News Article: Winnipeg Jets: 2013 NHL Draft War Room

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like the idea of a big tough team but I would like to think a blended approach is always smart and there should be room on a Jets team for a Wennberg type IMHO. Nobody is going to run him out of the rink and its always nice to add smart, skilled players too.

I do too, but I like the sort of "tough" that we see with players like Bergeron and Toews. Horvat and Wennberg might fit that profile nicely. They appear to be very competitive.

Shinkaruk is a bit of a wild-card for me. His skill-set is very high, and there don't seem to be concerns about his will and intensity. He's already a team captain. The Jets could use a bit of offensive juice on the top two lines.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That's what I'm asking you.

Wennberg has similar size, on ice work ethic and reported character to Horvat.

I am not sure if that is the case though. Wennberg is a very complete player no doubt. I would say Wennberg is more talented offensively. But one guy is 175 pounds while the other is almost 210. That isn't the same.

I worry about a guy like Wennberg being a tweener in the NHL. If he can't find an offensive game here is capable enough to be a bottom 6 guy in the NHL? Do you really want a bottom 6 guy at this point in the draft too? I would rather have Domi then either of these guys because I think he is more of a home run type pick.

But if I want the safer pick I would go with Horvat. Wennberg reminds me too much of mid 1st round Swedish forwards like Gustavasson,Tendeby,Backlund,Josefson and Johansson. The only guy that seemed to pan out so far is Johansson on the Caps and he lines up with Ovechkin a lot.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am not sure if that is the case though. Wennberg is a very complete player no doubt. I would say Wennberg is more talented offensively. But one guy is 175 pounds while the other is almost 210. That isn't the same.

I worry about a guy like Wennberg being a tweener in the NHL. If he can't find an offensive game here is capable enough to be a bottom 6 guy in the NHL? Do you really want a bottom 6 guy at this point in the draft too? I would rather have Domi then either of these guys because I think he is more of a home run type pick.

But if I want the safer pick I would go with Horvat. Wennberg reminds me too much of mid 1st round Swedish forwards like Gustavasson,Tendeby,Backlund,Josefson and Johansson. The only guy that seemed to pan out so far is Johansson on the Caps and he lines up with Ovechkin a lot.
I believe at last measure per the ISS:

Horvat was 6'0, 200 lbs
Wennberg was 6'1 195 lbs

I do understand the tweener concerns, but wouldn't the same apply to Horvat IF you think Horvat has less offensive upside?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Joe was that his official draft combine weight? I have 3 reports and the weight range for him is between 185 to 195 height range 6'1"-6'2"

Every guy can bust for sure but I see him as an effective middle six player at some point.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Just from what I have in front of me but it could change. I still don't care too much for none top end swedish forwards. I find they are too bland a player for the NHL

Aela*

I want Horvat or Zadorov. Periodddd.

Domi will succeed in the NHL as a LW or a LW who can play center decently well but isn't that great in the dot (Kessel-like). I think we have a lot of LW depth in our top 6 and don't need anymore. Risto would be nice but he plays as a RHD. Nurse would be nice but he'll likely be gone and I like Zadorov much more then him tbh. Zadorov is exactly what we need...really hope we draft him.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just from what I have in front of me but it could change. I still don't care too much for none top end swedish forwards. I find they are too bland a player for the NHL

Fair enough it makes for a fun debate.....he could end up bland or we could land a gem like Loui Eriksson who went in the 2nd round ;)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Interesting about Shinkaruk Joe. I didn't really think of him a lot because I assumed he will be gone.
Offensive upside doesn't seem to be in question, I would just like to hear from the people who know, how they think he will physically handle the NHL.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I don't really understand the anti-Sweeden thing. There are a ton of interesting Swedes in the NHL. Landing a player like Loui Eriksson or whoever else at 13 would be really nice IMO.

Zetterburg, Eriksson, Hagelin, Franzen, Alfredsson, Backstrom, Sedin, Sedin, Zibanejad, Landeskog, Johansson, Stalberg, Hornqvist.

I'd say there is a ton of variety in their play styles.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Fair enough it makes for a fun debate.....he could end up bland or we could land a gem like Loui Eriksson who went in the 2nd round ;)

That is a valid point. I would love to get a few value picks in the 2nd. Not that Wennberg will be there. But how about a Lehkonen or Bjorkstrand or Buchnevich?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Really like to see us take a forward with our #13 and preferably at #43 as well. Domi/Wennberg/Horvat with Gauthier/Lazar/Zykov (cuz he'a RW) as major reaches.

Will Lehkonen make it down to #58/60? If we're going with a D in the second round I wouldn't mind Santini at 43 or Theodore. Hayden at 60 would be nice - big center and Chevy likes his Americans.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
There could be really good players in the second. Some of the D look really good at our spot at 43.
Would love some more 2nd round picks.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lehkonen looks like a beauty, but the concussion stuff scares me.

It does but we have those extra 2nds. Not a bad way to take a flyer on a guy that could really be something

I agree. I'd love to see them nab him at 59 or 61. Would probably wanna stay safer at 43.

Sounds like he has grown this year as well. I would kill for him at 59 or 61 but he feels too talented to fall that far no?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Sounds like he has grown this year as well. I would kill for him at 59 or 61 but he feels too talented to fall that far no?

Depends on how people view his concussion problems. 59 might be a stretch but you might move up and move your extra 3rd to get him.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Anthony Mantha is actually 21st in GPG among all forwards, drafted out of the CHL over the last thirty years.

#19 Spezza 0.74
#20 Seguin 0.73
#21 Mantha 0.72

Crazy stat for a guy who's projected to go outside of the Top 10.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
In the past two drafts, the Jets haven't taken a single European.

Don't expect that to change this year...they have a bias that developing North Americans is the way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad