Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I summarized some data that some of us tracked at the youngstars tournament:
http://jetsnation.ca/2015/9/16/some-numbers-on-the-winnipeg-jets-at-the-youngstars-tournament

Thanks a lot for tracking and summarizing the data.

The results are pretty interesting.

With regards to Morrissey in particular I think people were expecting a lot of flashy play with the puck and maybe some more bone crushing hits. I thought he played a good all around game myself and it's nice to see the numbers back that up.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/winnipeg-jets/

"Weaknesses: No high-end goaltending prospects"

shaq.gif

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
HF needs to stop pretending to track and rate prospects. This may simply be that out of date but that is no excuse. 2 years out of date? Seriously, if they can't do better they should stop altogether.

Yes, I certainly agree, for a site that has such a good message board their massive fails on their prospects rating/tracking is ridiculous.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
Thanks a lot for tracking and summarizing the data.

The results are pretty interesting.

With regards to Morrissey in particular I think people were expecting a lot of flashy play with the puck and maybe some more bone crushing hits. I thought he played a good all around game myself and it's nice to see the numbers back that up.

That was my impression too. I think we'll see more flashy play as he adjusts to the pro game and gains confidence.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That was my impression too. I think we'll see more flashy play as he adjusts to the pro game and gains confidence.

I agree with that. I also think the data clearly shows that his defensive partners were of little help which likely played a role in him not being confident to jump into the play as much as some expected. While some fans won't appreciate his quiet and steady play, I'm sure Maurice was happy with his play.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I agree with that. I also think the data clearly shows that his defensive partners were of little help which likely played a role in him not being confident to jump into the play as much as some expected. While some fans won't appreciate his quiet and steady play, I'm sure Maurice was happy with his play.

And he probably knew he'd be carrying the d.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
From Friedman's 30 thoughts

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

19. Boy did Winnipeg’s Nik Ehlers coast through his first two games at that tournament. But he finished well, leading a couple of scouts to laugh that Ehlers was letting everyone know he’d be more competitive at the main camp. Also: “He’s stronger than you’d think.”

20. When the final horn sounded, and Connor Hellebuyck realized he’d shut out the Czech Republic en route to a stunning bronze for Team USA at the Worlds, what went through his mind? “Honestly, it’s very difficult to put into words,” he said, adding that it was equally as special to walk into his family’s home with the medal for the first time. Hellebuyck said his first pro season was a much bigger adjustment than he’d thought. “I didn’t realize I’d hit a wall during the year. You think with all those days off (in the AHL), that you’re okay, but the workload is so much heavier.” He played 53 games in two NCAA seasons, and 58 last year in St. John’s. “I’ll be ready for it this time.” Meanwhile, Winnipeg isn’t making it easy for anyone to discuss its young goalies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah, I was thinking that a lot of the older prospects were treating the tournament like the NHL vets treat pre-season games. Would have rather they showed a lot more gumption out there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

19. Boy did Winnipeg’s Nik Ehlers coast through his first two games at that tournament. But he finished well, leading a couple of scouts to laugh that Ehlers was letting everyone know he’d be more competitive at the main camp. Also: “He’s stronger than you’d think.â€

20. When the final horn sounded, and Connor Hellebuyck realized he’d shut out the Czech Republic en route to a stunning bronze for Team USA at the Worlds, what went through his mind? “Honestly, it’s very difficult to put into words,†he said, adding that it was equally as special to walk into his family’s home with the medal for the first time. Hellebuyck said his first pro season was a much bigger adjustment than he’d thought. “I didn’t realize I’d hit a wall during the year. You think with all those days off (in the AHL), that you’re okay, but the workload is so much heavier.†He played 53 games in two NCAA seasons, and 58 last year in St. John’s. “I’ll be ready for it this time.†Meanwhile, Winnipeg isn’t making it easy for anyone to discuss its young goalies.

Hellebuyck's comment about the workload is interesting. Just following the results of IceCaps games it was apparent that Helle's performance dropped and we could speculate that it was fatigue. Now confirmed. With a better backup he should play at least a little less, say 52-54 games instead of 58. Add to being better prepared for it what can he achieve this year?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

19. Boy did Winnipeg’s Nik Ehlers coast through his first two games at that tournament. But he finished well, leading a couple of scouts to laugh that Ehlers was letting everyone know he’d be more competitive at the main camp. Also: “He’s stronger than you’d think.â€

20. When the final horn sounded, and Connor Hellebuyck realized he’d shut out the Czech Republic en route to a stunning bronze for Team USA at the Worlds, what went through his mind? “Honestly, it’s very difficult to put into words,†he said, adding that it was equally as special to walk into his family’s home with the medal for the first time. Hellebuyck said his first pro season was a much bigger adjustment than he’d thought. “I didn’t realize I’d hit a wall during the year. You think with all those days off (in the AHL), that you’re okay, but the workload is so much heavier.†He played 53 games in two NCAA seasons, and 58 last year in St. John’s. “I’ll be ready for it this time.†Meanwhile, Winnipeg isn’t making it easy for anyone to discuss its young goalies.

I wonder what-on-Earth that means...

Whileee

May 29, 2010

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So, Ehlers is good. So is Morrissey.

Thought you might have been a bit harsh on Lemieux. He was by no means one of the worse forwards, and I actually thought he was a bit better than I expected. I never really thought that he was a legit option for the NHL this year.

I've seen him a lot in Barrie and always liked him. Always thought he had NHL probable bottom six guy, but thought he was drafted too early.

I really liked his first game, but thought his second game was very disappointing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've seen him a lot in Barrie and always liked him. Always thought he had NHL probable bottom six guy, but thought he was drafted too early.

I really liked his first game, but thought his second game was very disappointing.

I think he has a good chance at the NHL in a bottom 6 role. Guys like him who have a bit of offense generally find a role.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The good news: Pavel Kraskovsky was on the ice again today.
The bad news: in the MHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad