will be up and running tomorrow. I Got tickets to the game tomorrow and I'm only in town until Tuesday am so I hope it's still on schedule.

The city will be nearly fully operational by tomorrow morning.

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
would guess nearly 2.5 feet down here in south Brooklyn. just cleaned up the sidewalk for the last time. so pleasant outside right now. won't be when I have to walk nearly a mile to work for 8am :laugh:

I got about the same in Bay Ridge, and shoveled probably 7 or 8 times yesterday so I wont have to really do much today. Though with the drifts and wind and whatnot my Wrangler(TJ) was under about 4 or 5 feet. Dropped some sand, put it in 4 and rolled on out - everyone else in my communal driveway currently hates me since they all have small cars that cant handle snow:laugh:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I'm finally done! Hopefully that's it for this winter. Ridiculous what one storm can do. Hopefully the warmer weather this week takes care of all of the huge piles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad