Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How does Gibby overwork him?

Reasons.

He's 8th in reliever ip over the last 3 years. Less than Yusmeiro Petit or Dellin Betances. And right around the range of a bunch of others (about 65-70 innings a season.)

The only thing I can think of is that this is one of those " he's the closer and should only be in the game for clean save situations" things

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
How does Gibby overwork him?

-12th among closers in IP
-6th in GP
-If they counted back-to-back appearances (8) and back-to-back-to-back (2) I'm sure he would be top 5 from what I've seen.

*That's not even counting the consecutive games of back-to-back / day off / back-to-back / day off / back-to-back that you can see in his game logs.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
-12th among closers in IP
-6th in GP
-If they counted back-to-back appearances (8) and back-to-back-to-back (2) I'm sure he would be top 5 from what I've seen.

*That's not even counting the consecutive games of back-to-back / day off / back-to-back / day off / back-to-back that you can see in his game logs.
You consider 12th and 6th overworking? Isn't that what an elite closer's workload should look like? Or would you prefer having one of the position's best players sitting on the bench more relative to his peers?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
You consider 12th and 6th overworking? Isn't that what an elite closer's workload should look like? Or would you prefer having one of the position's best players sitting on the bench more relative to his peers?

-12th in a vacuum not really, but it's actually more like 8-9 since a couple of guys ahead of him did not start the year as closers and had more easy innings.

-6th in appearances yes, that's a lot especially when they're consecutive as they often were.

-I didn't say I want him sitting. The question was why is Osuna's arm a risky investment longterm. I stated work load as one of the reasons and it definitely is especially at his age. How many 22 - year old relievers have pitched as much and as often before 22? I'm genuinely curious cause I don't know, but it would be interesting to know.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
-12th in a vacuum not really, but it's actually more like 8-9 since a couple of guys ahead of him did not start the year as closers and had more easy innings.

-6th in appearances yes, that's a lot especially when they're consecutive as they often were.

-I didn't say I want him sitting. The question was why is Osuna's arm a risky investment longterm. I stated work load as one of the reasons and it definitely is especially at his age. How many 22 - year old relievers have pitched as much and as often before 22? I'm genuinely curious cause I don't know, but it would be interesting to know.
You're going to need to quantify the easy innings and consecutive outings claims. And if you're going to cite his age as a reason he needs to be protected, then you have to cite evidence that young relievers have to be protected even more than Osuna has (12th most innings out of 30 closers. Until you provide evidence that he went on more consecutive days than most and/or had more easy innings, that can't be used as part of the argument).

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
You're going to need to quantify the easy innings and consecutive outings claims. And if you're going to cite his age as a reason he needs to be protected, then you have to cite evidence that young relievers have to be protected even more than Osuna has (12th most innings out of 30 closers. Until you provide evidence that he went on more consecutive days than most and/or had more easy innings, that can't be used as part of the argument).

Firstly, I don't NEED to do anything, so let's that get that out of the way. I can look up the consecutive innings compared to the other top closers though, sure, since that's an easy enough thing to do.

Easy innings is objectively unquantifiable unless you simply operationalize easier innings as non-save situations. It was a throw-away comment though so I won't even get into it since it's not really important.

As far as age, I did a quick look at the top closers over the last 2 decades (Rivera, Hoffman, Holland, Jansen, etc.) None have pitched as many MLB innings before the age of 22 as Osuna has. Is there evidence to suggest this will definitely result in injury? Not at present. But the fact that it hasn't been done very often or at all, is a great reason for uncertainty.

It's like saying has a starting pitcher in the modern era ever pitched 400+ innings in a season? The answer is probably no. Is there evidence that pitching that many innings in a season can cause injury? Probably not, but you probably don't want to test it out either.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Firstly, I don't NEED to do anything, so let's that get that out of the way. I can look up the consecutive innings compared to the other top closers though, sure, since that's an easy enough thing to do.

Easy innings in unquantifiable unless you simply operationalize easier innings as non-save situations. It was a throw-away comment so I won't even get into it since it's not really important.

As far as age, I did a quick look at the top closers over the last 2 decades (Rivera, Hoffman, Jansen, etc.) None have pitched as many MLB innings before the age of 22 as Osuna has. Is there evidence to suggest this will definitely result in injury? Not at present. But the fact that it hasn't been done very often or at all, is a great reason for uncertainty.

It's like saying has a starting pitcher in the modern era ever pitched 400+ innings in a season? The answer is probably no. Is there evidence that pitching that many innings in a season can cause injury? Probably not, but you probably don't want to test it out either.
Lol. If you want to present a credible claim, then yes you do "need" to. That better tough guy? And comparing Osuna to "top" closers, I don't think that's a valid comparison. If you want to assess risk of injury, shouldn't you be comparing him to all other closers, not just a randomly selected subset? And you certainly can't conclude that it hasn't been done before that relievers haven't pitched as many innings as Osuna before age 22 just based on looking at top closers from recent years. And given that many relievers were starters earlier in their careers, it wouldn't be a surprise if not many had broken in in a big way at Osuna's age. But one can't just assume that it leads to a greater injury risk because it fits their argument.

As for easy innings, it could be quantified in terms of leverage, pitches thrown, etc. But if you want to drop that part of it then I guess it's irrelevant.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Lol. If you want to present a credible claim, then yes you do "need" to. That better tough guy? And comparing Osuna to "top" closers, I don't think that's a valid comparison. If you want to assess risk of injury, shouldn't you be comparing him to all other closers, not just a randomly selected subset? And you certainly can't conclude that it hasn't been done before that relievers haven't pitched as many innings as Osuna before age 22 just based on looking at top closers from recent years. And given that many relievers were starters earlier in their careers, it wouldn't be a surprise if not many had broken in in a big way at Osuna's age. But one can't just assume that it leads to a greater injury risk because it fits their argument.

As for easy innings, it could be quantified in terms of leverage, pitches thrown, etc. But if you want to drop that part of it then I guess it's irrelevant.

Will put together some data to compare consecutive games pitched for closers once I have some time (maybe a day or two). So far I have Kenley as zero 3 game appearances, and Kimbrel at 3 (same as Osuna).

You're the guy who stated "isn't that what an 'elite closers' workload should look like." I'm working off of your identifier, not a randomly selected subset.

I compared him to the top closers over the last few decades because presumably they would have played the most innings and seen the most games played, but I'd be happy to compare him to any closers you'd like, not to win a pissing match with some internet random but because I'm curious to know myself.

I didn't assume it would lead to injury, in fact I acknowledged as much that we don't know. The uncertainty about that is exactly what concerns me if it has never been done. We don't know if playing 400 innings as a starter today will lead to injury either like I said, there is no sample size to compare to, but I guarantee that uncertainty would give any baseball executive pause even if there's no frame of reference.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would anyone be interested in Travis Wood? DFAed by the Padres, and had an absolutely atrocious year last year, but he was pretty good before that and apparently would not cost very much to pick up. If we need a lefty out of the pen and do not want to pay for one that is.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Will put together some data to compare consecutive games pitched for closers once I have some time (maybe a day or two). So far I have Kenley as zero 3 game appearances, and Kimbrel at 3 (same as Osuna).

You're the guy who stated "isn't that what an 'elite closers' workload should look like." I'm working off of your identifier, not a randomly selected subset.

I compared him to the top closers over the last few decades because presumably they would have played the most innings and seen the most games played, but I'd be happy to compare him to any closers you'd like, not to win a pissing match with some internet random but because I'm curious to know myself.

I didn't assume it would lead to injury, in fact I acknowledged as much that we don't know. The uncertainty about that is exactly what concerns me if it has never been done. We don't know if playing 400 innings as a starter today will lead to injury either like I said, there is no sample size to compare to, but I guarantee that uncertainty would give any baseball executive pause even if there's no frame of reference.
Well, you said his arm was a ticking time bomb so I'm just trying to figure out why that would be. I think it's reasonable to say that someone who's 12th in innings among the 30 who would be expected to pitch the most innings among his position (the team's best relief pitcher) is not being overworked. And you dropped the "easy innings" thing. So the only other claim left of yours that you might be basing this on is the assumption that no one, or few, relief pitchers have pitched so many innings at his age or younger.

And I said an elite closer would be near the top in total innings pitched, I didn't say that the only way to find out Osuna's comparables for potential arm troubles was to restrict the comparisons to top closers from recent years. Unnecessarily narrowing the data points is not the way to reach a reliable and valid conclusion.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure why we’re using mlb innings by age 22 to indicate that Osuna is being overworked. We’ve already been made aware through all of the accolades that his call-up and performance is unprecedented.

As for the velocity dip, I’ll only be super concerned if it drops again. I know he dealt with the neck issue and then when he came back he fell in love with his cutter and scrapped the four seam for awhile. He said at the end of the year that he wants to bring it back into his game more consistently next season, so we’ll see how the velocity plays out then.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not sure why we’re using mlb innings by age 22 to indicate that Osuna is being overworked. We’ve already been made aware through all of the accolades that his call-up and performance is unprecedented.

As for the velocity dip, I’ll only be super concerned if it drops again. I know he dealt with the neck issue and then when he came back he fell in love with his cutter and scrapped the four seam for awhile. He said at the end of the year that he wants to bring it back into his game more consistently next season, so we’ll see how the velocity plays out then.

I brought it up because it's an interesting stat and as you said unprecedented which means it puts him in uncharted or little-charted territory. We can make similar criticisms about the randomness of innings increased percentages such as the verreducci (sp?) effect, except we actually have more data for that. The point is that's a lot of high leverage innings and mileage for a guy at a very early age, and we don't know if that's a good thing.

My original post was as a bit of a joke, because pitchers in general are proverbially risky assets due to injury. I thought, much as I think the guy I quoted initially did, we should sell high on a reliever if we're not competing in the immediate future. It makes sense given the volatility of such assets and given the context of our current competitive window.

As far as the velocity dip we'll see as you said. I'm aware of the cutter he fell in love with but I was referencing his 4-seam velocity which was almost 2mph down on average. The cutter can also be more stressful on the elbow I believe, which wouldn't be good either, if it's over-relied upon.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I’m aware the 4 seam dropped 2 ticks, and judging by his comments made at the end of the season it seemed as though that was largely due to him just having zero feel and confidence for it. If he comes back and settles in around 95 I wouldn’t be worried. Sure it may not be 96-97, but he also doesn’t really need that so long as he has consistent command and control of it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I’m aware the 4 seam dropped 2 ticks, and judging by his comments made at the end of the season it seemed as though that was largely due to him just having zero feel and confidence for it. If he comes back and settles in around 95 I wouldn’t be worried. Sure it may not be 96-97, but he also doesn’t really need that so long as he has consistent command and control of it.

Fair enough. Do you think we should keep or trade him if we're not going to be competitive over the next 2 years? I mean the Tigers are even considering trading Fulmer, presumably for similar reasons. Not saying you give him away, but if you could get a top position player prospect for a closer (even an elite one) when you're not really a playoff contender you would have to consider it right?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently the Dodgers will release Kemp prior to him ever playing for them in 2018, which makes sense. There’s no room. They’re going to try to trade him though first in the hopes someone will pick up some of the contract, adding prospects as a sweetener.

Kemp (2/3rds retained by LAD) + Toles and Rios for Pearce

Toles is your starting LF, and Kemp replaces Pearce as your DH/OF swing man bench bat. LAD exchanges some of the contract, while getting a more marketable piece, on a one year deal, they can choose to keep or trade once more.

I get my chief priority outfield addition of the offseason. Everyone wins.
Although I like what your proposing here I read that they did the trade so they could buy him out to get under the luxury tax so it would reset. Making this move and eating salary I think prevents them from doing that. I’m not sure how retained salary works with the tax

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well, you said his arm was a ticking time bomb so I'm just trying to figure out why that would be.

He had TJ surgery as a teenager, which elevates the risk of needing to have another at some point (I don't have the article bookmarked, but you can search for it yourself). Also, young pitchers who pitch as hard as he does also have an elevated chance of needing TJ. And while 80%+ of pitchers come back fine after one TJ, the odds of coming back from a second TJ are much lower.

So not a ticking time bomb, but he does have an elevated risk profile.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He had TJ surgery as a teenager, which elevates the risk of needing to have another at some point (I don't have the article bookmarked, but you can search for it yourself). Also, young pitchers who pitch as hard as he does also have an elevated chance of needing TJ. And while 80%+ of pitchers come back fine after one TJ, the odds of coming back from a second TJ are much lower.

So not a ticking time bomb, but he does have an elevated risk profile.
But that would be true for all pitchers who've undergone the procedure, yes? Or to look at it a different way, he's already "had" his TJ, whereas another hard-throwing reliever doesn't have his out of the way yet (and the vast majority of closers are hard-throwers). I just don't see how having undergone TJ previously, in an age where the surgery is ubiquitous, makes it a noteworthy risk that separates Osuna from other pitchers in such a way that would affect his valuation.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
every pitcher's arm is a ticking time bomb.

there's no particular reason to think osuna's any kind of special risk.

Reactions: Mach85

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
But that would be true for all pitchers who've undergone the procedure, yes? Or to look at it a different way, he's already "had" his TJ, whereas another hard-throwing reliever doesn't have his out of the way yet (and the vast majority of closers are hard-throwers). I just don't see how having undergone TJ previously, in an age where the surgery is ubiquitous, makes it a noteworthy risk that separates Osuna from other pitchers in such a way that would affect his valuation.

I don't remember the exact number, but a pitcher who has had one TJ surgery has something like twice the chance of having another compared to a guy who's never had it. And like I'd mentioned, a 2nd TJ surgery has a smaller come back rate than the first. You definitely want to avoid TJ if you can - it's not really a "get it out of the way" surgery. Also, like I'd mentioned, high velocity guys are at higher risk to begin with.

Doesn't mean he'll get it, but statistically and factually he does have an elevated risk profile.

Edit: Here's one article on the subject.
Predicting Tommy John Surgeries

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I don't remember the exact number, but a pitcher who has had one TJ surgery has something like twice the chance of having another compared to a guy who's never had it. And like I'd mentioned, a 2nd TJ surgery has much smaller come back rate than the first. You definitely want to avoid TJ if you can - it's not really a "get it out of the way" surgery. Also, like I'd mentioned, high velocity guys are at higher risk to begin with.

Doesn't mean he'll get it, but statistically and factually he does have an elevated risk profile.
Yes, I understand your point. I just don't know if it significantly elevates his risk enough to change his valuation. According to Fangraphs, there were 161 pitchers used in MLB in 2016 who have had Tommy John reconstruction surgery. About 30% of pitchers have had the surgery. For a surgery that ubiquitous, and with velocity the highest it's ever been, we can assume that many of those pitchers who haven't had the surgery yet will at some point in their career. So everyone's risk profile is pretty high as a pitcher these days, and I don't think we know enough about predicting arm troubles to make it a significant factor in making a decision on someone like Osuna, based off of one previous TJ that he was successfully recovered from.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
So everyone's risk profile is pretty high as a pitcher these days.

This ultimately what it comes down to. It's the reason why teams not in the midst of a competitive window float their pitching assets to other teams to see what they can get (Fulmer with Detroit, Archer with TB, Duffy with Kansas City, etc), while teams who intend to compete don't try to trade similarly risky assets.

You could include Stroman or Sanchez in those trade scenarios (and some have this off season). The reason Osuna is unique in this situation is that having an elite closer as a not competitive team (see Baltimore with Britton, Colome with TB, and Philly with Giles last year) is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Given the risk profile of pitchers in general it's worth seeing if you can push that risk forward to a time when you stand more to benefit from the potential rewards (production during your competitive window) that offset that potential risk.

Note: I'm not saying trade him for whatever. But if you can get a great return for a closer that is more of a luxury to you than a necessity, you have to at least consider it. I'm thinking along the lines of what New York got for Andrew Miller as a template.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

there's no particular reason to think osuna's any kind of special risk.

He's not a special risk compared to other guys who have had Tommy John. He is a special risk compared to the average pitcher, though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pretty sure the "average" pitcher has had TJ.

and the last thing i read on 2nd tj surgeries was that the return rate was pretty close to 1st tjs.

and of course relieving is much easier than starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad