Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
In my personal ranking of our prospects I had him at 30th. I am honestly surprised that we're even talking about signing him, but I haven't watched him this year and by all accounts he's improved.
30 may be a little low IMO.
he's definitely outside of my top 10 and seems like a longshot/AHL fodder.
not sure if you want to tie up $$ on him unless you cut guys like Lipon and DeLeo

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
30 may be a little low IMO.
he's definitely outside of my top 10 and seems like a longshot/AHL fodder.
not sure if you want to tie up $$ on him unless you cut guys like Lipon and DeLeo

DeLeo is in the last year of his ELC, Lipon is on his 2nd contract already. They may not even want to stay with the Jets. They need to find a place in the NHL at this point or move on. Both had games in the NHL a couple of years ago and didn't look out of place. They didn't push anyone aside either.

Pretty sure the Jets will make room on the Moose for new faces to get their shot. There are several Moose players who are unlikely to be back in addition to those two.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
In my personal ranking of our prospects I had him at 30th. I am honestly surprised that we're even talking about signing him, but I haven't watched him this year and by all accounts he's improved.
The dollars on a 1 year ELC won't be a concern. If the Jets think he has a chance and he is willing, he'll be signed.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Stallard was AHL eligible this year. The fact that he didn't make the jump makes me think the team isn't super high on him. Could go either way, but I'm not expecting a ton.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stallard was AHL eligible this year. The fact that he didn't make the jump makes me think the team isn't super high on him. Could go either way, but I'm not expecting a ton.

They may have updated their assessment of him. This has been something of a breakout season for him. .925 ppg last year, 1.26 ppg this year. This is still only D+2 for him. His B'day is just late enough for him to have played in the AHL this year. Jets were already adding quite a few new forwards to the Moose.

I don't think Gennaro should be used as the yardstick for how the Jets approach prospects with that kind of production. No idea what the issue is with Gennaro but something is off. His scoring should have warranted some team using a 7th on him when he went back into the draft or offering him at least an AHL contract. But he got nothing. I think he attended Ottawa's TC, that's it. In an overage Jr year he has produced almost exactly as he did in his D+2 year and not quite as well as Stallard has performed this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like Stallard kid works hard. Would like to see him signed. His upside as a pro I think is limited though

We are discussing some pretty late picks here. I don't think we should expect much upside. If we get the odd one making it as a bottom 6/3rd pair player we are doing well. There are occasional exceptions of course. Niku has upside. Those are pretty rare though.

Personally, I hate giving up on players who continue to show improvement. Give them enough opportunity for them to actually fail first. I realize that there is a numbers game and not everyone can fit. Some pretty good players will fall just short.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We are discussing some pretty late picks here. I don't think we should expect much upside. If we get the odd one making it as a bottom 6/3rd pair player we are doing well. There are occasional exceptions of course. Niku has upside. Those are pretty rare though.

Personally, I hate giving up on players who continue to show improvement. Give them enough opportunity for them to actually fail first. I realize that there is a numbers game and not everyone can fit. Some pretty good players will fall just short.

I think that at some point the Jets will begin getting closer to 50 contracts. They are going to need some of these "cheap" prospects and the more they have percolating the more likely it is one or two pan out.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Would be great to sign C.J. Seuss and Dan Brickley from M.S.U Mankato.

35 point LD 3rd year college player free agent. ( 6'3 203 lbs)

Reactions: mazmin

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Would be great to sign C.J. Seuss and Dan Brickley from M.S.U Mankato.

35 point LD 3rd year college player free agent. ( 6'3 203 lbs)

Oh right I forgot that he's done now too (though still has another test of NCAA eligibility if he wants it). Some guy claiming to have inside sources hinted that we were pushing for him last year :P

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Liked how Chevy said that they felt the program at UMD was a very good fit for Samberg. The 3 coaches are former D and Chevy also said he played minor hockey with Jason Herter who is one of the coaches.

He made an impressive rise to making the WJC team as an 18 year old and played very well. Continuing with meaningful games and producing as well.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Liked how Chevy said that they felt the program at UMD was a very good fit for Samberg. The 3 coaches are former D and Chevy also said he played minor hockey with Jason Herter who is one of the coaches.

He made an impressive rise to making the WJC team as an 18 year old and played very well. Continuing with meaningful games and producing as well.

And Scott Sandelin, the UMD coach, is the father of his Hermantown buddy Ryan Sandelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad