Post-Game Talk: Winnipeg Jets win in season finale [asterisk]

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So, Canada's population is ~ 38,000,000.
Let's say 50% contract the virus.
At 3.4% mortality, that is 646,000 deaths.
Wilcard of course is age and other factors - approximately 8,000,000 of the total population are over 65 years.
Either way, that's a lot of deaths.

The social distancing that is happening with cancellations everywhere (Major league sports, concerts, Junos, and I'd expect that bars, lounges, and resturants shutter at some point too), and work from home initiatives will greatly reduce this number IMO.

Sorry to hijack the PGT...
This thread is at least half COVID-19 releated, so I don't think you're hijacking it...

To put 646,000 deaths in perspective, that's more than double the number of total deaths in Canada in a single year. Even at 1% CFR and 50% infected drawn out over the course of a full calendar year is an additional 190,000. These numbers are hard to wrap your head around...

Reactions: Jet and Ginger Papa

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Depends on the demographic you're testing, I suppose. Also, the numbers are skewed because of the lack of testing. The mortality rate is based on confirmed cases. There could be a lot more people with the virus (that's probably very likely), which if they were all confirmed would drive the mortality rate down a lot.

There are some beneficial spin-offs as well, at least in the short term. The environment is a huge winner, particularly air quality. The habit of hand washing could become habit forming, and help curb future outbreaks of any flu - especially this year. The world will also learn a lot of important lessons, based on how they manage this, which could prove extremely valuable down the road for a variety of reasons. Finally, for those with money to invest, you can make a killing on the stock market by buying low, cuz the stocks always rebound (and then some).

And the sun intensity - UV light kills virus’ and bacterium most excellently. Spring is our friend and won’t solve it, but will help a lot. Also not confined in enclosed ventilation systems most of us - again the infirm are most at risk.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, Canada's population is ~ 38,000,000.
Let's say 50% contract the virus.
At 3.4% mortality, that is 646,000 deaths.
Wilcard of course is age and other factors - approximately 8,000,000 of the total population are over 65 years.
Either way, that's a lot of deaths.

The social distancing that is happening with cancellations everywhere (Major league sports, concerts, Junos, and I'd expect that bars, lounges, and resturants shutter at some point too), and work from home initiatives will greatly reduce this number IMO.

Sorry to hijack the PGT...
The mortality rate won't be anywhere near 3.4% if the total number affected reaches 50% of the population. To infect 50% of the population would mean that a very large percentage of those infected would be young, where the mortality rate would be quite low. Also, current estimates of mortality are still much higher than actual because many of the mild cases aren't being detected due to limited diagnostic testing.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
The mortality rate won't be anywhere near 3.4% if the total number affected reaches 50% of the population. To infect 50% of the population would mean that a very large percentage of those infected would be young, where the mortality rate would be quite low. Also, current estimates of mortality are still much higher than actual because many of the mild cases aren't being detected due to limited diagnostic testing.

This.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Even 1% is an order of magnitude more deadly than the flu. And 1% is wishful thinking if the system gets swamped. Slowing down the rate of infection is our best bet to save the most lives.

Nov 24, 2006
I was just crunching some absolute numbers. No way 646,000 Canadians die.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Lowry’s line doesn’t really work as a shutdown line, and Roslovic brings nothing to it. Maybe try Perreault or Shore there?

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I’ll put the over/under at 57000

Whaaa...? This developing argument is rapidly entering the realm of the macabre/morose.

This is a job for Comic Relief Man!

<<Injects comic relief>>

giphy.gif

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Mo is married to the idea of that Lowry shutdown line. Nothing will change anytime soon...

lol

Mo is back to his ultimate line up of CSW playing 25 minutes, followed by Lowry line playing 15 minutes and then you have E-x-L with similar minutes and 4th line doing whatever it is a 4th line does under Mo. :laugh:

It has worked for now, but is that because Mo optimized the lines or because the line up is more healthy + we have DeMelo? At this point of the season (if it will resume at some point) it hardly seems worthy of complaining - I mean that 3rd line of Ehlers-Eakin-Laine has looked good and got good results, CSW for the most part is doing a lot better than last season and Jets are winning games - whatever it takes to get and stay over the line. Still, it's a pretty good showing of what Maurice will do when push comes to shove - he will simply fall back on over using his favourites. He's not a coach that will keep looking to improve and I'm not sure in the modern league it's possible for Jets to have such a strong line up that they can afford to just roll with routine.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah, my comment was really sort of a joke though. Discussions about line-ups are pretty silly at this point. It's highly unlikely there's anything left of this season...

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
Mo is married to the idea of that Lowry shutdown line. Nothing will change anytime soon...

lol
And that's why our 3rd line Ehlers - Eakin - Laine plays 12 mins per game.

Laine's next contract will be interesting. I guess it will be someting like 2 x 7,5M and then UFA.

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
yeah, my comment was really sort of a joke though. Discussions about line-ups are pretty silly at this point. It's highly unlikely there's anything left of this season...
I don't think it's silly. Mo's recent line use behavior gives signal for the future and I don't think it's healty. Ehlers has been in the doghouse almost whole season and now Laine has demoted from the 1st line to the 3rd line while playing good 200 ft game almost whole season. That doesn't give great signal to the player.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Doesn't know what goalie coach does.

Jets have the best goalie in the NHL.

Hey, Jets should fire the goalie coach because, well, just because...
And if there's one person we want to be in charge of firing people, it's the person who doesn't even know what they do.

Wade Flaherty's sin, it seems, is that when the Jets didn't have good goalies...their goalies weren't good.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
And if there's one person we want to be in charge of firing people, it's the person who doesn't even know what they do.

Wade Flaherty's sin, it seems, is that when the Jets didn't have good goalies...their goalies weren't good.

I thought it was that aside from Hellebuck (an outstanding talent with his own private "Sports Performance Coach")
every single Goalie under Flaherty's tutelage has regressed, or at the very least been stagnant.

I'm still not sure Wade is very good at his job.but at the moment I think a change like that is not in the teams best interest......however I too am unsure what it is he brings to the table....

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think it's silly. Mo's recent line use behavior gives signal for the future and I don't think it's healty. Ehlers has been in the doghouse almost whole season and now Laine has demoted from the 1st line to the 3rd line while playing good 200 ft game almost whole season. That doesn't give great signal to the player.

yeah, I'm just not gonna worry about it till training camp next season...since that's the next time we're going to be seeing any pro hockey action.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought it was that aside from Hellebuck (an outstanding talent with his own private "Sports Performance Coach")
every single Goalie under Flaherty's tutelage has regressed, or at the very least been stagnant.

I'm still not sure Wade is very good at his job.but at the moment I think a change like that is not in the teams best interest......however I too am unsure what it is he brings to the table....
Can you substantiate this with evidence?

Hutch was at his best with the Jets. Same with Brossoit.

Hellebuyck has become the best goalie in the NHL. At the very least, Flaherty hasn't been hindering performance.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Can you substantiate this with evidence?

Hutch was at his best with the Jets. Same with Brossoit.

Hellebuyck has become the best goalie in the NHL. At the very least, Flaherty hasn't been hindering performance.

um yeah I can. Under Flaherty all of our goalies other than Helle regressed or stagnated. Pavelec never grew, never changed, never showed any significant development over his long tenure here....I place that on the coach. I'm not expecting miracles...but I'd like to have seen some form of development.

Even Helle had started to slide and changed his management and started to work with Adam Francilia at which point he began his accent to his perennial Veznia candidate status we have today...what more do I need to say?

If you are a coach and the very people you are responsible for coaching have to go pay out of pocket for another man to do your job.....What exactly is it that you bring to the table?

Hutch was a flash in the pan who I might add began to decline as he was working with Flats. Broissoit is Helle's training partner, another client of Adam Francilia .

So BOTH WINNIPEG GOALIES ARE PAYING PERSONAL MONEY FOR A PRIVATE GOALIE COACH.... not exactly a ringing endorsement of Flats.

I don't consider this the same as Schief using Roberts or Adam Oats....because the coaches and trainers are responsible for 20+ other players as well and cannot drill down on one guy to the extent maybe a guy like Schief wants/needs....Flats has what 4 guys at max to focus on in both teams and Two guys who who he's supposed to focus 80-90% on......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad