Winnipeg Jets select D Luke Green (3/79)

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I just watched a bunch of Green's highlights again an I'm now very excited about this kid. He has better hands than most forwards at his age. :yo:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We just need to hit on one of Niku, Green, Kostalic, or Stanley. If any one of those 4 can crack our top 4 one day we are set. How does Calgary do it? Brodie in the 4th, Johnny hockey 4th, Gio undtafted.

A bit more luck please :laugh:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
We just need to hit on one of Niku, Green, Kostalic, or Stanley. If any one of those 4 can crack our top 4 one day we are set. How does Calgary do it? Brodie in the 4th, Johnny hockey 4th, Gio undtafted.

The numbers would say grabbing Anderson and Kylington are probably evidence of a bit more weight on more reliable dman analysis methods

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

I hope Stanley can come back from injury and have a lengthy career. Kostalek is a career AHLer

Whileee

May 29, 2010

The numbers would say grabbing Anderson and Kylington are probably evidence of a bit more weight on more reliable dman analysis methods

Meh...

Nemisz
Erixon
Wotherspoon
Jankowski
Sieloff
Poirier
Kanzig

Flames have plenty of duds, including a number from the 1st round. Every team has draft skeletons. I'd rather consistently nail the higher picks than rely on lucky late-round jackpots.

A few low-scoring big D in the first 2 or 3 rounds in their closet, too.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Meh...

Nemisz
Erixon
Wotherspoon
Jankowski
Sieloff
Poirier
Kanzig

Flames have plenty of duds, including a number from the 1st round. Every team has draft skeletons. I'd rather consistently nail the higher picks than rely on lucky late-round jackpots.

Just saying those were good picks. Lazy analysis I know :) ....But they were really good picks!

To stay on topic. If we drafted one or two Green clones outside of the first round every draft I would be very happy

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I am equally excited for signing Beauvillier solely because an old version of EA nhL(11?12?) Really liked him and he always panned out. #seriousanalysis

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Meh...

Nemisz
Erixon
Wotherspoon
Jankowski
Sieloff
Poirier
Kanzig

I do know the team changed their drafting strategy the year of Gaudreau. They talked about how they would not have drafted him the year prior by their previous methods in evaluation.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I do know the team changed their drafting strategy the year of Gaudreau. They talked about how they would not have drafted him the year prior by their previous methods in evaluation.

They drafted a 12 point big D before Gaudreau. Let's face it, they took a flyer on him. Maybe they wouldn't have even taken a flyer on him before, but it's not like they accurately assessed his future potential.

The new drafting method selected Kanzig (6'7", 7 assists) and 6'6" Hunter Smith quite a bit higher than Gaudreau in subsequent drafts.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am equally excited for signing Beauvillier solely because an old version of EA nhL(11?12?) Really liked him and he always panned out. #seriousanalysis

Hah, I can't remember which year it was, but i'd always sim the first season whenever I started a franchise and trade away all the good players for draft picks or young guys.

I'd always pick up Andrei Kostitsyn because more often than not he'd go from a early 80's to ~95 and lead the league in points :laugh:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
We don't seem to see this arrangement very often. Wonder if Green pushed for an elc.

Lemieux sort of did the same, i believe. except he was eligible for the AHL the following year.
Morrissey did the same 2 years ago when he joined the Moose for the playoff run.
*edit* i don't remember if either were done with an ELC signed.

in the end, it's a no-brainer to do this with Green. win-win.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lemieux sort of did the same, i believe. except he was eligible for the AHL the following year.
Morrissey did the same 2 years ago when he joined the Moose for the playoff run.
*edit* i don't remember if either were done with an ELC signed.

in the end, it's a no-brainer to do this with Green. win-win.

Yup. It introduces him to the rigors of the pro game. That can only help his development.

I believe Harkins was also here on an ATO last year as well.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Was going to tack this onto the Stanley thread. Copied it here instead.

On a bit of a tangent, I thought at the time that I preferred Green to Stanley. Now I'm not so sure.

In D-1 he looked like a sure fire 1st round pick. 36 pts in 60 games is very good for a D man in D-1. In his draft year though, he had essentially the same production, 35 pts in 61 games. That would explain him still being available at 79. In his D+1 year he had the same production again. 37 pts in 60 games. Unless there is some explanation he appears to have plateaued in D-1. That is not good.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Was going to tack this onto the Stanley thread. Copied it here instead.

On a bit of a tangent, I thought at the time that I preferred Green to Stanley. Now I'm not so sure.

In D-1 he looked like a sure fire 1st round pick. 36 pts in 60 games is very good for a D man in D-1. In his draft year though, he had essentially the same production, 35 pts in 61 games. That would explain him still being available at 79. In his D+1 year he had the same production again. 37 pts in 60 games. Unless there is some explanation he appears to have plateaued in D-1. That is not good.

Very worrying indeed. Did his team change drastically or something?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
He was buried on the 3rd pair some nights and it got worse after Chabot came back. I don't know if he was in the dog house or something but he was playing fewer minutes than rookies and mediocre undrafted guys. Numbers picked up drastically when he was moved to Sherbrooke.

Fortunately numbers aren't everything... but:

2015-16 with Saint John - 0.57 points per game
2016-17 with Saint John - 0.56 points per game
2016-17 with Sherbrooke - 0.67 points per game

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Very worrying indeed. Did his team change drastically or something?

He was traded mid season.

He was buried on the 3rd pair some nights and it got worse after Chabot came back. I don't know if he was in the dog house or something but he was playing fewer minutes than rookies and mediocre undrafted guys. Numbers picked up drastically when he was moved to Sherbrooke.

Fortunately numbers aren't everything... but:

2015-16 with Saint John - 0.57 points per game
2016-17 with Saint John - 0.56 points per game
2016-17 with Sherbrooke - 0.67 points per game

His production picked up sharply at first but then settled back down. Don't know if usage changed or not.

Bottom line is that his production has been stagnant for whatever reason. I'm not going to panic but it is discouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad