Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There's a lot of discussions about the Jets defense that filters into other topics, a lot of opinions, some relevant stats.

Thought we could have a discussion about our d-corps: likes, dislikes, direction, ice time deployment, handling of the rookies, etc.

Is our defense good enough to get us to the playoffs? Could our defense be good enough, with in-season development to get anywhere in the playoffs? Do we need external help?

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Right now it’s hard to judge what we really have with D when perhaps two key pieces of our top 4 aren’t getting any games. We waited so long for Samberg and Heinola to arrive to help us, and we don’t even play them. It’s frustrating.

We should have the defense to make the playoffs but to be a real contender, we need to improve it. I think we shouldn’t give up too many assets before we see what we have in Heinola/Samberg. That said, the draft this year will be a crapshoot, and apparently it’s not a very deep draft. If we lose in the first round again it might not be a bad idea to move our first at the draft for a #3-4 D. Not sure I wanna make a move before that — don’t want to waste assets on a rental, nor do I wanna bring someone in who will have expansion draft implications.

Here’s how I see the D right now:

Morrissey: High-end top 4, good top pairing guy but can’t carry garbage
Pionk: Offensively gifted top 4. Defense is improving. Probably our best D at this moment. Better than Trouba.
Forbort: Decent defensive #4-5. Playing better than usual this year.
DeMelo: Defensively sound, not good offensively. Decent top 4 option, ideally third pairing though.
Stanley: Floor seems to be a solid third pairing defensive defenseman. I’m thinking he could develop into a #3-4. Offense will come. Would like to see more ice from him, including special teams, but he is only a rookie.
Beaulieu: Garbage. Last year I thought he was an okay 7th. This year, get him off the team.
Poolman: Playing very well this year. Good skater. Ideally third pair.
Niku: I think his time in Winnipeg is just about done. Expecting him to be traded at the deadline in a Petan-type swap. He’s great in the AHL but just doesn’t have it at the NHL level.
Heinola: IMO top pairing potential. He should honestly be in our top 4 already. Guy is a stud.
Samberg: Apparently has solid top 4 shutdown potential, but I haven’t seen him play much. Looking forward to seeing him on the Moose.

Chisholm: I’m excited for him. Very smart offensively, and talking to Peterborough Petes fans, they say he was their best defenseman defensively as well. Let’s see if it translates to the pro game.
Gawanke: Solid rookie year. If he continues to build off it I can see him making it to the NHL.
Kovacevic: I think he’s honestly almost NHL-ready. Very smart defensively and a good puck mover. Ceiling is low but I think his floor is everyday NHLer (a la Poolman).
Nogier: Career AHLer.
Green: I don’t think he’ll stay healthy. If he doesn’t play the entire year this season, he’s done.

Lundmark: Wanted to include him. Stat-watching says he does nothing, but I’ve heard he’s actually been pretty solid in Europe.
Bauer and Johannesson are both fliers right now. Neither have played this year; losing a season of development obviously doesn’t help them. Will see how they do next season.
Apparently we still have Cederholm. He won’t get any higher than the ECHL here so he’ll likely head back to Europe. Evingson will never play pro hockey.

What about you, @voyageur? What do you think? I’ve always liked reading your takes on our board.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Connor Murphy is the only affordable and potentially available D that can transform us

Mo wants size but we are trapped with size and lack of talent... and Mo loves Beau

Morrissey-Murphy - connors size frees up Morrissey a talent and playmaking again
Forbort-Pionk - I’m not sold on Forbort - he’s a slightly more talented Beaulieu... good for a couple big gaffes each game
Samberg-Poolman - seriously what do we have to lose by giving Samberg some games
Stanley-beau - Stanley is slow but has more hockey sense than beau - both kind of scary out there and not in a good way

Heinola only stays out because Mo wants size and that’s that - the guy would be playing on any other team...

Reactions: JetsUK

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Right now it’s hard to judge what we really have with D when perhaps two key pieces of our top 4 aren’t getting any games. We waited so long for Samberg and Heinola to arrive to help us, and we don’t even play them. It’s frustrating.

We should have the defense to make the playoffs but to be a real contender, we need to improve it. I think we shouldn’t give up too many assets before we see what we have in Heinola/Samberg. That said, the draft this year will be a crapshoot, and apparently it’s not a very deep draft. If we lose in the first round again it might not be a bad idea to move our first at the draft for a #3-4 D. Not sure I wanna make a move before that — don’t want to waste assets on a rental, nor do I wanna bring someone in who will have expansion draft implications.

Pionk: Offensively gifted top 4. Defense is improving. Probably our best D at this moment. Better than Trouba.
DeMelo: Defensively sound, not good offensively. Decent top 4 option, ideally third pairing though.
Stanley: Floor seems to be a solid third pairing defensive defenseman. I’m thinking he could develop into a #3-4. Offense will come. Would like to see more ice from him, including special teams, but he is only a rookie.
Beaulieu: Garbage. Last year I thought he was an okay 7th. This year, get him off the team.
Niku: I think his time in Winnipeg is just about done. Expecting him to be traded at the deadline in a Petan-type swap. He’s great in the AHL but just doesn’t have it at the NHL level.
Heinola: IMO top pairing potential. He should honestly be in our top 4 already. Guy is a stud.
Samberg: Apparently has solid top 4 shutdown potential, but I haven’t seen him play much. Looking forward to seeing him on the Moose.

Chisholm: I’m excited for him. Very smart offensively, and talking to Peterborough Petes fans, they say he was their best defenseman defensively as well. Let’s see if it translates to the pro game.
Gawanke: Solid rookie year. If he continues to build off it I can see him making it to the NHL.
Kovacevic: I think he’s honestly almost NHL-ready. Very smart defensively and a good puck mover. Ceiling is low but I think his floor is everyday NHLer (a la Poolman).
Green: I don’t think he’ll stay healthy. If he doesn’t play the entire year this season, he’s done.

Lundmark: Wanted to include him. Stay-watching says he does nothing, but I’ve heard he’s actually been pretty solid in Europe.
Bauer and Johannesson are both fliers right now. Neither have played this year; losing a season of development obviously doesn’t help them. Will see how they do next season.
Apparently we still have Cederholm. He won’t get any higher than the ECHL here so he’ll likely head back to Europe. Evingson will never play pro hockey.

What about you, @voyageur? What do you think? I’ve always liked reading your takes on our board.

I'd agree with a lot of your assessment. The way Pionk is playing right now, I think he should get more than Morrissey when it is time to renegotiate. He's very intelligent with the puck, is generally in a good position to support the puck, or his d-partner, and our most dangerous defenseman in the offensive zone. If he gets PP1 from Morrissey, I think it's a no brainer.

He's get a lot of his minutes with Forbort, and that pairing is tied to Lowry's line more than any other as the shutdown pairing. I think Lowry eliminates a lot of defensive worries for any d-man by generally being in a good support position, which I wonder if anyone could measure the impact between Morrissey's days of being the shutdown d-man tied to Lowry-Copp as opposed to now playing with Scheifele more than anyone else, and if the change in centres has had an impact.

Forbort plays a good support role, but he's up and down, sometimes gets caught because his first stride seems a little slower than everyone else's. For $1 million though I think he's filling a role, especially good on the PK.

Morrissey just doesn't look comfortable, and I can't explain it. Doesn't matter who is out there. He hasn't had too many dominant games this year. I'd like to see more from him and Poolman, because that's unequivocally our best skating pairing, and of all defensive combinations we have, that is actually the one who has the most games together, which is another part of our defensive struggles at times.

I'm ready to see Stanley-De Melo as the 3rd pairing. I like what I see from them. I am expecting Stanley to score soon. He just looks more poised with each game. But those are home games, so I am not following too closely how Maurice is matching him up. In the road game against Calgary he looked overmatched at times. But I still think this could be a good 3rd pairing. Gives Stanley a chance to contribute offensively, which he has potential to do. De Melo is looking more settled in, as the season is going on.

I am not as down about Beaulieu as others. I have seen some good things. PK is where he has stood out to me, but he can be useful, as a decent open ice skater, when his reads are on. Also can make a good first pass, but I also see him as the most scrambly of defensemen position wise at times, which is not what you want from a vet. When Harkins comes back, I think we could get more results form having Poolman and Stanley in the lineup, and there is potential for Morrissey-Poolman to be a solid 2nd PK. I honestly think Beaulieu plays better when he fights, but maybe he's been told not to. He's a guy I want on the team, and I think would be professional enough to handle the #7 role well.

I am a little concerned about the mobility of our defensive units, especially when I see Forbort and Stanley out together in the 2nd period long changes, but we don't play a lot of run and gun, and our biggest obstacle defensively seems to be neutral ice turnovers, shooting us in the foot.

Niku is a place holder to me. I'm not sure he is here for the season. I'd actually like to see him get waived, or traded, just to get an opportunity somewhere else, because there is talent to his game. Just seems like he isn't going to get any confidence playing for the Jets. But if he's happy to feed his family working out, kicking a soccer ball with the players before the game, then no reason to move him, Jets can be creative.

I thought it was interesting that Samberg is starting on the right side with the Moose. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot with Morrissey, if he looks good in the AHL on his offside.

I think Heinola is probably NHL ready, but the Jets know they have an asset in him, and if they can get him in for just spot duty in the NHL this year, I think it's good management to have Ville the Kid playing from age 20-22 on his ELC, maximizing the production. Right now I want to see him dominate the A, and becoming our future PP QB. Sky's the limit and I don't think the Jets will screw up his development. I also think he could be an ace in the hole for the playoffs, and a legitimate replacement for Morrissey should he go down at any time, which is a nice luxury to have.

Kovacevic is a player I'm interested in. I think he could get a game or 2 this year. Could be in the mix as a top 8 defenseman on the Jets for next year.

Chisholm is another one I'd like to watch. He won't get major reps with the talented rookies ahead of him, but I am hoping he has a strong first year. Liked his composure in preseason.

Gawanke could be a major points producer for the Moose this year. If he improved his skating, which was already very good, in acceleration, we might have another 5th round breakthrough.

Luke Green's career seems destined for elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved this year, for an opportunity elsewhere.

I think there's room for another d-man, a vet to play with Morrissey, and strengthen our RD depth, at some point in the season. Unless Samberg steps up. I'm still patient with the process, as defense takes time to improve, and grow. We're a long ways from having the communication and trust levels that Morrissey-Trouba, Chiarot-Buff gained with experience that made them positive impact pairings.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Morrissey is probably best as a #2-type guy

That leaves the following (potential) framework for the next few years:
Morrissey - X
Y - Pionk
Z - DeMelo

If we're lucky, Y and Z can be Heinola and Samberg but I'm not sure if they are necessarily 1D guys (i.e. ideally X is better than Morrissey).
Alternatively, something like Y = Samberg, Z = Stanley, then trade Heinola and some assets in exchange for X
Basically if we could get someone of Buff-level or better for X, we're in a good position.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Morrissey is probably best as a #2-type guy

That leaves the following (potential) framework for the next few years:
Morrissey - X
Y - Pionk
Z - DeMelo

If we're lucky, Y and Z can be Heinola and Samberg but I'm not sure if they are necessarily 1D guys (i.e. ideally X is better than Morrissey).
Alternatively, something like Y = Samberg, Z = Stanley, then trade Heinola and some assets in exchange for X
Basically if we could get someone of Buff-level or better for X, we're in a good position.

Guys of that level are rarely available though. A #1 RD is probably the rarest position in the game.

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
JoMo - Samberg
Forbort - Pionk
Stanley - Heinola

Hopefully the rookies are being sent to the Moose just to get them up to speed, make sure Samberg can play the RHD then around the TDL they come in and change the game.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
JoMo - Samberg
Forbort - Pionk
Stanley - Heinola

Hopefully the rookies are being sent to the Moose just to get them up to speed, make sure Samberg can play the RHD then around the TDL they come in and change the game.

Is that this season or future? If it's this season there's no way we're regularly playing 3 rookies with 2 on the same pairing. If it's in the future, where is DeMelo? (also this season DeMelo will be better than any rookie)

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm with snowkiddin and probably most of the group. Let's see how our D looks if we play significant games with Heinola and/or Samberg in the lineup...

Morrissey Demelo
Forbert Pionk
Heinola Poolman or Samberg Heinola

next year

Morrissey Heinola
Samberg Pionk
Stanley Demelo

Three solid and balanced pairings. Should be average at least,

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Lundmark: Wanted to include him. Stat-watching says he does nothing, but I’ve heard he’s actually been pretty solid in Europe.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I'm less high on Poolman, though, and I think the ceiling may be even higher for Stanley. Once he gets the confidence that only experience can bring to a young defenseman, the offence will come. If not for a bounce here and there, he could already have a half dozen points with the way he gets his shots through. There's no reason to think he isn't first pairing potential in about two to three years (although admittedly, second pairing is the safer bet). I just don't want to lose him to Seattle.

The bottom line on the Jets defense. Lots of good to very good pieces. A couple of throw-aways. No star or special presence, like a Byfuglien. Overall, easily good enough to get us into the playoffs, and with Hellebucyk and if we get improved defense from our forwards, we can still make some noise.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'm with snowkiddin and probably most of the group. Let's see how our D looks if we play significant games with Heinola and/or Samberg in the lineup...

Morrissey Demelo
Forbert Pionk
Heinola Poolman or Samberg Heinola

next year

Morrissey Heinola
Samberg Pionk
Stanley Demelo

Three solid and balanced pairings. Should be average at least,
I like the lineup, although it may be a year too soon. You have Samberg already on the second pairing without even seeing him play. I'd have him switch places with Stanley.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Chisholm is another one I'd like to watch. He won't get major reps with the talented rookies ahead of him, but I am hoping he has a strong first year. Liked his composure in preseason.
This is the under-the-radar guy who could turn into a star. I'm not sure if he's a left or right defenseman, but my super-bold prediction is that he will be in our top pairing in three years. Yes, I know, I haven't seen him play yet... that's what makes the prediction "super bold"!

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think Heinola is probably NHL ready, but the Jets know they have an asset in him, and if they can get him in for just spot duty in the NHL this year, I think it's good management to have Ville the Kid playing from age 20-22 on his ELC, maximizing the production. Right now I want to see him dominate the A, and becoming our future PP QB. Sky's the limit and I don't think the Jets will screw up his development. I also think he could be an ace in the hole for the playoffs, and a legitimate replacement for Morrissey should he go down at any time, which is a nice luxury to have.
Assign this kid to big time strength coach, and pack his lunch bag with a lot of protein shakes.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I like the lineup, although it may be a year too soon. You have Samberg already on the second pairing without even seeing him play. I'd have him switch places with Stanley.
Well if it were me, we'd be seeing him play for 56 games. lol. as it is, we'll probably see some new scrubs in next year while we wait for the rookies to "earn" it.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'd agree with a lot of your assessment. The way Pionk is playing right now, I think he should get more than Morrissey when it is time to renegotiate. He's very intelligent with the puck, is generally in a good position to support the puck, or his d-partner, and our most dangerous defenseman in the offensive zone. If he gets PP1 from Morrissey, I think it's a no brainer.
The thing I like about Pionk is that he plays way bigger than he is. He throws his weight around despite being a Tic-Tac. He kinda reminds me of Brian Campbell from several years ago.

Morrissey is still the same guy everybody was raving about when we still had Byfuglien. I still think his game will come around again. Whenever he plays with dreck, he skates around like he's the only defenseman on the ice. He needs to just concentrate on his game and his game only. When he's on, he's super smooth and his skills are top-notch.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
This is the under-the-radar guy who could turn into a star. I'm not sure if he's a left or right defenseman, but my super-bold prediction is that he will be in our top pairing in three years. Yes, I know, I haven't seen him play yet... that's what makes the prediction "super bold"!
Be bold!

(He's an LHD.)

Reactions: DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well if it were me, we'd be seeing him play for 56 games. lol. as it is, we'll probably see some new scrubs in next year while we wait for the rookies to "earn" it.
It's a bit too risky to have three rookies on our defense right now. But you know what... if Samberg is as poised as Stanley and Heinola have been, you never know. Still, I can't see it happening. Two of them, definitely. All three... that's a stretch.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This defense is indeed good enough to get us as far as our forwards and goaltender can take us. It's an average or slightly below, but with having a vezina grade starter, a competent backup, and an elite top 6 with strong center depth, it should be enough to make us a contender. Absolutely improving it would be great, but it's only going to happen at the speed that is sensible, especially with the salary structure of the team and impending raises coming.

• Morrissey: The guy is a legit top 2 defender, but has shown he needs a partner of similar quality. He has no confidence this season which seems to be a hangover from last year. I think part of this is not having a steady, consistent partner he can rely on and give him the confidence to play his game.
  • Pionk: Ideal second pair guy. Dynamic offensively (that wraparound goal <3), and his defensive game has been really impressive, plus I like his mean streak
  • Forbort: Thank god for this guy. Just a really simple, direct defender, and showing some offensive sense that I didn't realize he had. A wee bit slow but he more than makes up for that with great positioning and stick. Good decisions exiting the zone
  • Demelo: Not going to jump in the rush much or contribute to the offense, but a very capable defender and an important piece in terms of defense corps balance.

As a top 4, there's no superstar, and a couple of guys who are competent there but would be excellent bottom pair guys (amongst the leagues best).

• Poolman: Didn't realize how much this guys game has grown until he was pulled out of the lineup and I saw him come back and play again. He's really great at puck retrievals and using his big body and reach to protect the puck for exits. Great bottom pair option
  • Stanley: I don't think we have any earthly idea what this guys peak is. He's one of those guys that people bet on to fail but they just keep getting better. His improvement over the past 12 -18 months has been extremely impressive and for that reason I am not going to pigeonhole him as a bottom pair guy. Who knows, he could end up being better than Heinola and Samberg. I know it's unlikely but prospect development is neither linear nor fully predicable.
  • Beaulieu: Beaulieu is Beaulieu. I think he's a very versatile defender, who is best suited as a PB guy who comes in occasionally and is injury insurance. He is absolutely not garbage as some continue to parrot here over and over. I do not think he should be a regular in over the likes of Stanley or anyone already listed above.

• Heinola: Magnificent mobility, especially lateral movement, pivots and edgework. He has sublime vision and is really great at puck retrieval, zone exits, and puck distribution. He needs to get stronger, and he needs to acclimatize to the rigors and speed of the NHL game contained in an NHL sized rink. He will be far more likely to reach his potential if we are cautious with him, allow him success against lesser talent in the AHL, and build some size and stamina before he becomes a regular with the Jets.
  • Samberg: Obviously a very mature player for his age. If you could put Heinola in Samberg's body you'd have our best defenseman likely with a bit of playtime. For him, he's victim right now of circumstance, and he needs time to get used to the Jets organization, system, and demands of a pro schedule.
Both of Heinola and Samberg are best served with a full year in the AHL. Heinola will be the first call up, but don't be surprised if the Jets leave Samberg on the Moose unless completely necessary (read, call up Nogier before him). The one thing I like about the Jets is that they understand they are a D and D model, and they know that rushing prospects can really hurt them.

2 things I think the Jets can do right now to improve the D:

Forwards continue to get better at playing D and not turning over the puck in bad spots.
  • I've seen better efforts from all of our forwards defensively, including the big 3 offenders (Wheeler, Connor and Scheifele). I'd like to credit Lowry for this but can't say for sure.
  • The one area we still suck at is turning the puck over in bad spots, namely; 10 feet on either side of our blueline, in the neutral zone, and just inside the offensive blueline. If we can limit these turnovers (in order of importance from first to last), then our defense is in much better position defensively, and can pinch up, tighten their gaps which will lead to less d zone time and less high danger chances against.
The second thing is get a rental at the deadline. I've said this before, but this will be highly dependent on quarantine rules at the deadline, but getting a guy to play in our top 4 who can push Demelo/ Poolman onto the bottom pair will give us a pretty strong unit going into the postseason.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Three steps.....

1) Give Morrissey a good, stable RD partner. Best bet is DeMelo, but Morrissey's game has regressed and I think part of it is that Maurice keeps moving him back and forth between sides and with different partners. It's a problem.

2) Sit Beaulieu. He's had a chance to show he's more than a so-so replacement level player, and he hasn't shown that. He's not a part of the future. He's just a D that never adds something really positive and regularly does ineffective things.

3) Give Heinola and Samberg a shot. I realize that Stanley is blocking them at this point, but there's no excuse for playing Beaulieu over either one at this point. They are both smart and mature players that have excelled at high levels of competition under pressure. They can improve with NHL minutes, and the Jets really need to assess whether either or both of them might be a solution for their top 4. Forbort is just okay on a second pair, but the Jets need more than that, especially looking ahead beyond this season.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This defense is indeed good enough to get us as far as our forwards and goaltender can take us. It's an average or slightly below, but with having a vezina grade starter, a competent backup, and an elite top 6 with strong center depth, it should be enough to make us a contender. Absolutely improving it would be great, but it's only going to happen at the speed that is sensible, especially with the salary structure of the team and impending raises coming.

• Morrissey: The guy is a legit top 2 defender, but has shown he needs a partner of similar quality. He has no confidence this season which seems to be a hangover from last year. I think part of this is not having a steady, consistent partner he can rely on and give him the confidence to play his game.
  • Pionk: Ideal second pair guy. Dynamic offensively (that wraparound goal <3), and his defensive game has been really impressive, plus I like his mean streak
  • Forbort: Thank god for this guy. Just a really simple, direct defender, and showing some offensive sense that I didn't realize he had. A wee bit slow but he more than makes up for that with great positioning and stick. Good decisions exiting the zone
  • Demelo: Not going to jump in the rush much or contribute to the offense, but a very capable defender and an important piece in terms of defense corps balance.

As a top 4, there's no superstar, and a couple of guys who are competent there but would be excellent bottom pair guys (amongst the leagues best).

• Poolman: Didn't realize how much this guys game has grown until he was pulled out of the lineup and I saw him come back and play again. He's really great at puck retrievals and using his big body and reach to protect the puck for exits. Great bottom pair option
  • Stanley: I don't think we have any earthly idea what this guys peak is. He's one of those guys that people bet on to fail but they just keep getting better. His improvement over the past 12 -18 months has been extremely impressive and for that reason I am not going to pigeonhole him as a bottom pair guy. Who knows, he could end up being better than Heinola and Samberg. I know it's unlikely but prospect development is neither linear nor fully predicable.
  • Beaulieu: Beaulieu is Beaulieu. I think he's a very versatile defender, who is best suited as a PB guy who comes in occasionally and is injury insurance. He is absolutely not garbage as some continue to parrot here over and over. I do not think he should be a regular in over the likes of Stanley or anyone already listed above.

• Heinola: Magnificent mobility, especially lateral movement, pivots and edgework. He has sublime vision and is really great at puck retrieval, zone exits, and puck distribution. He needs to get stronger, and he needs to acclimatize to the rigors and speed of the NHL game contained in an NHL sized rink. He will be far more likely to reach his potential if we are cautious with him, allow him success against lesser talent in the AHL, and build some size and stamina before he becomes a regular with the Jets.
  • Samberg: Obviously a very mature player for his age. If you could put Heinola in Samberg's body you'd have our best defenseman likely with a bit of playtime. For him, he's victim right now of circumstance, and he needs time to get used to the Jets organization, system, and demands of a pro schedule.
Both of Heinola and Samberg are best served with a full year in the AHL. Heinola will be the first call up, but don't be surprised if the Jets leave Samberg on the Moose unless completely necessary (read, call up Nogier before him). The one thing I like about the Jets is that they understand they are a D and D model, and they know that rushing prospects can really hurt them.

2 things I think the Jets can do right now to improve the D:

Forwards continue to get better at playing D and not turning over the puck in bad spots.
  • I've seen better efforts from all of our forwards defensively, including the big 3 offenders (Wheeler, Connor and Scheifele). I'd like to credit Lowry for this but can't say for sure.
  • The one area we still suck at is turning the puck over in bad spots, namely; 10 feet on either side of our blueline, in the neutral zone, and just inside the offensive blueline. If we can limit these turnovers (in order of importance from first to last), then our defense is in much better position defensively, and can pinch up, tighten their gaps which will lead to less d zone time and less high danger chances against.
The second thing is get a rental at the deadline. I've said this before, but this will be highly dependent on quarantine rules at the deadline, but getting a guy to play in our top 4 who can push Demelo/ Poolman onto the bottom pair will give us a pretty strong unit going into the postseason.

Only modesty prevents me from calling your post brilliant, because it sounds, word for word, exactly what I think.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Three steps.....

1) Give Morrissey a good, stable RD partner. Best bet is DeMelo, but Morrissey's game has regressed and I think part of it is that Maurice keeps moving him back and forth between sides and with different partners. It's a problem.

2) Sit Beaulieu. He's had a chance to show he's more than a so-so replacement level player, and he hasn't shown that. He's not a part of the future. He's just a D that never adds something really positive and regularly does ineffective things.

3) Give Heinola and Samberg a shot. I realize that Stanley is blocking them at this point, but there's no excuse for playing Beaulieu over either one at this point. They are both smart and mature players that have excelled at high levels of competition under pressure. They can improve with NHL minutes, and the Jets really need to assess whether either or both of them might be a solution for their top 4. Forbort is just okay on a second pair, but the Jets need more than that, especially looking ahead beyond this season.
The problem with the Heinola or Samberg over Beaulieu argument is Tucker Poolman. Unless we keep doing the 11/7 thing, which I do not like because for this corps to be effective they need stability, there isn't that extra spot for them. Other than that, I agree with you.

We know that Stanley is going to be the scratch though, as Maurice has already shown his cards.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The problem with the Heinola or Samberg over Beaulieu argument is Tucker Poolman. Unless we keep doing the 11/7 thing, which I do not like because for this corps to be effective they need stability, there isn't that extra spot for them. Other than that, I agree with you.

We know that Stanley is going to be the scratch though, as Maurice has already shown his cards.
jets just assigned Stanley to the taxi squad.
That may be a $ savings thing or it may be signs that Beaulieu or Die is our motto.
if it's the latter, i'll have to stop watching games for a bit. it's just maddening.

Stanley has warts, but the dude's done a pretty good job in moving the puck. some of his passes have been really nice.
Beaulieu's contribution yesterday? killing momentum by flipping the puck from the neutral zone OVER the glass behind Ottawa's goalie.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad