Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
A couple of things.

- It is not very likely that he is signed to an ELC for this season. IMO the most likely scenario would be to have in effective July 1, and sign an ATO to join the Moose for the remainder of their season/playoffs
What’s his incentive to sign under these conditions? There is apparently interest from other teams and if the Jets don’t wan to sign him until July t would seem to be in his best interest to wait another 6 weeks and sign someplace that is less congested at F.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What’s his incentive to sign under these conditions? There is apparently interest from other teams and if the Jets don’t wan to sign him until July t would seem to be in his best interest to wait another 6 weeks and sign someplace that is less congested at F.

The incentive is he can begin his pro hockey career right away. He can see what pronhockey is all about. He can begin working with the Jets staff and design an off-season training program to help him prepare for training camp. It’s a path many college players choose including a bunch already this year

He can’t do that with any other team.

Reactions: HannuJ

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The incentive is he can begin his pro hockey career right away. He can see what pronhockey is all about. He can begin working with the Jets staff and design an off-season training program to help him prepare for training camp. It’s a path many college players choose including a bunch already this year

He can’t do that with any other team.

But if it's an ATO, he can do that and still be a free agent August 15th, no? Honestly I don't see a situation where they'd give him an ATO.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
But if it's an ATO, he can do that and still be a free agent August 15th, no? Honestly I don't see a situation where they'd give him an ATO.

Not if he signs an ELC he can't. The Jets won't offer him an ATO if he isn't going to sign with them.

It happens all the time. ATO and ELC effective July 1. Why do other players do that then?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Not if he signs an ELC he can't. The Jets won't offer him an ATO if he isn't going to sign with them.

It happens all the time. ATO and ELC effective July 1. Why do other players do that then?

Usually because they don't have any options or leverage I'd imagine.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Usually because they don't have any options or leverage I'd imagine.

I think you misunderstood me

Many players coming from college do exactly that. Dozens every year.They sign an ELC that is effective in July and join the AHL affiliate on an ATO for the playoffs. What the heck does that have to do with leverage?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

He can sign an ELC NOW that would start July 1. Then sign an ATO for rest of year in AHL. If he plans to sign with the Jets that is the most likely way it goes down.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I don't really have the time to muddle through 87 pages, but where, realistically does Suess fit in with us? If we sign him, I'm assuming he is Moose bound next year, but what is his potential like? Anything special?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I don't really have the time to muddle through 87 pages, but where, realistically does Suess fit in with us? If we sign him, I'm assuming he is Moose bound next year, but what is his potential like? Anything special?

Smaller scoring winger. Has some fiestiness to his game. Decent quickness and hands, not overly fast, solid shot, sometimes gets lost a bit defensively.

I know it's pretty much cliche at this point, but his upside is likely Mathieu Perreault lite. However I wouldn't put the odds on hitting that upside as very high. I'd say it's more likely he is an AHL scorer ala Chase De Leo rather than an NHLer.

Reactions: snowkiddin

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Smaller scoring winger. Has some fiestiness to his game. Decent quickness and hands, not overly fast, solid shot, sometimes gets lost a bit defensively.

I know it's pretty much cliche at this point, but his upside is likely Mathieu Perreault lite. However I wouldn't put the odds on hitting that upside as very high. I'd say it's more likely he is an AHL scorer ala Chase De Leo rather than an NHLer.
He's moved to centre, no? I agree with the rest though. Probably closer to a Tanev (level of impact) than anything else. Some skill, but not enough to project as a scorer in the bigs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's moved to centre, no? I agree with the rest though. Probably closer to a Tanev (level of impact) than anything else. Some skill, but not enough to project as a scorer in the bigs.

That sounds like underselling him by quite a bit. Brandon Tanev never came remotely close to being nominated for the Hobey Baker. His best season in NCAA he scored 28 pts in 38 games. Suess has scored 43 in 39. I forget the list of awards Suess has won. It is quite a few.

I doubt he becomes a top 6 player but he certainly projects higher than Tanev. Doesn't mean he will achieve higher but he certainly has the chance to.

Edit: Went and looked up the awards:
- NCAA (WCHA) All-Rookie Team 14/15
- NCAA (WCHA) Champion 14/15
- NCAA (WCHA) First All-Star Team 17/18
- NCAA (WCHA) Player of the Year 17/18
- NCAA (WCHA) Scoring Champion 17/18
- NCAA (WCHA) Second All-Star Team 16/17
- NCAA Top Collegiate Player (Hobey Baker Award) Finalist 17/18
- USHL All-Star Game 13/14
- World Junior A Challenge Gold Medal 13/14

Here's Tanev's list:
- NCAA (Championship) Winner 14/15

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've heard a much smarter, but slightly slower Tanev from another hockey person.

I am unable to give my own thoughts. :P

:laugh: You would think that your own thoughts would be the one thing you still could give. Oh wait - not for free. :laugh:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I've heard a much smarter, but slightly slower Tanev from another hockey person.

I am unable to give my own thoughts. :P
is he like Tanev i.e. unable to skate in any direction other than forward? or having two left hands vs 1 left and 1 right?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
That sounds like underselling him by quite a bit. Brandon Tanev never came remotely close to being nominated for the Hobey Baker. His best season in NCAA he scored 28 pts in 38 games. Suess has scored 43 in 39. I forget the list of awards Suess has won. It is quite a few.

I doubt he becomes a top 6 player but he certainly projects higher than Tanev. Doesn't mean he will achieve higher but he certainly has the chance to.

Edit: Went and looked up the awards:
- NCAA (WCHA) All-Rookie Team 14/15
- NCAA (WCHA) Champion 14/15
- NCAA (WCHA) First All-Star Team 17/18
- NCAA (WCHA) Player of the Year 17/18
- NCAA (WCHA) Scoring Champion 17/18
- NCAA (WCHA) Second All-Star Team 16/17
- NCAA Top Collegiate Player (Hobey Baker Award) Finalist 17/18
- USHL All-Star Game 13/14
- World Junior A Challenge Gold Medal 13/14

Here's Tanev's list:
- NCAA (Championship) Winner 14/15
I am aware of the accolades and I still think he projects as a 4th liner, closer to Tanev than Copp (who is actually younger than Suess). That doesn't me a he can't surpass that role, but given his history of middling production I'm not getting my hopes up.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

From that assessment & our depth, I'd say losing him wouldn't be that hard a hit for the Jets. Not sure how many free spaces they have left for signings, but may be one they will not pursue that hard.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
:laugh: You would think that your own thoughts would be the one thing you still could give. Oh wait - not for free. :laugh:

Yes, it's behind a paywall. Limited time offer: subscribe now to Garret's Brain and receive a FREE Burmi rookie poster. :laugh:

33de89906e234c46a7e3acb7fc3e309d_front.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am aware of the accolades and I still think he projects as a 4th liner, closer to Tanev than Copp (who is actually younger than Suess). That doesn't me a he can't surpass that role, but given his history of middling production I'm not getting my hopes up.

Restraining the optimism is probably wise. I'm not expecting an all star either. But he has also outproduced Copp by a fairly wide margin.

There is no guarantee he ever becomes an NHL player at all. But I hope he can be a good 3LW. There would be nothing wrong with him becoming an upgrade on Tanev either.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Pronman stated a week or two ago that in his opinion he could be a 4C now for the Jets or a really good player for the Moose.

He has been playing C, he's thick but not tall. More goal scoring upside than Tanev from what I have seen. The C option is a positive.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Yeah. I don't think they are that similar in play style, but I think they are likely have a similar impact.
Depends on the definition of slightly slower, I would certainly not say that. He can skate but not at the level Tanev does or "slightly slower".

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From that assessment & our depth, I'd say losing him wouldn't be that hard a hit for the Jets. Not sure how many free spaces they have left for signings, but may be one they will not pursue that hard.

If he is an NHL player at any level he is an asset. In fact, as long as that potential remains, he is an asset. Being able to make the team or not isn't even relevant as long as some team might be willing to trade for him.

I've always thought of him as having roughly the same value as Foley. Foley was part payment for Stastny.

Or maybe we trade some other player and fit Suess into his spot. He has value - until he is no longer seen as a prospect.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Restraining the optimism is probably wise. I'm not expecting an all star either. But he has also outproduced Copp by a fairly wide margin.
No.

He has performed well at 23 years old, but the rest of his career was nothing special.

At 18:
Copp - 21 points in 38 games (.6 per game)
Seuss - Not in the NCAA

At 19:
Copp - 29 points in 33 games (.9 per game)
Seuss - Not in the NCAA

At 20:
Copp - 31 points in 36 games (.9 per game)
Seuss - 21 points in 37 games (.6 per game)

At 21:
Copp - In the NHL
Seuss - 25 points in 41 games (.6 per game)

At 22:
Copp - In the NHL
Seuss - 31 points in 39 games (.8 per game)

At 23:
Copp - In the NHL
Seuss - 43 points in 39 games (1.1 per game)

Copp was as productive at 18 as Suess was at 21.
Copp was a productive at 19 as Suess was at 22.

Copp is also bigger, faster and IMO has higher hockey sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad