Winnipeg Jets select D Luke Green (3/79)

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I like to keep my eye on my Nova Scotian prospects, so I watched Green quite a bit this season, and I think you guys will love him. He's always had tons of offensive skill, and has always been a tremendous skater, but this year he really rounded out his game.

And remember that he was playing for a Saint John team that was absolutely stacked on D, with a pair of 2015 1st round picks in Jakub Zboril and Thomas Chabot and overager Matt Murphy. On any other team in the Q he would've gotten a lot more ice-time and his numbers would've been a lot more impressive. Expect him to break out next year.

Overall, I see him becoming a second pairing type, who is capable of running your powerplay. Great value pick for the third round, and you can rest easy knowing that's he's being developed by a great organization in Saint John.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I like to keep my eye on my Nova Scotian prospects, so I watched Green quite a bit this season, and I think you guys will love him. He's always had tons of offensive skill, and has always been a tremendous skater, but this year he really rounded out his game.

And remember that he was playing for a Saint John team that was absolutely stacked on D, with a pair of 2015 1st round picks in Jakub Zboril and Thomas Chabot and overager Matt Murphy. On any other team in the Q he would've gotten a lot more ice-time and his numbers would've been a lot more impressive. Expect him to break out next year.

Overall, I see him becoming a second pairing type, who is capable of running your powerplay. Great value pick for the third round, and you can rest easy knowing that's he's being developed by a great organization in Saint John.

Thanks for the post, this is what makes me generally optimistic about the pick.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
He is great. Was a little sloppy at the start of the season for SJ, but rebounded pretty quickly. Very sneaky offensive talent. He is due for a breakout season, especially with losing Murphy.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Meant to include this in my previous post:

If you're looking for more video of him next season, John Moore's youtube channel is a good place to go.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Great pick. Guy I've had my eye on since January. Wouldn't have been mad at with him at 36. Hell I like him more then Stanley

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Great pick. Guy I've had my eye on since January. Wouldn't have been mad at with him at 36. Hell I like him more then Stanley

Maybe we see a Stanley - Green pairing at dev camp?

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Pronman

63. Luke Green, D, Saint John (QMJHL)
DOB: 1/12/98 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 188
GP: 61 | G: 10 | A: 25

The first overall pick in the 2014 QMJHL draft, Green has been a quality part of the top-four rotation for Saint John the last two seasons. He hasn't been spectacular, though, with just flashes of top-end play. He's a natural offensive player, with shifty feet and above-average puck skills. He can join a rush very effectively, and shows good overall offensive creativity and instincts. Green struggled at times with his decision-making at both ends this season, coming along better in the second half. He's not a top defender, but he was capable in the Q this season, exhibiting fine work ethic even if the technical side of his game needs work.

Man that reminds me a lot of Postma. Hopefully he doesn't end up like him though....

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Everything I've been able to find on him has me very happy that we got him where we did. It will be fun to watch his progress moving forward.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I read an article that stated he worked hard on the defensive side of the blue line this season. An attempt to be a more rounded blue liner may have cut down his growth on goals and assists. I have a lot of hope for him based on what I've read.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
This guy will be a top 4 D-man, I just got a gut feeling about him. A 15G 20A guy.

That is a guy playing top pairing with your number 1 defenseman, not a top 4.

And IMO Green has a very good chance at reaching it. If I could bet on his point next year, I would say he will get a total of 60 points, 17 goals 43 assists.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Great pick at #79; that's more like it, Jets.
Will break out when the strong D in front of him clear out.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
So what do you think of maybe being the next Andrew Ladd, Mr. Green? You're wearing his old number!
RRg2VZK.png

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So what do you think of maybe being the next Andrew Ladd, Mr. Green? You're wearing his old number!
RRg2VZK.png

He's a D...and a very smooth skating D.

He was criticized for his in-zone play as a 16, so he spent the offseason working on improving it. He also didn't get a lot of PP time as Saint John had 8 FW playing on the PP (and Chabot/Zboril/Murphy/Green for D).

I wonder if Winnipeg would invite his brother Matt to development camp?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad