Pre-Game Talk: Winnipeg vs Calgary Feb 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Super hyperbole here. The Jets haven't played a playoff game because they've been functioning with 2 good forward lines (relative to competition) 2 good defense pairs and well-below average goaltending. You're really going to pin that on one of the few good players the Jets have had over 4 seasons. Cripes!

Good player - is what this whole discussion is about.

He's a very good player when he's playing his offensive game but stays solid defensively, playing physical, and committed to team play. We're seen very good Buff this year. When his play is loose, it seems to rub off on others and their whole team play seems to waiver.

The team's goals for and against is poor when they play loose. It may be ok when Buff is on the ice, though over time that erodes as well.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Maurice's message wasn't heard very well by the team. They continued to take selfish undisciplined penalties for the rest of the game.

Let's see how they do tomorrow before we judge how they respond to it. I think it's a tough train to stop in game.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The team's goals for and against is poor when they play loose. It may be ok when Buff is on the ice, though over time that erodes as well.

Doesn't really apply to the last game though. It was pretty much all on the PK.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Doesn't really apply to the last game though. It was pretty much all on the PK.

Absolutely. Last night was pk.

Thinking more so of the Philly game. Defensively, that wasn't textbook by any stretch. Pens game as well.

If they don't get back to playing they way they did, it won't just be the pk.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Absolutely. Last night was pk.

Thinking more so of the Philly game. Defensively, that wasn't textbook by any stretch. Pens game as well.

If they don't get back to playing they way they did, it won't just be the pk.

The Philly game was as much if not more on the forwards IMO. The system was broken. It wasn't Buff.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Sorry, I think all of this loose Buff, structured Buff is nonsense, how is he not fitting into the team structure? How does anyone even know this? I don't see him playing dramatically looser than before the break when he was as freewheeling as he ever was. Of course he dictates much of how the team goes, he's on the ice for almost half the game but I don't pin others loose play on him, and I don't think Maurice would either. I agree with YWG that the biggest culprits have been the forwards, in a couple of areas. The D has made some questionable decisions trying to keep the puck in but it's been more a case of poor communication.

They had a so so game in Pittsburgh, again penalties played the biggest role. They were pretty poor against Philly, poor gaps, disorganized forecheck, forwards leaving the d zone early, too many guys caught deep in the O- zone, bad communication, just bad. Other than some stupid penalties though they played pretty damn well 5v5 against Dallas, as Maurice pointed out, far better than the 2-1 game they won. The forecheck was back and the forwards were supporting the attacking D and getting good back pressure. Penalties killed them, that's it, that's all, nothing left to see.

If they play like they did last night 5v5 against the Flames, stay out of the box and get good goaltending they will be tough to beat......book it.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Buff only moved back to D because of injuries, but since we're 100% healthy we're now losing and not looking good in those lost games. I'm not ready to say move him back to forward yet, but it does make one raise an eyebrow watching them the last three games.

I want to see penalty's sort out first though.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
You're saying we should start Pavs? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

As in, start the "dumpster fire" (Pavs)? :naughty:

upvote_christian_bale.gif

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Sorry, I think all of this loose Buff, structured Buff is nonsense, how is he not fitting into the team structure? How does anyone even know this? I don't see him playing dramatically looser than before the break when he was as freewheeling as he ever was. Of course he dictates much of how the team goes, he's on the ice for almost half the game but I don't pin others loose play on him, and I don't think Maurice would either. I agree with YWG that the biggest culprits have been the forwards, in a couple of areas. The D has made some questionable decisions trying to keep the puck in but it's been more a case of poor communication.

They had a so so game in Pittsburgh, again penalties played the biggest role. They were pretty poor against Philly, poor gaps, disorganized forecheck, forwards leaving the d zone early, too many guys caught deep in the O- zone, bad communication, just bad. Other than some stupid penalties though they played pretty damn well 5v5 against Dallas, as Maurice pointed out, far better than the 2-1 game they won. The forecheck was back and the forwards were supporting the attacking D and getting good back pressure. Penalties killed them, that's it, that's all, nothing left to see.

If they play like they did last night 5v5 against the Flames, stay out of the box and get good goaltending they will be tough to beat......book it.

I say it's not just the pk. I see them cheating all over the ice. Offensively and defensively.

When buff was playing well, he was in on the rush, then back in defensive position. The doughty, Kopitar double whammy was a good example of where he was back defensively and physical against the opposing rush. We don't see that type of play in last few games, why? He's caught up ice more. Hopefully he's just having a few off games and returns to form.

Jets play man defence and Buff takes every opportunity to press up top and has consistently leaves the zone anticipating a break, even when it's not there. That puts a lot of pressure on the players left down low. He didn't do that a month ago. Why now? And why is it not corrected?

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
When the Flames make Buff look bad(hard working team) then moving buff to forward will be a more talked about option.

The idea of having Postma-who's played great, and has surpassed expectations to date- back in the line up playing with Chariot is a much more solid option.

It was hard to pick between these two for Blue Shakehead posts of the night, so I nominated them both. Congrats!

:shakehead

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
lmao so Buff = the mumps

comedy gold up in here

Yup, I can't wrap my head around how much of this is being laid at Buff's feet, some serious exaggeration going on. He's still been physical, he's still been back to defend, he's still starting the rush and he's still taking chances, nothing new.

They took too many penalties last night and did a terrible job killing them, otherwise I have very little issue with how they played, especially on the defensive side of the puck.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh brother. Moving Buff back to forward is not the answer. There's just no way its going to happen at this point. He's a D man not a ping pong ball and he has made it pretty clear that he's not interested in going back to forward. Not only that, but he's more impactful and more of a threat at D. It's time to move beyond the notion that we can just move one of our D men back and forth to solve problems at forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad