Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Great win, back in the playoffs, now to just survive the corona
4hBNzus.jpg
:laugh:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
What a great game by the Jets! If it was the last game of the season, then we finished with a bang.

As for all the hot takes and downplaying of the significance of the Corona virus, I find it rather distasteful and immature to spread alternate facts about it, since truth is that little is yet known about it, but it is for certain a serious global threat right now. It doesn't matter what age group that are in most danger of it, any loss of life because of governments and citizens failing to take simple steps of action to reduce the spread is unacceptable.

Comparing this virus outbreak to traffic accidents or WW2 makes no sense. A disaster is a disaster, and the fact that other disasters have happened before it – bigger or smaller – does not make it less significant. We are dealing with a global outbreak of a virus that on a large scale will kill parts of our population, and cause much suffering and chaos. People not taking it seriously enough and thus not caring about taking steps to prevent the spreading of it seems to be the biggest challenge IMO.

Take care and be thoughtful of each other, peace

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
A very bittersweet feeling this morning.

In a season where everything seemed to work against us, a buff holdout along with some bazaar injuries and circumstances, this team has endured and overcome.

Now this.

I really do not see any other option than to suspend the season. You will literally need to quarantine the entire league for a month, test and confirm players and all that come in touch with players corona free, then open the league to closed arena play.

But the fact that the virus is extremely contagious, my above statement is most likely impossible unless the teams completely isolate themselves from everyone around them, like living out of the arenas full time.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
What a great game by the Jets! If it was the last game of the season, then we finished with a bang.

As for all the hot takes and downplaying of the significance of the Corona virus, I find it rather distasteful and immature to spread alternate facts about it, since truth is that little is yet known about it, but it is for certain a serious global threat right now. It doesn't matter what age group that are in most danger of it, any loss of life because of governments and citizens failing to take simple steps of action to reduce the spread is unacceptable.

Comparing this virus outbreak to traffic accidents or WW2 makes no sense. A disaster is a disaster, and the fact that other disasters have happened before it – bigger or smaller – does not make it less significant. We are dealing with a global outbreak of a virus that on a large scale will kill parts of our population, and cause much suffering and chaos. People not taking it seriously enough and thus not caring about taking steps to prevent the spreading of it seems to be the biggest challenge IMO.

Spot on!!!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Good post , the problem is people need to use commen sense , if you don't feel well or have a cold , stay home . Don't go out coughing and sneezing everywhere . I like humor and it helps get through tough times so this is my plan , who's in . :naughty:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A very bittersweet feeling this morning.

In a season where everything seemed to work against us, a buff holdout along with some bazaar injuries and circumstances, this team has endured and overcome.

Now this.

I really do not see any other option than to suspend the season. You will literally need to quarantine the entire league for a month, test and confirm players and all that come in touch with players corona free, then open the league to closed arena play.

But the fact that the virus is extremely contagious, my above statement is most likely impossible unless the teams completely isolate themselves from everyone around them, like living out of the arenas full time.
Agreed , they might put everything on hiatus for 2 weeks and see then how everything is looking after that but they aren't going to say as of today this is the playoff teams . Too many games left in season and too many teams can still make and fall out of the playoffs .

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Can’t they resume the season in the summer and give the players a shorter break before next season? It’s not like season is outside.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So where does this Corona Virus thing all end ??

Do we close down Walmart, Home Depot, and all public places ?

Aren't we making a mountain out of a mole hill ?? -- or is this virus that serious. I doubt there's been any deaths in Canada. I think reason has to prevail here. :dunno:

Maybe this will be deemed an insensitive comment ??
According to conservative estimates, 700,000 people could die in the US. Applying that formula to Canada, you could see 70,000 deaths. If the spread is larger than the low estimate (which is likely due to lack of cogent response and testing) the amount of people who get it could overwhelm the medical system (manpower and equipment like oxygen and ventilators) and that death toll could spike.

Anyone in Italy who has underlying morbity conditions were not even being intubated, they were basically left to die to save the equipment for healthier people. Canada and the US have more equipment per capita than Italy, but at some point decisions have to be made.

You might want to research a bit more about what's been happening with COVID-19

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
According to conservative estimates, 700,000 people could die in the US. Applying that formula to Canada, you could see 70,000 deaths. If the spread is larger than the low estimate (which is likely due to lack of cogent response and testing) the amount of people who get it could overwhelm the medical system (manpower and equipment like oxygen and ventilators) and that death toll could spike.

Anyone in Italy who has underlying morbity conditions were not even being intubated, they were basically left to die to save the equipment for healthier people. Canada and the US have more equipment per capita than Italy, but at some point decisions have to be made.

Yikes! Here's hoping that we are able to acquire more equipment to prevent that from happening. :(

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I feel bad for Edmonton. All that city has going for it is the occasional hockey win, and we took that away from them until next season.

Reactions: larmex99

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

If I were a gambler, I'd take the under on your conservative estimates.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If the season stops and they resume with the playoffs based on points percentage, the Jets miss out by .001 to Calgary, who the Jets would've played Saturday
I’d hope they’d have a play-in game.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Well, they aren't MY estimates - and it's fair to note that no one knows for sure what is going to happen. At any rate - I shouldn't have responded to the OP as this is the PGT for our big win last night :)
Well, in fairness it was you who applied the formula to Canada.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, in fairness it was you who applied the formula to Canada.
Canada is closely aligned to US in terms of region and social infrastructure.

Actually, Canada could be worse as the health care system is already taxed (over utilized) and it's colder, longer, which will help foster the spread. What is going for Canada is remoteness and the Government probably having it's shit together more than the US.

Here is where I based my potential argument:

Marc Lipsitch, a Harvard University epidemiologist, told CBS News on Monday that based on mathematical models, it's projected that 40% to 70% of the world’s population could get infected. He said he thinks that projection is likely to become a reality.

Using the low end of this, 150MM Americans could contract it, and 5% is 750,000 which is the death rate.

Again, this could all blow over - not enough is known about all the different impactors that could affect this number.

My first post was simply responding to the notion that it's no big deal. Billion dollar industries don't shut down operations for no big deal - think of it that way.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad