Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yes probably connected to Beaulieu returning. That has nothing to do with having sat Heinola in the PB for 5 games. Schilling could sit in the PB.

Schilling is injured, IIRC. Though on many nights the PB would arguably be the best place for him, in either league.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Schilling is injured, IIRC. Though on many nights the PB would arguably be the best place for him, in either league.

Not listed as injured on CF but they don't do that for non-roster players. Whoever was playing for the Moose and would have been bumped by Heinola then. Take your pick.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes probably connected to Beaulieu returning. That has nothing to do with having sat Heinola in the PB for 5 games. Schilling could sit in the PB.
I don't think the kid or organization think it is a waste. The NHL pay checks are most likely seen as a huge favour for a young player trying to gain a financial toe hold in a new country. He has now made twice the salary in a month in the NHL that he would have made in an entire season in the AHL. He got to play in games and he got to watch a couple games. Now he goes down to develop with that experience under his belt. How the Jets treated him has likely gone a long way in cementing loyalty to his new organization.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
For a good stretch of the season last year he was leading his team in points before falling off a bit, I guess I was just hoping that he'd come back to his early season point getting form but you're right that 5 in 8 isn't bad, and it's nice to hear the positive review from @Daximus as well!
Always gives me a bit of a head-shake when peoples believe a particular player, especially with prospects scoring numbers drop off early in a season compared to previous one, for defenseman for sure, in jumping to conclusions they are not worthy anymore, or falling off. Lots of things come into play in juniors for a player to excell numbers wise and to fall off for a while. Numbers are only one component to a players growth. New season team, teammates and locker-room cohesion can change drastically affecting individual success, too. As long as Vallati is playing well and playing hard, no worries this early.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Heinola being assigned to the Moose. Good decision.

Yah, the Moose are terrible defensively. Heinola to the rescue. Gotta be positive for the kid. His play shows he is NHL capable right now. The Jets could use him to be more successful, but...can't justify burning a year of his ELC for a desperate team need that now officially be without Big Buff until well into the new year ( if he comes back at all). Hopefully our mish-mash D can keep us afloat and then the horses upfront can outscore opponents consistently?
Hope abounds but a little more murky-drinking-water for my taste without Heinola in the mix.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yah, the Moose are terrible defensively. Heinola to the rescue. Gotta be positive for the kid. His play shows he is NHL capable right now. The Jets could use him to be more successful, but...can't justify burning a year of his ELC for a desperate team need that now officially be without Big Buff until well into the new year ( if he comes back at all). Hopefully our mish-mash D can keep us afloat and then the horses upfront can outscore opponents consistently?
Hope abounds but a little more murky-drinking-water for my taste without Heinola in the mix.
Just hope Heinola doesn’t get injured. Isn’t the A a more thuggish league?

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think the kid or organization think it is a waste. The NHL pay checks are most likely seen as a huge favour for a young player trying to gain a financial toe hold in a new country. He has now made twice the salary in a month in the NHL that he would have made in an entire season in the AHL. He got to play in games and he got to watch a couple games. Now he goes down to develop with that experience under his belt. How the Jets treated him has likely gone a long way in cementing loyalty to his new organization.

Keeping him on the Jets payroll for that time might have been a consideration but I don't think watching from the PB is any way to develop players. Players need to play.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That's why the Moose have their own thugs, to keep him safe. Someone goes after Heiny, Stanley will be there to punch him in the face, and that will really, really hurt. :sarcasm:

And Stanley's like Mr Tickle. He could probs punch an opposing player on the ice while still lounging in bed at home.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Keeping him on the Jets payroll for that time might have been a consideration but I don't think watching from the PB is any way to develop players. Players need to play.
I think it plays a role. 60-70 games in NA pro hockey is a good year anyway. Sitting a few to make an extra $100k doesn't hurt. Remember Connor spent the better part of a month in the PB in his rookie year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it plays a role. 60-70 games in NA pro hockey is a good year anyway. Sitting a few to make an extra $100k doesn't hurt. Remember Connor spent the better part of a month in the PB in his rookie year.

Nope, I don't remember that. In his rookie year KC played 76 games in the NHL + 4 in the AHL. Don't know where he would have found time to spend a month in the PB. The year before he played 20 NHL games and 52 in the AHL. There might have been time for a short stay in the PB there. Maybe you are thinking of that year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
But they don't need to play 82 to develop properly. For comparison Heinola has played 9 games so far, 8 with the Jets and 1 with the Moose. Samberg has played 6 with UMD who will max out in the 40 range. Baring injury Ville is likely to play 20-30 games more than Dylan this season especially if he is released to play in the WJC. But we expect them both to keep developing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But they don't need to play 82 to develop properly. For comparison Heinola has played 9 games so far, 8 with the Jets and 1 with the Moose. Samberg has played 6 with UMD who will max out in the 40 range. Baring injury Ville is likely to play 20-30 games more than Dylan this season especially if he is released to play in the WJC. But we expect them both to keep developing.
One difference is that college players have a lot more practice time. A busy NHL schedule often precludes practice time.

Reactions: voyageur

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Nope, I don't remember that. In his rookie year KC played 76 games in the NHL + 4 in the AHL. Don't know where he would have found time to spend a month in the PB. The year before he played 20 NHL games and 52 in the AHL. There might have been time for a short stay in the PB there. Maybe you are thinking of that year.

Yeah...first year, not "rookie" year. Lots of moaning around here about his PB time before being sent the Moose. It was well into December when he first played for the Moose and probably spent 10 games in the press box before being sent down. Seemed to coincide with 2 months of NHL salary. 3 of those 20 NHL games came at the end of the year, IIRC.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The comp to NCAA doesn't hold up. They don't play a lot of games but they practice a lot more instead. When a pro player isn't playing, he also isn't practicing all that much. The busy schedule and travel don't allow for a lot of practice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The comp to NCAA doesn't hold up. They don't play a lot of games but they practice a lot more instead. When a pro player isn't playing, he also isn't practicing all that much. The busy schedule and travel don't allow for a lot of practice.
Yup. Skating with 2 or 3 other players and working out and sitting in the press box for games is not nearly as good for development as a defined practice, work-out and game schedule in a top NCAA program.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I appreciate the practice piece but this is also offset by being on a professional roster and being with pros in team meetings etc. IMO there are benefits to different paths, but I also think teams don't believe it is necessary for young developing players to get into all 80 or so games at the professional level and that 65-70 games played (combined Jets and Moose) with 10-15 watching the NHL game from the PB might be a comfortable landing spot when developing 18-19 y/o outside of the CHL track. And as we discussed previously, TNSE seems to have developed a bit of a pattern of getting these young guys time on the roster and a few NHL pay checks to help them along financially.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I appreciate the practice piece but this is also offset by being on a professional roster and being with pros in team meetings etc. IMO there are benefits to different paths, but I also think teams don't believe it is necessary for young developing players to get into all 80 or so games at the professional level and that 65-70 games played (combined Jets and Moose) with 10-15 watching the NHL game from the PB might be a comfortable landing spot when developing 18-19 y/o outside of the CHL track. And as we discussed previously, TNSE seems to have developed a bit of a pattern of getting these young guys time on the roster and a few NHL pay checks to help them along financially.

Of course it isn't necessary for a young player to get into any specific magic number of games.

I'll stick to:
Playing/practicing good.
Sitting in press box bad.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Of course it isn't necessary for a young player to get into any specific magic number of games.

I'll stick to:
Playing/practicing good.
Sitting in press box bad.
IMO TNSE also finds benefit in allowing these young players a limited amount of games to be observed from the PB in a long season. I'd be curious how much coaching and film work goes along with it. So far it seems to be a pretty consistent practice by the Jets and one they will likely continue. Though I do believe it is to also help young players along financially with some NHL pay checks so as to make their transition to the pro game smother without the any financial worries.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IMO TNSE also finds benefit in allowing these young players a limited amount of games to be observed from the PB in a long season. I'd be curious how much coaching and film work goes along with it. So far it seems to be a pretty consistent practice by the Jets and one they will likely continue. Though I do believe it is to also help young players along financially with some NHL pay checks so as to make their transition to the pro game smother without the any financial worries.

What financial worries does a 19 YO kid making $70k US have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad