Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly my point. If 22 year old is bettis significant.r suited to more ice time in a lower league because you think his upside is third line or beyter, how is a 19 year old better served playing 4th line minutes, especially when he was a key piece of your most valuable player trade.

If they asked to get lemieux thinking he'd be a good fourth liner some day then they are fools.

For lemieux to be an OK guy to out on the fourth line you have to assume he doesn't have much more of a ceiling then that Cus your limiting it. This is the copp situation. He's OK to be the 4c because his upside isn't going to be limited by that since his ultimate upside is maybe a 3c.

If our management specifically asked for a player whom they view with a similar limited upside they made a bad decision.

Fair enough then. The age difference between Copp and Lemieux Is significant.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Skinner has more points in his worst ever season than Burmi did in his best, they are not comparable players, Skinner is much better and his injury history is very overblown

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Skinner has more points in his worst ever season than Burmi did in his best, they are not comparable players, Skinner is much better and his injury history is very overblown

Skinner is an interesting player. He had an amazing rookie season for an 18 year old but since then has kind of settled in at a lower level than I expected. Still solid but his high water mark was when he was 18. Last year was a blow out season for him (and the Canes in general) so hopefully for Canes fans that was an outlier because 31 points for a scoring winger is brutal.

I think it is possible Skinner's injury history is overblown because he has played 71 and 77 games in his last two seasons but multiple concussions is not something I take lightly either. He has averaged missing about 11 games a season since his first concussion. That being said I was more worried about Kane's durability going forward given his style of play so Jeff is not alone it's a tough game.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I brought up the Kosmo is > Lemieux last week. I think he has more tools, also agitates, better fighter, but can keep his head. Lemieux just has better brand recognition let's see if Brendan can put up over 100 points this season in the OHL in his draft plus 2 season Like Scott did before we anoint him NHL material yet. Honestly I think some fans get caught up thinking Brendan will be another Claude and who knows maybe it happens but I think it is wishful thinking.

GJG

At this point I'd also much rather have Lemieux back in the OHL and hopefully given much more responsibility.

If the idea around keeping Lemieux around on the 4th is predicated on keeping the 4th line "heavy", and giving them low minutes (to explain why a guy like Armia might not be a fit as it might be better to have him play more minutes in the AHL), I would wonder why a guy like Lipon wouldn't be better in that specific role over Lemieux? Lipon already has 2 years of pro experience, can handle the rough stuff, and I don't think playing lesser minutes on the 4th is going to hurt his development any. And Lemieux can try to take the next step in the top 6 on his OHL team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
At this point I'd also much rather have Lemieux back in the OHL and hopefully given much more responsibility.

If the idea around keeping Lemieux around on the 4th is predicated on keeping the 4th line "heavy", and giving them low minutes (to explain why a guy like Armia might not be a fit as it might be better to have him play more minutes in the AHL), I would wonder why a guy like Lipon wouldn't be better in that specific role over Lemieux? Lipon already has 2 years of pro experience, can handle the rough stuff, and I don't think playing lesser minutes on the 4th is going to hurt his development any. And Lemieux can try to take the next step in the top 6 on his OHL team.

Yea we'll see how it all shakes out and never say never but I see Brendan being a season or two away at the earliest. To me there are better options currently for the same roll. I think he is just getting new the bright shinny object attention. That being said I was off by one season on Lowry so they removed my credentials as a clairvoyant :naughty:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There seems to be a vibe in the local media about Lemieux. It reminds me of Lowry last year at this time. I think they've been alerted by the Jets org to pay attention to him. I get the feeling Lemieux will be given an opportunity ti shine in TC. Lemieux still has to show he belongs and on ice performance will decide it, but he may be closer to sticking in the NHL than many here give him credit for.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Skinner is an interesting player. He had an amazing rookie season for an 18 year old but since then has kind of settled in at a lower level than I expected. Still solid but his high water mark was when he was 18. Last year was a blow out season for him (and the Canes in general) so hopefully for Canes fans that was an outlier because 31 points for a scoring winger is brutal.

I think it is possible Skinner's injury history is overblown because he has played 71 and 77 games in his last two seasons but multiple concussions is not something I take lightly either. He has averaged missing about 11 games a season since his first concussion. That being said I was more worried about Kane's durability going forward given his style of play so Jeff is not alone it's a tough game.

The multiple concussions would worry me. Was it last year, maybe pre-season? Somebody just gave him a hard look and he got concussed, missed 2-3 games. At any rate his next concussion could be career ending. Concussions never heal 100%. Each one you have makes the next one more likely AFAIK.

Yea we'll see how it all shakes out and never say never but I see Brendan being a season or two away at the earliest. To me there are better options currently for the same roll. I think he is just getting new the bright shinny object attention. That being said I was off by one season on Lowry so they removed my credentials as a clairvoyant :naughty:

I think he needs at least 1 full season in the AHL, maybe more. The parentage is behind a lot of the push. He may turn out to be good but he is not his father.

There seems to be a vibe in the local media about Lemieux. It reminds me of Lowry last year at this time. I think they've been alerted by the Jets org to pay attention to him. I get the feeling Lemieux will be given an opportunity ti shine in TC. Lemieux still has to show he belongs and on ice performance will decide it, but he may be closer to sticking in the NHL than many here give him credit for.

That was my thought. That and a little doubt about Armia (or Petan) on the 4th lead me to question the possibility of Lemieux making it early. If we are only going to have 2 rookies out of TC then there is no (reasonable) explanation for not signing Stemp or another FA for the 4th. No FA has been signed. 4th line of Thor, Copp and any of Hali, Fraser, Peluso is just not believable with all the talent out there cheap. Therefore it has to be one of our prospects. If not Armia or Petan then it has to come from Kosmo, Lipon ....... or Lemieux.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I thought the same thing. I remember last year at this time, the media was pumping Lowry, and I admittedly didn't see it the same way. I was wrong and they obviously had some inside information. The Lemieux situation looks the same this year. I don't see it, but where there's smoke there's fire.

Same thing with Armia. He doesn't seem as ready as some, but there is lots of talk of him making the team. Again, wouldn't be my first (or second) choice to call up.

But there are many aspects to filling roles on a hockey team, and I'm not privvy to all the inner workings. I love to speculate and follow along, but it's amazing how often I'm wrong! :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sportsnet talks to Ron McLean (IC Dave's headlines)
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ron-maclean-talks-hometown-hockey-babcock-and-jets/

It was interesting that McLean wasn't being asked about the Jets. He went out of his way to mention them.

I liked this Q&A at the end.
"SN: The rookie to watch for next year not named McDavid or Eichel is...

MacLean: I have to say Nic Petan in Winnipeg. He has to make the team, but he would be my guy."

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Sportsnet talks to Ron McLean (IC Dave's headlines)
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ron-maclean-talks-hometown-hockey-babcock-and-jets/

It was interesting that McLean wasn't being asked about the Jets. He went out of his way to mention them.

I liked this line Q&A at the end.
"SN: The rookie to watch for next year not named McDavid or Eichel is...

MacLean: I have to say Nic Petan in Winnipeg. He has to make the team, but he would be my guy."

Nice! He had a few nice things to say about the Jets. Cool.

"SN: The Edmonton Oilers won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes and engaged in flash remodelling over the summer and the Calgary Flames appear ready to take a step forward after a surprising season. Is it safe to say the Battle of Alberta is back?

MacLean: For sure. The only caveat I’d say is that the Winnipeg Jets are a sneaky something special as well. Nik Ehlers was on Hometown Hockey last year in Halifax. I love Nic Petan. I don’t hear a lot of talk about Petan but I am a huge fan of his. They have Josh Morrissey coming… so I think they are also rounding out, like Calgary, a really solid defence. They have a high-end defence. They have a good coach. Mark Scheifele, too, is a really good talent coming along. They remind me a little of Calgary.

It’s funny, when we’re on in those two cities (Winnipeg and Calgary) they’re like ‘why not us, why does it have to be Edmonton who’s going to win the Cup in 2-4 years?’"

"SN: Who's a team that will surprise people in 2015-16?

MacLean: For me it's the Jets. They’re expected to have a fall back, and this is a risky prediction, but I feel like Ehlers, Morrissey, and Petan, if they’re given a shot will take that team to a whole new level. Their defence is extremely good."

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

I seem to recall the Jets hinting Lipon may get a some looks with the big club this year, or perhaps I’m just imagining things? Anyway, I tend to agree, unless Lemieux puts up some good numbers in pre-season I can’t see him even getting 9 game look, there are too many guys further along in their development.

Also, as a general rule I think Junior is a better place for building creativity and confidence with the puck. You don’t get better at skills you don’t use, but when you try something at the upper edge of your abilities against higher levels of competition the chances are it won’t work. If fails badly enough you may not see much more ice time, so it forces players to be conservative which stifles the creativity.

The flip side is the player who is so good they can make anything work, even if it’s a bad idea. These guys may just end up picking up bad habits. This may apply to Ehlers but certainly not Lemieux. Even if he could play 4th line already which I don’t think he can, Lemieux is much better served developing his offensive skills and creativity in Junior than learning not to take chances or try anything creative as a 4th liner.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Another Freep article for IC Dave's headlines.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Jets-young-stars-improved-but-still-have-plenty-to-prove-326489391.html

Mostly a healthy dose of realism.
2 things struck me.
1)
After all, the whole point of the draft-and-develop blueprint is to have these players eventually form the foundation of a contender and Ehlers, Morrissey, Connor Hellebuyck, Nic Petan, Andrew Copp and Brendan Lemieux could all be immediately in the mix for Jets jobs in the next couple of weeks.
My bold.
There it is again. Are they all just feeding off each other or is there something (however misguided) to this?

and 2) Tait looks back and finds Scheifele, Lowry and Chiarot from that first YS tournament that have graduated to the Jets. We must have been rated as last among the 4 prospect pools. I got to wondering how many have graduated to the other 3 teams involved that year?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Another Freep article for IC Dave's headlines.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Jets-young-stars-improved-but-still-have-plenty-to-prove-326489391.html

Mostly a healthy dose of realism.
2 things struck me.
1) My bold.
There it is again. Are they all just feeding off each other or is there something (however misguided) to this?

and 2) Tait looks back and finds Scheifele, Lowry and Chiarot from that first YS tournament that have graduated to the Jets. We must have been rated as last among the 4 prospect pools. I got to wondering how many have graduated to the other 3 teams involved that year?

Could've missed some but I was mostly just scanning for names I knew.

Jets

Adam Lowry - 80 NHL games
Mark Scheifele - 156 NHL games
Ben Chiarot - 41 NHL games

Canucks

Frank Corrado - 25 NHL games
Kevin Connauton - 98 NHL games (none with Vancouver)
Jordan Schroeder - 81 NHL games (56 with Vancouver)

Flames

TJ Brodie - 266 NHL games
Joni Ortio - 15 NHL games
Sven Baertschi - 69 NHL games (now in Vancouver)
Roman Horak - 84 NHL games (in KHL now)
Lance Bouma - 199 NHL games
Micheal Ferland - 26 NHL games

Oilers

Anton Lander - 132 NHL games
Tobias Rieder - 72 NHL games (all for Coyotes)
Tyler Pitlick - 27 NHL games
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 258 NHL games
Martin Marincin - 85 NHL games

Sharks

Nada

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Could've missed some but I was mostly just scanning for names I knew.

Jets

Adam Lowry - 80 NHL games
Mark Scheifele - 156 NHL games
Ben Chiarot - 41 NHL games

Canucks

Frank Corrado - 25 NHL games
Kevin Connauton - 98 NHL games (none with Vancouver)
Jordan Schroeder - 81 NHL games (56 with Vancouver)

Flames

TJ Brodie - 266 NHL games
Joni Ortio - 15 NHL games
Sven Baertschi - 69 NHL games (now in Vancouver)
Roman Horak - 84 NHL games (in KHL now)
Lance Bouma - 199 NHL games
Micheal Ferland - 26 NHL games

Oilers

Anton Lander - 132 NHL games
Tobias Rieder - 72 NHL games (all for Coyotes)
Tyler Pitlick - 27 NHL games
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 258 NHL games
Martin Marincin - 85 NHL games

Sharks

Nada

Both the Flames and Oilers have done alright from those groups but neither has blown us away. On one hand it says that we have done well under the circumstances. OTOH it says that high rated prospect pools may not outperform low rated ones or at least not by a lot.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How about Trouba?

I know he didn't particpipate in the YST

It also showed the Jets not rushing
Petan
Morrissey

Aren't they talking about the players in the 2011 tournament? Those guys you mentioned weren't drafted yet.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Nice! He had a few nice things to say about the Jets. Cool.

"SN: The Edmonton Oilers won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes and engaged in flash remodelling over the summer and the Calgary Flames appear ready to take a step forward after a surprising season. Is it safe to say the Battle of Alberta is back?

MacLean: For sure. The only caveat I’d say is that the Winnipeg Jets are a sneaky something special as well. Nik Ehlers was on Hometown Hockey last year in Halifax. I love Nic Petan. I don’t hear a lot of talk about Petan but I am a huge fan of his. They have Josh Morrissey coming… so I think they are also rounding out, like Calgary, a really solid defence. They have a high-end defence. They have a good coach. Mark Scheifele, too, is a really good talent coming along. They remind me a little of Calgary.

It’s funny, when we’re on in those two cities (Winnipeg and Calgary) they’re like ‘why not us, why does it have to be Edmonton who’s going to win the Cup in 2-4 years?’"

"SN: Who's a team that will surprise people in 2015-16?

MacLean: For me it's the Jets. They’re expected to have a fall back, and this is a risky prediction, but I feel like Ehlers, Morrissey, and Petan, if they’re given a shot will take that team to a whole new level. Their defence is extremely good."

Petan is ridiculously good! Can't wait to see how it translates into the NHL. He's like everything you wished that Kyle Wellwood could have been.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
How did he do?

They didn't even attempt to write things in English or Swedish on the Liiga website.

I watched about a half of the game.
Niku actually looked better than i expected, (haven't really watch him much before) didn't look out of place, which is good from 18-years old in FEL.
He gave couple of really nice passes in the o-zone and time to time looked dangerous with the puck.

He also made couple of minor mistakes, but nothing too bad.

His team JYP won the game 2-0

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I watched about a half of the game.
Niku actually looked better than i expected, (haven't really watch him much before) didn't look out of place, which is good from 18-years old in FEL.
He gave couple of really nice passes in the o-zone and time to time looked dangerous with the puck.

He also made couple of minor mistakes, but nothing too bad.

His team JYP won the game 2-0

Good stuff! Thanks man. I couldn't get the stream to work, unfortunately, so I couldn't watch the game.

jetman

May 21, 2015
Looks like HF has given a rating to Harkins of 7.5 D, (not that it means much...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad