News Article: Winnipeg Jets: 2013 NHL Draft War Room

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias

Also, in that very same year they only made two UFA attainments... both were only Europeans...

We are talking about the Draft here not established players. It's a known fact that the Jets don't like developing European players.

I've spoken to the Jets Head European scout. He said don't expect Chevy to pick any Euro born players for the third consecutive year, but hey there is always a chance.

Remember Frederik Pettersson-Wentzel? He's developing into an elite goaltender in Sweden and the Jets didn't even bother with retaining his rights. Is local boy Jason Kasdorf gonna mature into our goalie of the future? didnt think so.

I hate coming off as rude, but this is a problem in the Jets organization and I just wanted to get it out there.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
We are talking about the Draft here not established players. It's a known fact that the Jets don't like developing European players.

I've spoken to the Jets Head European scout. He said don't expect Chevy to pick any Euro born players for the third consecutive year, but hey there is always a chance.

Remember Frederik Pettersson-Wentzel? He's developing into an elite goaltender in Sweden and the Jets didn't even bother with retaining his rights. Is local boy Jason Kasdorf gonna mature into our goalie of the future? didnt think so.

I hate coming off as rude, but this is a problem in the Jets organization and I just wanted to get it out there.

Disclaimer: I'm not a kool-aid drinker nor have I supported many of the Jets decisions (including dropping FPW and some draft selections)...

I was just saying using two samples in a draft is terrible sample size for making such a claim, which is true.

The head scout is likely right, as he's into the know more than either of us (cptn obvious me), but they did increase their Euro scouting this season... although I think most of it was pro-level.

PS I don't know about "elite" for FPW

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
It's something that most of us probably follow very interested. If they really don't take not one european player out of 10 draft picks, I'll start to wonder a bit for sure.

I never understood why they didn't retain FPW's rights.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
For the record even though I am a writer...I'm also a big Jets fan and hope nothing but the best for our team.

I'm hoping they prove me wrong and pick lots of Europeans!

Maybe "Elite" isn't the right term for FPW and I may be a little biased because he's a friend of mine. But he is a very good goalie and should have been kept.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I don't see how anyone can say somehting like "it's a known fact" with any sort of accuracy. How do you know?

How do we know that they really wanted to take Dansk, Collberg, Pokka, or Aberg with their 2nd pick last year and they were taken?

How do we know they didn't really wanted Zibanajed in 2011?

Maybe they said don't expect Euro players because they don't expect a Euro to be the BPA at our spots?

Plenty of reasons before jumping to a xenophobic conclusion.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The great Fedrik Petterson-Wentzel and all of his 16 games played last year is turning into a budding superstar...

Meanwhile Kasdorf has a breakout season with RPI..

Last edited by a moderator:

Prairiehockey

Jun 9, 2011
Winnipeg
The great Fedrik Petterson-Wentzel and all of his 16 games played last year is turning into a budding superstar...

Meanwhile Kasdorf has a breakout season with RPI..

^this

FPW is an undersized middle of the road goalie prospect....lets not get carried away.

If Chevy has such a hate on for Euros then please explain the FA signings of Olkinuora, Jokinen, and Ponikarovsky.

The reality is the orginization was seriously lacking in size and it needed to be addressed. To think we will never draft euros because they are euros is just silly.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
If all our players are North American picks this year I think it would be fair to ask Chevy what is up with that. Every other GM has picked at least one player from outside NA during Chevy's tenure and a huge number (like 90%) have picked one or more each draft year. Curious to know if it's coincidence or if there's some theory behind it.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
What time are we expected to make our pick? I unfortunately have to work till 5 today.

Looking back at last years draft GDT, the draft began at 7pm ET / 6pm CT and Dallas picked #13 Faksa at nearly 9pm ET / 10pm CT

Could be almost 2 hours in before we make our pick. With all the different angles of coverage they do, it's a slow moving process.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Looking back at last years draft GDT, the draft began at 7pm ET / 6pm CT and Dallas picked #13 Faksa at nearly 9pm ET / 10pm CT

Could be almost 2 hours in before we make our pick. With all the different angles of coverage they do, it's a slow moving process.

Every time I look at your avatar, I imagine that is what you'll be like (hands up on face/head) when one the players we'd like is off the board.:laugh: Exciting/stressful all at once.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Every time I look at your avatar, I imagine that is what you'll be like (hands up on face/head) when one the players we'd like is off the board.:laugh: Exciting/stressful all at once.

:laugh:

There seems to be quite a few very good players in this draft, but we'll see. I'd really like Max Domi, Gauthier intriques me, Horvat looks very solid, as do Lindholm, Wennberg, etc. I'll be pretty happy with many of these propsects. And, like you, I also believe we see Chevy pull the trigger on a trade.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Unless Mantha had a terrible interview I think you have to go for the high-end skill at that pick. Consistency is something you develop as you mature - provided the scouting reports saying he lacks consistency don't mean he lacks work ethic off the ice, a completely separate matter.

I'd also be very happy with Zadarov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad