Post-Game Talk: Winnipeg Jets win in season finale [asterisk]

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
That would assume that 100 per cent of the population gets it (and I've heard about 1.6 per cent, not 3 per cent... but whatever. Can't live in fear, only wait it out and do the best we can).
The most recent "worst case" scenario (which means it might not happen, but it is absolutely feasible) is that between 30% and 70% of Canadians contract the virus.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kyle Connor continues to impress. He’s so damn good. How did we get him at pick 17 or whatever ?
Do you think he becomes a 50 goal man? I mean if he stayed hot he could do it this year but do you see him perennially challenging that mark? I feel like as long as he stays healthy he can - but so much of his game relies on speed and agility I don't think age will be kind to him.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The NHL can stop play for almost a month and still get this season and playoffs in . You start later next season and only play 3 pre-season games instead of 7 or 8 . Also could cut next season's regular season games to 70 or 75 instead of 82 . There are ways of getting this season done right i think . :dunno:

Reactions: macmaroon

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Do you think he becomes a 50 goal man? I mean if he stayed hot he could do it this year but do you see him perennially challenging that mark? I feel like as long as he stays healthy he can - but so much of his game relies on speed and agility I don't think age will be kind to him.
If he stays hot he could get there this year, but I personally think he ends up in the mid 40s. But he’s definitely a threat to hit 50 in future seasons.

Reactions: Jet

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The most recent "worst case" scenario (which means it might not happen, but it is absolutely feasible) is that between 30% and 70% of Canadians contract the virus.
That I heard. Almost everybody gets sick, then recover and resume their day-to-day lives. A very small portion will pass away. Two young people in this province (a kid and a young woman) died from the normal flu this year. The saving grace of the corona virus is that it spares the kids.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The NHL can stop play for almost a month and still get this season and playoffs in . You start later next season and only play 3 pre-season games instead of 7 or 8 . Also could cut next season's regular season games to 70 or 75 instead of 82 . There are ways of getting this season done right i think . :dunno:
Maybe a "March Madness" tournament style playoffs with one game knockouts.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That would assume that 100 per cent of the population gets it (and I've heard about 1.6 per cent, not 3 per cent... but whatever. Can't live in fear, only wait it out and do the best we can).
Official mortality rate estimate is 3.4% right now from the WHO.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So where does this Corona Virus thing all end ??

Do we close down Walmart, Home Depot, and all public places ?

Aren't we making a mountain out of a mole hill ?? -- or is this virus that serious. I doubt there's been any deaths in Canada. I think reason has to prevail here. :dunno:

Maybe this will be deemed an insensitive comment ??
Better to be over-cautious and keep it under control than to be under-cautious and only take action when it can't be controlled anymore.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

For every corona virus death--I'd bet their is 10 people that die in a car accident -- "minimum."
Not really.

In US - per year:

~ 30k car accident deaths
12k - 61k influenza deaths (influenza strain dependent)
Coronavirus - estimated to be 10x higher mortality rate than influenza. If so more than 120k deaths should be expected. To Be Determined

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Official mortality rate estimate is 3.4% right now from the WHO.
I see that. So all people with the coronavirus have a 96.5 per cent survival rate. Of course, this can be broken down further by age group:

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

AGEDEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old21.9%14.8%
70-79 years old8.0%
60-69 years old3.6%
50-59 years old1.3%
40-49 years old0.4%
30-39 years old0.2%
20-29 years old0.2%
10-19 years old0.2%
0-9 years oldno fatalities
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I just had two nasty battles with bronchitis and some virus within two weeks of each other. The second bug I am still feeling the effects of nearly 4 weeks after (joint pain, caugh, exhausted from standing) today was my best day in over a month. Seemed to have righted the ship

must admit I am a little concerned about catching this one before I'm fully recovered.

Depending on where you live and if you have done any recent travel before getting sick, you should check if you actually had Coronavirus. Some of the symptoms match and many health experts have stated that it has been circulating for a while and many people have actually had it thinking that it was just a cold or flu.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
If the season stops and they resume with the playoffs based on points percentage, the Jets miss out by .001 to Calgary, who the Jets would've played Saturday

I'd assume the league would even up the number of games for all the teams before they would do playoffs. With the Jets 2 games up on Nashville, Minnesota and Vancouver, that doesn't look too promising either.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That I heard. Almost everybody gets sick, then recover and resume their day-to-day lives. A very small portion will pass away. Two young people in this province (a kid and a young woman) died from the normal flu this year. The saving grace of the corona virus is that it spares the kids.
Right now in Italy the case fatality rate is over 6.5% - partly because their medical system is completely overwhelmed in the outbreak areas.

In terms of impact on the medical system, 15%-20% of confirmed cases require hospitalization. 5%-10% of those require ICU. 1% require mechanical ventilation. The entire city of Winnipeg has 58 ICU beds. So, assuming there are zero ICU beds being used for people suffering different afflictions, 1,160 concurrent cases of COVID-19 in Winnipeg would use up every single one.

Italy had less than 100 cases on February 22. Today they have over 12,000. Exponential growth is terrifying. Everyone should be extremely concerned about this. We can avoid Italy's fate if we act now to shut down everything we can. No travel, no gatherings, work from home - all the social distancing stuff. The COVID cat is out of the bag - we can't stop it. But if we can slow it down so our system doesn't get crushed by it, we can save a lot of lives.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good goalie vs bad goalie. Predictable result.

It was funny. Jets dominated the game early. Got lots of shots on Smith. Oilers gradually took over the play. Smith wasn't getting many shots. Those that he did get started going in. He seems to thrive on being kept busy. So the book on him is to lull him to sleep. :laugh:

Reactions: AKAChip

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Italy had less than 100 cases on February 22. Today they have over 12,000. Exponential growth is terrifying. Everyone should be extremely concerned about this. We can avoid Italy's fate if we act now to shut down everything we can. No travel, no gatherings, work from home - all the social distancing stuff. The COVID cat is out of the bag - we can't stop it. But if we can slow it down so our system doesn't get crushed by it, we can save a lot of lives.
eacf4cec5b4759d759988d0a06766745.gif

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I don't want to be alarmist, because like most or all of you, I'm not a doctor, but let's look at the statement "A very small portion will pass away."

If we assume the least bad forecast, that "only" 30% of Canadians get COVID-19, and if "only" 1% actually pass away (which is less than the forecasted percentage), that's 105,000 Canadians.

That doesn't sound like a "very small portion" to me.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wild proposal: cancel the remainder of the regular season and all 31 teams qualify for the playoffs. Seed by points per game, top seed gets a first round bye.

When do you plan on doing this?

Start June 1. Need 5 rounds. That is up to 35 games. Finish in mid Aug. Start TC in 2 weeks.

Make the first 3 rds best of 5 gets down to 29 games. Finish end of July. Might be doable. IF restrictions can be lifted by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad