Post-Game Talk: Winnipeg Jets at New York Rangers 11/1/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I'm glad this depletion of the rearguards happened against the Jets, that's all I can say.
Regardless of the opposition, the defence did play great. You could see the way they stepped it up.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Well that was a ****ing waste of time. Hate getting shut out so much.

Biiiiiig tip of the hat to all four dmen (yes even Kostka). But special shoutout to Staal and Hunwick who elevated their games. Staal had a $6M night.

Rangers played really well for a lot of that game. Flying in the first, just flying.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
It was a fun game of hockey, at least IMO. Obviously the number of games McD misses is more important than the point/shootout; I'd love to wake up to the best possible prognosis.

Sekera's the obvious name but unless they get us to pay out the nose I'm not sure I see it from Carolina's perspective. It's not a market that will show up to watch an uncompetitive hockey team.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It was a fun game of hockey, at least IMO. Obviously the number of games McD misses is more important than the point/shootout; I'd love to wake up to the best possible prognosis.

Sekera's the obvious name but unless they get us to pay out the nose I'm not sure I see it from Carolina's perspective. It's not a market that will show up to watch an uncompetitive hockey team.

Carolina sucks. They can gain some picks for the future, and give up a D to us. It's a win-win.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Gotta give them credit for the effort they made tonight. They played their ***** off, and I thought Rick was going to put this team on his back again for the third. I'd have liked to see a little more of Hayes and Duclair because I thought they both looked decent, and Hayes made some solid defensive plays. They got beat by the hot goalie tonight. They dominated possession the entire game except for maybe a stretch here of there. Not much to complain about except for not finishing.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I'm just frustrated that we were clearly dominating over the course of the game and had numerous chances to score where we just didn't. And to add insult to injury, i have no idea wtf AV was doing during the shootout. Where was Brass? Or Duclair?

But overall, I'm thrilled we got the point and Hank got a shutout. The D played their hearts out and they deserve so much praise. It's just unfortunate we couldn't get that second point. I'm more worried out our D's situation. We need to get some fresh blood up here, because our D has to be totally beat right now.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@stevezipay: Both McDonagh and Klein will have MRIs tomorrow. AV says they'll make decision from there.”

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@AGrossRecord: To clarify earlier tweet: shoulder separations typically don't require surgery, a shoulder dislocation might. McD separated shoulder.”

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Glass should've been all over Kane the next shift after the hit I don't care if it was clean when you run your Captain hard into the boards and separate his shoulder you must pay this team doesn't do that and it pisses me off

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
MSL was, for me, our worst player tonight. This crap with him playing C has got to stop and stop fast. I think he's finished even as a shadow of the goalscorer he was with Tampa and if we're to rely on him just for assists, he needs to be back in his normal place instead of covering the middle area, which he clearly can't do. He has no sense of positioning there and on defense he keeps getting drawn to the boards and leaves the middle wide open. He also has zero presence in front of the opponents' net for rebounds and loose pucks, can never win a board battle either. And that breakaway...What the **** did he call that?

Yzerman must be laughing his ass off with how he fleeced us for two picks in a rich draft and Callahan. Sather is single-handedly making Tampa a contender.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Glass should've been all over Kane the next shift after the hit I don't care if it was clean when you run your Captain hard into the boards and separate his shoulder you must pay this team doesn't do that and it pisses me off

I felt this for a while too. The sad thing is this just doesn't happen anymore. Especially when you have one guy who can send a message. I hear ya and it frustrates the hell out of me but it just wasn't gonna happen.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Kane made a very good, hard, clean check. I'm more upset at McDonagh looking behind him to check the play, and still not bracing himself against the boards. He left himself in a very vulnerable position. Maybe his d partner didn't give him a heads up of Kane closing in, but you still can't leave yourself in that position near the boards.

Anyways, here's to a speedy recovery for Mac Truck

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
John Moore sucks. Clearly he's not a vital piece. Getting a guy like Sekera will allow them to use him in McDonagh's place until he comes back, then have three 20-minute pairings keeping everybody fresh.

Short window. I would trade Miller for Sekera but only if a 3rd or 4th comes along with Sekera. Then you can possibly move Staal if you dont think you can re-sign him. Then offer Sekera a cheaper contract than what Staal,will likely get in the open market.

I hate doing things this way but McDonagh being hurt and no 1st means you need to save the season by all means necessary.

The other option is trading away the UFA's if the season is lost, but Henrik is too good for a lost season.

I think they'll be fine but only if Mac is healthy. If he's gone for 3/4 of the season, you need Sekera.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
MSL was, for me, our worst player tonight. This crap with him playing C has got to stop and stop fast. I think he's finished even as a shadow of the goalscorer he was with Tampa and if we're to rely on him just for assists, he needs to be back in his normal place instead of covering the middle area, which he clearly can't do. He has no sense of positioning there and on defense he keeps getting drawn to the boards and leaves the middle wide open. He also has zero presence in front of the opponents' net for rebounds and loose pucks, can never win a board battle either. And that breakaway...What the **** did he call that?

Yzerman must be laughing his ass off with how he fleeced us for two picks in a rich draft and Callahan. Sather is single-handedly making Tampa a contender.

Him playing center prevents him from driving play up the ice. He's terrible trying to make plays from the center of the ice. The guy has made an almost 1000 point career from working down low to the right of the net.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

I'm surprised people don't see the issue with the trade. I really wish we still had that 2015 1st round pick right now.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think calling Hunwick a .5 NHL Defenseman is a pretty low blow. I'd argue he's outplayed almost all of our regular defenseman pretty consistently.

I don't know if the advanced stats play that out, but it sure looks like that to the eye test.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Brutal night to start, but all things considered they dominated the Jets. Shame they couldn't finish.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm surprised people don't see the issue with the trade. I really wish we still had that 2015 1st round pick right now.

I am sure this opinion is exactly what you held back in the spring during the playoff run and not a result of 20/20 hindsight...:laugh:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@NYRangers: #NYR Notes: Dan Girardi played the most minutes he ever has in a regular season game tonight--34 minutes 50 seconds”

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
We got a shutout, a point in an OTL game that many teams would have been blown out of after losing 2 of there D-men early in a game that comes on top of having 2 of the other top d-men out due to injury and suspension.

We have 2 call up defensemen that have not seen much ice time, one of which was alreadly playing on egg shells due to gaffes that have cost us a game. Both of those guys stepped up their games and played excellent.

This turned into an all out team defensive effort and we managed to generate a few decent scoring chances. I would have loved the win but I see no reason to be upset at the out come of this game.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I am sure this opinion is exactly what you held back in the spring during the playoff run and not a result of 20/20 hindsight...:laugh:

I am DEFINITELY not ready to jump on board with the "bad trade" opinion yet. It's not like the Rangers look that bad, we are not talking about a lottery pick (yet? added this for superstitious purposes.) But to completely dismiss the risk of trading two 1sts for a 38 y/o player is equally ridiculous, IMO.

Clearly it's very tough to say the 2014 run wasn't worth the picks. But its long term effects are still very much up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad