Pre-Game Talk: Winnipeg vs Calgary Feb 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think you forgot to mention that Toby is really starting to get dominated physically vs the bigger Western teams

I've been on record as saying Toby has struggled, and he'd be the guy I would move in a deal.

I'm a bit sour on Toby, Buff, Stu and Bogo at the moment. Can't trade them all I guess. :sarcasm:

To think we could have AP at the moment. Oh well.

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014
I'm feeling good about this one. Cut out (or at least cut down) the stupid penalties and the Jets can handle the Flames 5 vs 5. Pavs starting this one with Hutch playing Vancouver and Chicago would be my preference but as long as they split the b2b I'll be happy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yup, that was a horrible penalty by Stuart and he deserved to go to the box. Stuart has not looked too good since returning from injury. I am not sold on him for the PK but coach knows best.

I don't think it's been limited to just that time span personally.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I've been on record as saying Toby has struggled, and he'd be the guy I would move in a deal.

I'm a bit sour on Toby, Buff, Stu and Bogo at the moment. Can't trade them all I guess. :sarcasm:

Toby has struggled?

Bogosian, Enstrom and Byfuglien are all having career years. You could even argue Stuart, although I think he's largely benefiting from playing beside Trouba.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Since he returned from injury? Before he got hurt he was our best defenseman by a pretty good margin, arguably our best player even.

Since that time some guy named Buff has played pretty incredible hockey.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It takes two to tangle and Little could of easily skated away and kept the play going. Instead he engaged, and we all know what the end result was.

Stars agitated and sucked them in. Hook, line, and sinker. Maurice tried to dummy up Bogo with a benching, but unfortunately the msg didn't get through to Bogo or the rest of the team.

They were frustrated, and played so. Maurice's real coaching challenge will be to calm the room down before this game. This game has the potential to be really frustrating for them also.

It's hard to tango when you are tangled.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Toby has struggled?

Bogosian, Enstrom and Byfuglien are all having career years. You could even argue Stuart, although I think he's largely benefiting from playing beside Trouba.

Has anyone noticed how badly the team has been structurally since Buff has been on D? Teams get far greater scoring chances, and our forward group isn't able to get into any rhythm. When we had leads before Buff was on D, we held, playing Trouba and Bogo's lines and they were able to consistenly stop the puck and move it out. Not the case with Buff, how much longer will people be blinded by his flash in the offensive zone? if this team wants to make the playoffs PoMo is going to have to make the right move here and go with the steady solid defenders.

First star of the week in the NHL... are you kidding? Thats based strictly on points scored.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Has anyone noticed how badly the team has been structurally since Buff has been on D? Teams get far greater scoring chances, and our forward group isn't able to get into any rhythm. When we had leads before Buff was on D, we held, playing Trouba and Bogo's lines and they were able to consistenly stop the puck and move it out. Not the case with Buff, how much longer will people be blinded by his flash in the offensive zone? if this team wants to make the playoffs PoMo is going to have to make the right move here and go with the steady solid defenders.

First star of the week in the NHL... are you kidding? Thats based strictly on points scored.

You are wrong. Buff plays against the best players. Buff moves the play forward like few others. He's better in his own end than Stuart, Harrison, Chiarot, Pardy, Postma and Bogo. He outscores all those guys as well, by a lot. He's probably on par with Trouba in his own end as well. Enstrom is the only D-man clearly better than Buff in his own zone.

How do you think players create offense? By making plays the other team can't stop. Occasionally the other team do their job and force Buff to make a turnover. Pay close attention next game to how often Buff has the puck. Pay attention to how many times Buff easily makes a play that ends up in transition out of the d-zone.

I honestly have no idea what someone could be watching to believe Buff is a net negative on defense.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I don't think Adrian Peterson is going to help the Jets Bob. :naughty:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
You are wrong. Buff plays against the best players. Buff moves the play forward like few others. He's better in his own end than Stuart, Harrison, Chiarot, Pardy, Postma and Bogo. He outscores all those guys as well, by a lot. He's probably on par with Trouba in his own end as well. Enstrom is the only D-man clearly better than Buff in his own zone.

How do you think players create offense? By making plays the other team can't stop. Occasionally the other team do their job and force Buff to make a turnover. Pay close attention next game to how often Buff has the puck. Pay attention to how many times Buff easily makes a play that ends up in transition out of the d-zone.

I honestly have no idea what someone could be watching to believe Buff is a net negative on defense.

not to mention his turnover rate is way down - both the official crappy NHL giveaway stat and Max's infinitely better/personally tracked one.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Yea we were sure crappy when our top 4 were out & it was the Buff show on defense right?:naughty:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-300x162.jpg

Coach Maurice scrum: After a night to digest the game, what are his reflections? Was it simply a difference in special teams? Did he like his team’s energy? Any correlation between the All-Star break and the losing streak. Unleashing the fury in the 1st period. Is parking people on the bench a good way to curb selfish penalties? On Bogosian taking full responsibility for his mistake. Can they use this game as a springboard? Did he look at Byfuglien’s fake bite? How did the Jets end up with a 5 on 3 against during the Byfuglien scrum. On guys making icing switches.

To listen click here.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Nope, haven't noticed that at all. I did notice that if it wasn't for him we would have been ****ed during the time our entire top 4 D were hurt.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
IMO regarding that all star break. Grand scheme of things if you will.
It feels to me like the team was playing and being able to focus solely on the games knowing the break was coming up. Getting to the break and getting time off and going on their trips and whatever would be their reward. Now that that's done, it's the long stretch of the 2nd half of the season that's staring them in the face. I think it's just a matter of time before they get refocused and back to the mindset of where they were before the break. Does that make sense? IDK it's like looking forward to something, then it's over, and getting refocused. It's the human element of this.

I'm not even mad. Yes they've lost the last 3 but they have been progressively getting back to the way they were playing together before the break. Each game has been better than the last. I think it'll be ok so long as they get back to the style of play sooner rather than later. It's too bad it wasn't as easy as flipping a switch, but it is what it is. They'll get back to where they were and hopefully remember and learn from this.

Beat Calgary and keep working at it. They know what works.

Also, now being free of the vCash burden feels great! Looking forward to tomorrows game and seeing more improvements. Feeling optimistic.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Made this post at the end of December

I want to agree, but sometimes hockey is weird. I bet we get blown out the first game we are 100% healthy

Just a matter of rediscovering the kind of play that got them through the toughest stretch of the season. Lost a game they should have won, lost a game they had no business winning, then lost a game where they lacked discipline. No more ways to lose games....

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I think it has more to do with the return of Stu.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I've said it before, but I really do believe Buff and the way he plays ripples through the defense. Everyone seems to play a looser game with less attention to detail. If somehow Maurice can reign in Buff and get the rest of the defense to focus on defense first maybe we can hold things together. It just seems we are gradually drifting back to the previous carnations of the team. Including poor goaltending.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I've said it before, but I really do believe Buff and the way he plays ripples through the defense. Everyone seems to play a looser game with less attention to detail. If somehow Maurice can reign in Buff and get the rest of the defense to focus on defense first maybe we can hold things together. It just seems we are gradually drifting back to the previous carnations of the team. Including poor goaltending.

This has only been happening recently and Buff has been back on D for a few months now so I don't think that's it. They were playing fine when our original top 4 had gotten injured.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff is truly a great rush player, great when his team is rushing, and great and breaking up rushes. Once the other team gets the puck and has it in our zone, Buff leaves space, and a lot of space. Our team save % has dropped since he's been back there. The overall team defensive structure has been shakey ever since he's been on D. Before all of our injury trouble the team was playing great, structured hockey. The ability to stretch a player at times and force a balanced attack. When the D corp were decimated all the forwards were commited to playing low, and often a forward would track behind the net low to help the D. When Buff is on the ice watch the forwards continue to do this, forwards never stretch and it's totally different when guys like Bogo and Trouba are out there... When Buff is out there he takes valued structural minutes away from Troubes and Bogo. Not to mention that Buff IS a force on forward. I can't see how you guys can't see the clear cut difference in all around team play. We were working teams beforehand! We went on the run before the break but a lot of those games we had no business winning.

When the Flames make Buff look bad(hard working team) then moving buff to forward will be a more talked about option.

The idea of having Postma-who's played great, and has surpassed expectations to date- back in the line up playing with Chariot is a much more solid option.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This has only been happening recently and Buff has been back on D for a few months now so I don't think that's it. They were playing fine when our original top 4 had gotten injured.

IMO that's because the replacements across the board lacked skill and had no choice but pay strict adherence to the system Maurice had put in place. But now that guys with skill are back in the lineup there is gradually less adherence to the boring keep everything to the outside system. There is far more risky pinches, poorly planed offensive pushes and players drifting open in the defensive zone. I'm not blaming Buff, though he has been much looser in his game recently. I see just a gradual shift back to the defensive type game we played in past seasons.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Toby has struggled? He's #39, little guy, I think you may have him confused with #5?

Struggled with positioning in our zone. Out of position more than normal. Maybe that's playing with Bogo, but he's been average at best, IMO.

Moves the puck well, always has. But watch video of him in our zone. You might see him 'running around' more than usual.

So, IMO, he's been less effective than he typically is.

Stu is just frustrating to watch. Always wants to stand up at the blue line and teams just move the puck around him. Caught in no mans land constantly. For each time that strategy works, he gives up odd man attacks three fold. Jets were better defensively when he was out. Trouba bails him out constantly.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Buff is truly a great rush player, great when his team is rushing, and great and breaking up rushes. Once the other team gets the puck and has it in our zone, Buff leaves space, and a lot of space. Our team save % has dropped since he's been back there. The overall team defensive structure has been shakey ever since he's been on D. Before all of our injury trouble the team was playing great, structured hockey. The ability to stretch a player at times and force a balanced attack. When the D corp were decimated all the forwards were commited to playing low, and often a forward would track behind the net low to help the D. When Buff is on the ice watch the forwards continue to do this, forwards never stretch and it's totally different when guys like Bogo and Trouba are out there... When Buff is out there he takes valued structural minutes away from Troubes and Bogo. Not to mention that Buff IS a force on forward. I can't see how you guys can't see the clear cut difference in all around team play. We were working teams beforehand! We went on the run before the break but a lot of those games we had no business winning.

When the Flames make Buff look bad(hard working team) then moving buff to forward will be a more talked about option.

The idea of having Postma-who's played great, and has surpassed expectations to date- back in the line up playing with Chariot is a much more solid option.

HP, I'm buying what you're selling.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

So pretty much everything is Buffs fault. Makes sense. Postma is a better option.

heard it here on hfjets, Postma is a better defenseman than Dustin Byfuglien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad