Post-Game Talk: Winnipeg Jets at New York Rangers 11/1/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I am DEFINITELY not ready to jump on board with the "bad trade" opinion yet. It's not like the Rangers look that bad, we are not talking about a lottery pick (yet? added this for superstitious purposes.) But to completely dismiss the risk of trading two 1sts for a 38 y/o player is equally ridiculous, IMO.

Clearly it's very tough to say the 2014 run wasn't worth the picks. But its long term effects are still very much up in the air.

I agree and as ranger fans we should definitely be worried about the long effects of just giving up draft picks. We need to stop the trend as much as possible.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Marty is fine. For a guy who has been playing out of position he hasn't put up bad numbers at all.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I would let MSL walk after this year. The end is near for him. He's a terrible board player. He can't score anymore. Really becoming disappointed in that trade. Cally and 1 first rounder was plenty. Sather got bent over.

Chill out. MSL literally isn't terrible at anything in the game of hockey. He's snake bitten, he's getting chances but missing by inches. He just needs to pot one and he'll be fine.

He's playing center. Once he can slide back into his normal position he will be fine.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Jets are hot garbage. Got thoroughly dominated against a team with 4 dmen that make up the 2nd and 3rd pairs.

Yeah, but at the same time it is now a "Paul Maurice Team" and they did a real good job taking away the space in front of Pavlec. They played a bit of Torts hockey, we were let to dominate them and sure we got a handful of prime scoring chances but they still kept things together.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hunwick and Kostka played really well.

We can see the difference here for Ds between playing 12 minutes a night and 20-25 minutes a night. The former is in many senses a lot tougher than the later...

Nice to see Kostka get a bit of redemption too. He is a much better D than he showed early in the season. He is not a good NHL D and is probably going to be career minor leaguer, but he should be able to hold a spot in lack of better alternatives and he showed that last night.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lee Stempniak has looked better and better the bigger role he has been given, and all of a sudden he finds himself with a lot of responsibilities.

But I don't think he was good at all last night. He had 4 give aways on the PP, and at least a couple of awful giveaways 5 on 5.

For as much as we require from this team, its not easy when a player finds himself in way over his head. A give away on a PP is 20-30 seconds lost of that form, Stemp having 4 negates a lot of PP time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The ice wasn't good last night, on better ice I think Hagelin would have scored and probably more than one...

Zuccarello is a bit hurt out there.

Hayes had a better game, but I don't like the "spot" he is in. I see a player out there who is playing a "damage control game". Don't get me wrong, I love Hayes as a player and the potential he have. But he is still a bit raw and its very important to have a young kid in the "right spot" at this point of their careers. Hayes seems a bit afraid to make mistakes out there and he is seldomly acting instinctively on the ice, you don't want that to keep going on and become the norm for him. Unless he can break out of that in the very near future, I would want him in the AHL for a while.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Marty is fine. For a guy who has been playing out of position he hasn't put up bad numbers at all.

2 goals in like 30 games for us is fine? The guy was top 5 in scoring when we got him. He's completely fallen off a cliff

SupersonicMonkey*

“@BlueshirtBanter: Rangers (with 2.5 NHL defenseman) dominated tonight. Don't hang your head over that lost second point.â€

Exactly. Some people are going nuts for no reason. It was a great game both ways, and both goalies played excellent.

This is why they are both deserving of the shutouts they earned tonight. Rangers just couldn't get it done in the shootout, it happens.

The bigger problem is McD and whether he needs surgery or not. Sather has to make a move...

Agree.

Pavalec was incredible and stole the game for Winnipeg.

The Rangers played a gutsy game. The defense was outstanding. You can't ask for a better performance.

Agree, Sather needs to pull some kind of magic in a deal now. Unless we plan to roll with two rookie defensemen, Kostka, and Hunwick making up 3 or 4 of our 6 defensemen for the next month or more.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Agree.

Pavalec was incredible and stole the game for Winnipeg.

The Rangers played a gutsy game. The defense was outstanding. You can't ask for a better performance.

Agree, Sather needs to pull some kind of magic in a deal now. Unless we plan to roll with two rookie defensemen, Kostka, and Hunwick making up 3 or 4 of our 6 defensemen for the next month or more.

Agreed on all points.

The forwards are allowed to have an off game. They've contributed plenty throughout the whole start.

SupersonicMonkey*

Agreed on all points.

The forwards are allowed to have an off game. They've contributed plenty throughout the whole start.

I think the forwards were good, too, though last night. They generated a lot of pressure and just got beat by a great performance from Pavalec.

I think Vigneault had a brain malfunction in the shootout. Dominic Moore? With Duclair, Kreider, Brassard on the bench...

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I missed this one on account of being hilariously drunk.. How did we put 38 on net and not get one in ?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Did Duclair play at all in the 3rd? He had a couple brutal d-zone giveaways and I don't recall seeing him much after the last one to Buff.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
The ice wasn't good last night, on better ice I think Hagelin would have scored and probably more than one...

Zuccarello is a bit hurt out there.

Hayes had a better game, but I don't like the "spot" he is in. I see a player out there who is playing a "damage control game". Don't get me wrong, I love Hayes as a player and the potential he have. But he is still a bit raw and its very important to have a young kid in the "right spot" at this point of their careers. Hayes seems a bit afraid to make mistakes out there and he is seldomly acting instinctively on the ice, you don't want that to keep going on and become the norm for him. Unless he can break out of that in the very near future, I would want him in the AHL for a while.

What`s badering him?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
2 goals in like 30 games for us is fine? The guy was top 5 in scoring when we got him. He's completely fallen off a cliff

Totally agree dont know how you can think any other way.
And the two goals he scored were not impressive goals at all.
Not Msl or goal scorers goals.
And it's not like he doesn't see top minutes and powerplay minutes .

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Do you care to speculate what physically happend to him since he fell of that cliff from one day to another?

Or could it be that environment actually have a bigger impact on scoring than people on HFboards (and in media for that part too) thinks?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Do you care to speculate what physically happend to him since he fell of that cliff from one day to another?

Or could it be that environment actually have a bigger impact on scoring than people on HFboards (and in media for that part too) thinks?

Or maybe he's 40 years and is declining?:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad