Pre-Game Talk: Winnipeg vs Calgary Feb 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I've said it before, but I really do believe Buff and the way he plays ripples through the defense. Everyone seems to play a looser game with less attention to detail. If somehow Maurice can reign in Buff and get the rest of the defense to focus on defense first maybe we can hold things together. It just seems we are gradually drifting back to the previous carnations of the team. Including poor goaltending.

Well said, King.

That is my concern too. And they punish Bogo for a dumb penalty. I'm fine with that. But punish Buff if he's taking a dumb penalty or misconduct too. Punish Ladd or Perreault.

PoMo has some work to do to get this team to that aggressive, focused, relentless group that plays a structured game. Maybe that's why he's frustrated.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So pretty much everything is Buffs fault. Makes sense. Postma is a better option.

heard it here on hfjets, Postma is a better defenseman than Dustin Byfuglien

Personally, I think most of our defensive lapses as of late have been due to the forwards, not our D. I certainly don't see a huge drop-off in Buff's situational awareness myself, but I DO see looser coverage by the forwards.

The Dallas game was better than the Philly and Pens game for them though, so I'm hoping that we drift back to the smothering coverage that we had going on a month / month-and-a-half a go.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not saying Postma is better than Buff. I'm saying that having him play 14-16 mins and having Bogo and Trouba play 22+ is a better option than Buff Bogo and Trouba getting 20

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Well said, King.

That is my concern too. And they punish Bogo for a dumb penalty. I'm fine with that. But punish Buff if he's taking a dumb penalty or misconduct too. Punish Ladd or Perreault.

PoMo has some work to do to get this team to that aggressive, focused, relentless group that plays a structured game. Maybe that's why he's frustrated.

In Maurice's interview, he insinuated that it wasn't really Bogo that was being targeted - it was the next person to take a stupid penalty, and he punched the ticket.

He also said that he really liked the way he handled being benched for it. Personally, I'm just happy it wasn't an injury - I was thinking: "Aaargh! Not again". ;)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not to mention that Buff IS a force on forward.

Buff is a FORCE on D actually. When he's on the ice the Jets outshoot and outscore the opposition. Not so when he plays forward.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm not saying Postma is better than Buff. I'm saying that having him play 14-16 mins and having Bogo and Trouba play 22+ is a better option than Buff Bogo and Trouba getting 20

Or Buff getting 25+, Trouba 22+, and Bogo 15

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Personally, I think most of our defensive lapses as of late have been due to the forwards, not our D. I certainly don't see a huge drop-off in Buff's situational awareness myself, but I DO see looser coverage by the forwards.

The Dallas game was better than the Philly and Pens game for them though, so I'm hoping that we drift back to the smothering coverage that we had going on a month / month-and-a-half a go.

It looks to me like Little and Scheifele, Frolik are banged up. The forwards are likely starting to get worn down with only playing 3 lines 95% of the ice time.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Or Buff getting 25+, Trouba 22+, and Bogo 15

When Maurice was talking about the D pairing shuffle he hinted that there could be more in the future. I could see a future Bogo Stu pairing.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
In Maurice's interview, he insinuated that it wasn't really Bogo that was being targeted - it was the next person to take a stupid penalty, and he punched the ticket.

He also said that he really liked the way he handled being benched for it. Personally, I'm just happy it wasn't an injury - I was thinking: "Aaargh! Not again". ;)

Hmmmm. Took a penalty on first shift back, which they scored on. Wasn't selfish, just poor choice.

But great, for Bogo, I guess. Might get out of PoMo's doghouse sooner.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
When Maurice was talking about the D pairing shuffle he hinted that there could be more in the future. I could see a future Bogo Stu pairing.

I'm thinking Troubs and Bogo. Otherwise it's Toby/Buff, Chiarot/Troubs, Stu/Bogo.

A Troubs/Bogo spreads the mins more effectively so they get 22+ mins.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

That was my take on it at the time, it didn't make sense that he was singling out Bogo, it was a team message.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Buff is a FORCE on D actually. When he's on the ice the Jets outshoot and outscore the opposition. Not so when he plays forward.

Yep, average forward. Most of his production as a forward comes when he's QBing the PP. Doesn't get the puck enough as a winger to make an impact.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Maurice's message wasn't heard very well by the team. They continued to take selfish undisciplined penalties for the rest of the game.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm thinking Troubs and Bogo. Otherwise it's Toby/Buff, Chiarot/Troubs, Stu/Bogo.

A Troubs/Bogo spreads the mins more effectively so they get 22+ mins.

I bet it's not. It'll be more like your otherwise.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

He is, when he plays within the team structure. He's dominating. Was that way up to the last 2-3 games before t he break. Some things were creeping into his game. He generates offence, and goaltending bails them out, so they gave him a pass.

Buff is a free spirit. Great support guy, but if he's your leader, you're in a bit of trouble if he's not 100% bought in. He needs to be brought back in, or we're in a bit of trouble, IMO.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
He is, when he plays within the team structure. He's dominating. Was that way up to the last 2-3 games before t he break. Some things were creeping into his game. He generates offence, and goaltending bails them out, so they gave him a pass.

Buff is a free spirit. Great support guy, but if he's your leader, you're in a bit of trouble if he's not 100% bought in. He needs to be brought back in, or we're in a bit of trouble, IMO.

I don't understand why this is such a hard concept around here. Buff is a net positive as a defenseman. He always has been. In every measurable way he is elite or near elite.

Go look at the giveaway stats for the last 5 years. Who do you see?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I bet it's not. It'll be more like your otherwise.

Chiarot and Troubs?? Doubt it, longer term anyway.

Bogo was top pair guy that you're paying $5+ mill/yr, and has played fine this year. So I don't see Chiarot getting more ice than him. They will not give Troubs only 18 mins/game. He should get close to the most mins, if not the most.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Maurice's message wasn't heard very well by the team. They continued to take selfish undisciplined penalties for the rest of the game.

Yeah, possibly not, but you have to start somewhere. I'm sure it got some of them thinking after the emotion of the game was over.

Some of the penalties called after that one were ... questionable. Buff's was a no-brainer, the second slashing call on Bogo was very iffy, and for us to come out of the 'manufactured' whistle that Fiddler managed to get down 2 men was ludicrous.

I guess we'll see in the Calgary game. Someone said it well earlier: it's probably a matter of some laziness (stick infractions, holding, hooking), combined with Refs knowing that we take a lot of penalties, and other teams working us well on the penalty side.

Our PK isn't doing us any favours as of late either: when it was red-hot, it was "Penalty? Hah! Who cares". How it's hurting us, and makes the minutes that we're racking up more noticeable as it's affecting the outcome of games when our PK can't shut things down.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Buff is a force because he is hugely talented and is an extremely unique player. But I agree if Buff drifts away from the game plan the whole team drifts with him. More then any other player on the roster Buff needs to buy in 100% to the system, except I think his natural tendency is to just let his talent take over and let the chips fall where they may.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't understand why this is such a hard concept around here. Buff is a net positive as a defenseman. He always has been. In every measurable way he is elite or near elite.

Go look at the giveaway stats for the last 5 years. Who do you see?

And how many playoff games have the Jets played?

Not blaming Buff for that solely, but he's part of the problem when he plays loose, IMO. So is goaltending to blame the last few years, but solid structured Buff is a Norris candidate. Loose Buff causes trouble, IMO. Wins/losses stat speaks more to this than anything else, IMO.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Chiarot and Troubs?? Doubt it, longer term anyway.

Bogo was top pair guy that you're paying $5+ mill/yr, and has played fine this year. So I don't see Chiarot getting more ice than him. They will not give Troubs only 18 mins/game. He should get close to the most mins, if not the most.

I don't see either one shifting to LHD. Not this year at least.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
And how many playoff games have the Jets played?

Not blaming Buff for that solely, but he's part of the problem when he plays loose, IMO. So is goaltending to blame the last few years, but solid structured Buff is a Norris candidate. Loose Buff causes trouble, IMO. Wins/losses stat speaks more to this than anything else, IMO.

Super hyperbole here. The Jets haven't played a playoff game because they've been functioning with 2 good forward lines (relative to competition) 2 good defense pairs and well-below average goaltending. You're really going to pin that on one of the few good players the Jets have had over 4 seasons. Cripes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad