Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
The only problem I have with Schmidt is his salary.
Nobody would be dumping on him if he were making 3m a year.
He is playing well with Sammy.
We have the cap room for him this season, so keep him.
Nah… biggest problem with Schmidt is everything
I hated that trade from day one and still do.
Too much salary, taking up space better filled with either more talented player or younger player.
For me, this is Chevys worst move as GM

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Some love for JMo and DeMo...

Let’s start with the Jets. Winnipeg’s been a game team across the board this year, but the results at the top of the lineup are truly impressive. The Morrissey and DeMelo pairing – they play primarily with the Mark Scheifele line – have cooked teams at even-strength, out-scoring their opponents by 19-goals while carrying about 53 per cent of the expected goal share. That’s playoff-calibre production from your top-pairing, period. B

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just realized yesterday...

Jomo: 1st round pick
Samberg: 2nd round pick
Demelo: 6th round pick
Schmidt: undrafted
Dillon: undrafted
Pionk: undrafted

The results this season from a group with this kind of pedigree is astonishing
Ya really, one thing I'll say though is the forwards actually coming back and playing defense has really helped our defense.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'll add to my previous post about draft pedigree...

Dillon 6'4 225
Samberg 6'4 216
Demelo 6'1 195
Jomo 195
Schmidt 6'0 192
Pionk 6'0 190

So while not "small", our D isn't huge either... but they all skate well.

A couple of summers ago there was a "chevy has no plan" sentiment floating around here... with the focus on the fact that he wasn't going out to replace or add players in order to build a contender in a specific way

Instead, it almost looks like the org sat down and said "this is what we have, and this is what we can realistically go get... how can we win with THIS?"

We saw Vegas win with a deep forward group, strong D and an "meh" goalie.. has anyone ever won with a deep forward group, strong goalie and "meh" (on paper) d corps? Maybe that's the path Chevy took... I guess we'll see if it was a good one to blaze

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'll add to my previous post about draft pedigree...

Dillon 6'4 225
Samberg 6'4 216
Demelo 6'1 195
Jomo 195
Schmidt 6'0 192
Pionk 6'0 190

So while not "small", our D isn't huge either... but they all skate well.

A couple of summers ago there was a "chevy has no plan" sentiment floating around here... with the focus on the fact that he wasn't going out to replace or add players in order to build a contender in a specific way

Instead, it almost looks like the org sat down and said "this is what we have, and this is what we can realistically go get... how can we win with THIS?"

We saw Vegas win with a deep forward group, strong D and an "meh" goalie.. has anyone ever won with a deep forward group, strong goalie and "meh" (on paper) d corps? Maybe that's the path Chevy took... I guess we'll see if it was a good one to blaze
Pens?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, I thought of them too.. Jomo would be our Letang

I think the biggest difference is that their F group was more top heavy than ours. It could be argued that at the time they won the cup, Crosby and Malkin were the top two players on the planet

I mentionned "deep forward group" because we don't have that kind of superstar up front, let alone two of them. It's more of a committee

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, I thought of them too.. Jomo would be our Letang

I think the biggest difference is that their F group was more top heavy than ours. It could be argued that at the time they won the cup, Crosby and Malkin were the top two players on the planet

I mentionned "deep forward group" because we don't have that kind of superstar up front, let alone two of them. It's more of a committee

They were able to have Kessel on the third line those teams. So they dis have quality forward depth as well.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
JMo getting some props, he and DD ranking 3rd in goal differential leaguewide. Wonder how good he'd be playing with Samberg?

Winnipeg Jets

Josh Morrissey is proving that last year’s breakout as a bona fide No. 1 defenseman was no fluke [he's] controlling 55 percent of scoring chances and is nearly impossible to score on, with a 1.55 goals-against-per-hour rate.

These results are even more impressive when you factor in that Morrissey has less help than his peers. Dylan DeMelo is a smart, underrated defenseman but he’s not a true top-pair caliber partner for Morrissey.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Jets D for 24-25, if no UFA’s sign:
Morrisey - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt
Stanley - Heinola
Capobianco

Hope they can sign a UFA or 2.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Morrisey - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt
Stanley - Heinola
Capobianco

There are 3 people I would love to no longer see on the back end, and unfortunately all still have contracts. Bring back DeMelo, trade off either Schmidt or Pionk, and sign Chris Tanev. >_>

Reactions: hn777

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
My guess is Schmidt is bought out. We need to retain one of DeMelo or Dillion.

What I'd like to see:

JoMo upgrade
Snerg Pionk
Heinola DeMelo

I have no issue with DeMelo on the 1st pair, he is a +70 as a Winnipeg Jet and has been a beauty shutdown guy.

Ideally it would be amazing to have another true top pair RHD to move some guys down (My kingdom for prime Buff right now).

Considering the cost and likely availability of that player, I wonder if you can re-sign Demelo (to 3 or 4 years) as he's been good with JoMo, and find an "upgrade" on the 3rd RHD spot over Schmidt? And ideally, if we're not able to re-sign Dillon, hopefully that player could bring some physicality that would be lost with losing Dillon?
I really do think that Salo could be on the Jets in 2025 so we could see maybe:

JoMo DeMelo
Snerg Pionk
Heinola (Physical upgrade over Schmidt)
Stanley Schmidt

JoMo DeMelo
Snerg (2024 upgrade good enough to play here until Salo can?)
Heinola Salo
Stanley

Reactions: hn777

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Morrisey - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt
Stanley - Heinola
Capobianco

Losing both Demelo and Dillon in the off-season would be devastating and would leave the Jets with a defense akin to the 2019-20 team.

My guess is Schmidt is bought out. We need to retain one of DeMelo or Dillion.

What I'd like to see:

JoMo upgrade
Snerg Pionk
Heinola DeMelo
Where's Stanley? Sitting in the pressbox?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad