Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Discontent II: Discontent Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I highly doubt Cain is holding up the OF market, I’m not sure that he even has much of a market at this point.

i mean other than being the best free agent position player on the market.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Unsurprisingly, that is a pretty slick piece of business by AA. It probably helps that he's always willing to think big.

cash neutral, all one year deals taken on....with the only guy with any real value having an option attached. gets a couple other lottery tickets that could get him some trade return at the deadlne if he's lucky, too.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
i mean other than being the best free agent position player on the market.
Here are some of the teams that are likely to be interested in him

- Toronto
- Mets
- San Francisco
- Seattle
- Rangers

I see Hamilton as a better fit for San Francisco than Cain, and I would not be surprised to see him land there. Seattle got their center fielder in Gordon, the Mets have bigger problems than CF, Texas could be a fit but I would not be surprised to see them roll with DeShields in CF. I think there are teams that are interested, but I don’t think his market will get to the point where there is a semi-bidding war. I think this is a good chance for Toronto to jump in and get a quality player.

I’m all for signing Cain, I think his game can hold up as he ages despite his skill profile. I just don’t see his market taking off from where it likely stands right now. That’s just my opinion though, and I’m probably wrong.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Unsurprisingly, that is a pretty slick piece of business by AA. It probably helps that he's always willing to think big.

cash neutral, all one year deals taken on....with the only guy with any real value having an option attached. gets a couple other lottery tickets that could get him some trade return at the deadlne if he's lucky, too.

Smart little move by both sides. Not a lot of on-field impact, but helps them both financially.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
AA knew exactly what the dodgers wanted so this was likely an easy one for him.

Sabathia back to the yanks

I’m waiting to see something happen for us.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I fully expect this management to not be able to commit one way or another

Thus, we're definitely not trading Donaldson, Stroman, Osuna, etc...
At the same time, we're not giving anyone a long term contract
We'll sign guys like Gomez, CarGo to 1-2 year deals to try and stay competitive for this year...which I think is fools gold because we won't be able to hang with the Yankees and Red Soxs

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I doubt it happens but I would love for Madrigal to fall to the Jays. Unfortunately it looks like teams have stopped being stupid with small players.

Could definitely see Oakland taking him early. If we did get him is it Bo to 3B, SS/2B to Warmoth Madrigal?

Madrigal imo is worst case Eckstein (or bust) and best case maybe Knoblach?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I fully expect this management to not be able to commit one way or another

Thus, we're definitely not trading Donaldson, Stroman, Osuna, etc...
At the same time, we're not giving anyone a long term contract
We'll sign guys like Gomez, CarGo to 1-2 year deals to try and stay competitive for this year...which I think is fools gold because we won't be able to hang with the Yankees and Red Soxs

Then we have assets to sell at the TDL like Smith last year. There's nothing really wrong with trying to go for the short term. It's pretty clear that unless they resign Donaldson, they are probably not going for it after this year anyways.

Either way, I doubt someone like Cain is the difference between the Jays jumping over those other two teams, or getting us much further in general.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Could definitely see Oakland taking him early. If we did get him is it Bo to 3B, SS/2B to Warmoth Madrigal?

Madrigal imo is worst case Eckstein (or bust) and best case maybe Knoblach?

Isn't Vlad Jr. supposed to be the 3B of the future?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Conine or Jenista are two nice college bats.

One guy I really like but probably won't go until late first is Alec Bohm. Great approach and easy power. If he could only be a legit third baseman or even outfielder (below average range and average arm) I think he'd go higher.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Oh my god, its so smart and different and unique. What a genius AA is thinking outside the box like that. other teams certainly wouldn't ever think of doing something like that Liriano and having the fortitude to use financial flexibility to take on a team's unwanted assets at full value in order to extract other desirable pieces from teams that need to shed some payroll Liriano again. So unique.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That's the hope, but most expect him to move across to first if his body gets too big.

I would hope some of Gurriel Jr. or Urena could step into the gap then. And that Travis can stay healthy. That way you have Gurriel Jr., Urena, Travis, Bo, Warmoth, and maybe some lower tier guys who come up as your middle infielders going forward.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Then we have assets to sell at the TDL like Smith last year. There's nothing really wrong with trying to go for the short term. It's pretty clear that unless they resign Donaldson, they are probably not going for it after this year anyways.

Either way, I doubt someone like Cain is the difference between the Jays jumping over those other two teams, or getting us much further in general.

If player x isn't the difference between the Jays making and not making the playoffs then why are we stalling an inevitable rebuild.

The longer we stall, the longer the rebuild will take. Highly doubt Donaldson's value goes higher than it is right now the closer he is to FA.

Also, there's nothing wrong with signing players to 1-2 year deals and then trading them off at the TDL if the direction of this organization is clear.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If player x isn't the difference between the Jays making and not making the playoffs then why are we stalling an inevitable rebuild.

The longer we stall, the longer the rebuild will take. Highly doubt Donaldson's value goes higher than it is right now the closer he is to FA.

Also, there's nothing wrong with signing players to 1-2 year deals and then trading them off at the TDL if the direction of this organization is clear.

I believe Atkins called it "loyalty to the fan base" or something like that.

The thing is, with the way some of the minor league guys are developing, it may not even be a long rebuild. Keep some key guys like Stroman, Osuna, etc. and add around them properly, and you can deal a Donaldson for a huge return and use those assets + the ones we have to have a competitive team in the near future.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If we traded for him it better be more like a Liriano deal where they give us prospects to take the contract. They have a deep system after all.

If they took back Morales + the prospects were really nice, it's not the worst thing. Can he still play OF or he 100% DH at this point.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I believe Atkins called it "loyalty to the fan base" or something like that.

The thing is, with the way some of the minor league guys are developing, it may not even be a long rebuild. Keep some key guys like Stroman, Osuna, etc. and add around them properly, and you can deal a Donaldson for a huge return and use those assets + the ones we have to have a competitive team in the near future.

Which is absolutely stupid. The Leafs management for years tried pandering to the fanbase by trying to be "just good enough" to sneak into the playoffs.

If we're rebuilding, Donaldson and Osuna are goners in my mind. Trading Donaldson is quite obvious and Osuna, I'm not convinced that his arm won't fall off at any moment based on his history. Stroman, I'd like to see what we can get in return.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad