Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder what cap looks like if they resign Dillion.

Depends on a lot of things.
But as our only big bodied, physical Dman I think we need him. Samberg has size but doesn't play a particularly physical game. The rest are all on the small size - unless we play Stan.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
But as our only big bodied, physical Dman I think we need him. Samberg has size but doesn't play a particularly physical game. The rest are all on the small size - unless we play Stan.
Interesting - I think Samberg plays very physical... but him and Schmidt are still sheltered so maybe it's not as apparent

In the end I suspect it's redundant if Dillon wants to be here... I think he will get a raise that we cant afford

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
And we don't have anyone on the Moose? I mean we have an expensive goalie a very well paid 3rd line, you have to wonder at what point the cap becomes an issue. I mean they'll probably have to bridge Cole and hope Ehlers is cheap. Lafallo is probably a cap casualty.
People keep talking about how physicality is being phased out and small D like Heinola, Morrissey are the wave of the future.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And we don't have anyone on the Moose? I mean we have an expensive goalie a very well paid 3rd line, you have to wonder at what point the cap becomes an issue. I mean they'll probably have to bridge Cole and hope Ehlers is cheap. Lafallo is probably a cap casualty.
People keep talking about how physicality is being phased out and small D like Heinola, Morrissey are the wave of the future.

More offensive Dmen are the wave of the future. Not necessarily small though that often comes with the territory. They are smaller and more mobile. But I don't think anyone is pushing the idea of going with 6 of those. The ideal number is probably 3.

Personally, I would like the other 3 to not give up too much mobility and puck movement in exchange for size. I want to see 6'2 ish more so than 6'5 ish. I don't need much scoring but I do want them to be effective at moving the puck.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting - I think Samberg plays very physical... but him and Schmidt are still sheltered so maybe it's not as apparent

In the end I suspect it's redundant if Dillon wants to be here... I think he will get a raise that we cant afford

Then so be it. But DeMelo is the guy who has been a key part of a 1st pair for the last several years. He is more likely the one to need a bigger raise.

Samberg has size. But he doesn't play a particularly physical style. Not that he doesn't use his size but he doesn't punish or intimidate anyone, IMO.

Reactions: WolfHouse

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think Demello is a product of coach Bonus defensive system.

If another team pays up big for him thisUFA off season …. They will be disappointed ☹️ … when they find out they just got some ordinary crackers and not the fancy type.

Is Heinola skating with the team …. When is he expected back..,

I would like to see more Chisholm and a trade of Stanley…

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Demello is a product of coach Bonus defensive system.

If another team pays up big for him thisUFA off season …. They will be disappointed ☹️ … when they find out they just got some ordinary crackers and not the fancy type.

Is Heinola skating with the team …. When is he expected back..,

I would like to see more Chisholm and a trade of Stanley…
Bones said Kup will be back before Ville.

I'd offer DeMelo a 3 x 3.75m contract.
I'd offer Dillon a 2 x 4m contract.

Reactions: trebendan

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Demelo said he does on the video the jets did last time with Sarah.

Dillon was rumoured to not be happy about coming here.

Maybe not happy to come here but a lot can have changed in the meantime. He is playing on a contender again and everything we can see during a game looks like he is happy here.

Why isn't DeMelo signed then? My guess is he wants to be paid to be here. His play and his role warrant a pretty big raise. This will be his last chance to cash in. I doubt he is asking for Norris candidate money but probably possibly more than Chevy wants to give him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He does

Thanks for the link.
Great read.
Dillon sure looked like he didn't want to be here when first traded here.

Reactions: hn777

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I think Chevy gets both guys signed. This is arguably the best defense weve ever had. Weve had flashier players on the back end but defensively this is the best weve ever played. Demelo and Dillon are a big part of that.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
No way I offer dillion more. Demelo has been on top pairing. Don’t want to rock the boat.

Yeah agreed. Both have been valuable but DeMelo to me has more valuable in more mins. Maybe Chevy can get them both on board for the same price as Nino like Scheif and Helle signing :laugh:

Reactions: AlaskaJet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i love dillon's game & would like to re-sign him..... but if not, i think he's someone who i think you can get some cap saving if needed (i haven't looked into the cap for next year to much tbh). Samberg has been a great 3rd pair defender, he'd have to get promoted to 2nd pair where I THINK he can flourish. and then can you find a cheap solid 3rd pair LD somewhere? probably.

ultimately depends what he wants on a new deal. Schmidt would be the ideal guy to move however idk how likely that will be. again, if cap savings is required.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I’m afraid Dillon’s going to be a cap casualty.
Only way to get rid of Schmidt would be for another bad contract (e.g. Kuznetsov) or wait for the buyout window.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think Chevy gets both guys signed. This is arguably the best defense weve ever had. Weve had flashier players on the back end but defensively this is the best weve ever played. Demelo and Dillon are a big part of that.
A big (huge) part of that solid play is how our team 5v5 is structured and playing -
IMO, our D remains our weakness - and Chevy will likely be looking to add at the deadline.
When you can get everyone playing a defensive style - responsible in both ends, working hard, everyone looks pretty good (forwards, d and goal).

ghyrti

Oct 21, 2014
Came across an article from last week by Travis Yost saying how Morrissey/DeMelo and were one of the best defensive pairs in the league for GF% at even strength. Pulled up the data after yesterdays game as he used 300 minutes for a cutoff and wanted to see how many minutes Schmidt/Samberg had. Here's the top 11 pairings as of January 5th for 5v5 GF% with a minimum of 300 minutes.
PairingGPMinutesGF%
Erik KarlssonMarcus PetterssonPIT
37​
418:52​
69.44​
Nate SchmidtDylan SambergWPG
31​
302:28​
69.23​
Dylan DeMeloJosh MorrisseyWPG
37​
572:23​
68.75​
Noah DobsonAlexander RomanovNYI
38​
333:15​
66.67​
Vladislav GavrikovMatt RoyL.A
30​
419:02​
64.86​
Filip HronekQuintin HughesVAN
38​
527:18​
63.33​
Hampus LindholmBrandon CarloBOS
37​
382:01​
62.5​
Jonas BrodinBrock FaberMIN
25​
378:45​
61.29​
Brent BurnsJaccob SlavinCAR
38​
546:27​
60​
Jacob TroubaK'Andre MillerNYR
35​
546:50​
59.57​
Brenden DillonNeal PionkWPG
37​
440:44​
58.97​

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Came across an article from last week by Travis Yost saying how Morrissey/DeMelo and were one of the best defensive pairs in the league for GF% at even strength. Pulled up the data after yesterdays game as he used 300 minutes for a cutoff and wanted to see how many minutes Schmidt/Samberg had. Here's the top 11 pairings as of January 5th for 5v5 GF% with a minimum of 300 minutes.
PairingGPMinutesGF%
Erik KarlssonMarcus PetterssonPIT
37​
418:52​
69.44​
Nate SchmidtDylan SambergWPG
31​
302:28​
69.23​
Dylan DeMeloJosh MorrisseyWPG
37​
572:23​
68.75​
Noah DobsonAlexander RomanovNYI
38​
333:15​
66.67​
Vladislav GavrikovMatt RoyL.A
30​
419:02​
64.86​
Filip HronekQuintin HughesVAN
38​
527:18​
63.33​
Hampus LindholmBrandon CarloBOS
37​
382:01​
62.5​
Jonas BrodinBrock FaberMIN
25​
378:45​
61.29​
Brent BurnsJaccob SlavinCAR
38​
546:27​
60​
Jacob TroubaK'Andre MillerNYR
35​
546:50​
59.57​
Brenden DillonNeal PionkWPG
37​
440:44​
58.97​
Yeah with the way Helle has been playing, the Jets will probably rate real well all-around on the GA side. but defensively the team has been v good imo.

Schmidt was getting shit on a bit earlier in the year but he's been fine since then.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah with the way Helle has been playing, the Jets will probably rate real well all-around on the GA side. but defensively the team has been v good imo.

Schmidt was getting shit on a bit earlier in the year but he's been fine since then.
biggest problem with schmidt is that he can't hit the net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad