News Article: Winnipeg Jets: 2013 NHL Draft War Room

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
THW's Eastern hockey bird dog E-Mac looks at an alternative perspective for the Jets at the 2013 NHL Draft table.

Looks at the following elements:
Major Needs
Likely Draft Positions and Potential Picks
The Major Team Decision Makers
The Big Club – Current Roster
Top 10 Prospects
The Last Three Drafts

Link to full article

Comments and constructive criticism expected and wanted...

(Apologies in advance if any spelling errors; tried to double and triple check as much as possible. Not looking to make excuses, but my neighbour hood was one of those hit in Calgary flooding and it's been a crazy few days, to say the least. But the draft goes on...)
___

*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index
**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
THW's Eastern hockey bird dog E-Mac looks at an alternative perspective for the Jets at the 2013 NHL Draft table.

Major Needs
Top 10 Prospects
The Last Three Drafts

Link to full article

(Apologies in advance if any spelling errors; tried to double and triple check as much as possible. Not looking to make excuses, but my neighbour hood was one of those hit in Calgary flooding and it's been a crazy few days, to say the least. But the draft goes on...)
___

I like Bo Horvat, I think he has making of Patrice Bergeron, a warrior that plays the game hard and does really well in the playoffs like Patrice Bergeron.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Major Needs
Top 10 Prospects
The Last Three Drafts

Link to full article

___

I like the following 4 for the Jets at #13:

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Domi
Horvat

If they are all gone, as they might be, I think that I might be inclined to trade down a bit or look to players like Wennberg or Shinkaruk if that doesn't pan out.

I could see the Jets trading up a few spots to try to nab Ristolainen (or maybe Zadorov), or try for a more major trade to get up high enough to nab Lindholm or Monahan.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
My hope is that we use our 2nds+ to move into the mid-late first and snag Anthony Mantha. I think he is going to be the steal of the draft. Nose for the net and a big forward.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I like the following 4 for the Jets at #13:

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Domi
Horvat

If they are all gone, as they might be, I think that I might be inclined to trade down a bit or look to players like Wennberg or Shinkaruk if that doesn't pan out.

I could see the Jets trading up a few spots to try to nab Ristolainen (or maybe Zadorov), or try for a more major trade to get up high enough to nab Lindholm or Monahan.

Wennberg has climbed to the 12-14 range on a lot of lists. Not sure you can trade down to get him.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
There are many good choices at #13. I would be very happy with Shinkaruk or Domi. Would be happy with Erne, Zykov, Ristolainen or Zadorov. Do not want Gauthier or Lazar.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wennberg has climbed to the 12-14 range on a lot of lists. Not sure you can trade down to get him.

I wasn't suggesting that...

I might be inclined to trade down a bit or look to players like Wennberg or Shinkaruk if that doesn't pan out.

If Risto, Zadorov, Domi and Horvat are gone, then both Wennberg and Shinkaruk are likely to be there at #13.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
For me, Wennberg came out of left field as I just started hearing his name this week. What is the scouting report on this guy and what is his upside?

McKenzies says:

Can play all three forward positions. He's an excellent skater who has a free and easy stride and with excellent quickness and a change of pace is capable of keeping defenders on their heels. He can open up ice and space for himself with his skating and in traffic he has the ability to 'slice' through tight areas and with very good balance. He can be difficult to deter. Very smart with and without the puck and he is quick to see opportunity in all areas to take advantage. He has good puck skills and can make plays, can shoot, can hold puck and isn't a 'one trick pony'. He competes and will battle in every situation. Has steadily improved over the past two years and shows the potential to be a very good NHL player.

I'd chose Domi before Wennberg but don't believe he'll be availabe at #13.

Wennberg is said to be a very intelligent and flexible forward. He played RW most of the time this season (AFAIK) but played Center before. He plays every role and has all the tools to be an impact NHL player. He may not have the best 1st line top end talent, but none of Horvat, Gauthier, Shinkaruk, Wennberg have that. Domi arguably does, but I think he'll be gone at #13, he got pushed a lot lately.

Wennberg is the perfect piece for our future top 6 alongside Scheifele, Burmistrov, Lowry, Kane.

Where is romang? I'd really like to hear what he thinks about Wennberg.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Why am I the only one who wants Wennberg at #13? (I think Domi will be gone)

You aren't the only one.

I'd chose Domi before Wennberg but don't believe he'll be availabe at #13.

Wennberg is said to be a very intelligent and flexible forward. He played RW most of the time this season (AFAIK) but played Center before. He plays every role and has all the tools to be an impact NHL player. He may not have the best 1st line top end talent, but none of Horvat, Gauthier, Shinkaruk, Wennberg have that. Domi arguably does, but I think he'll be gone at #13, he got pushed a lot lately.

Wennberg is the perfect piece for our future top 6 alongside Scheifele, Burmistrov, Lowry, Kane.

Where is romang? I'd really like to hear what he thinks about Wennberg.

To put it in just a few words I'd say...

Wennberg brings a similar package to Horvat. The notable difference would be that Horvat hits a little more and Wennberg looks like he will score a little more.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
My hope is that we use our 2nds+ to move into the mid-late first and snag Anthony Mantha. I think he is going to be the steal of the draft. Nose for the net and a big forward.

Problem is two of our 2nd rounders are basically 3rd round (#59 & #61) Don't know if one of those and #43 is enough to get back into the 25 - 30 range.

Montreal has three 2nd as well. Theirs are #33, #36 and #55. A team wanting to trade down out of the 1st round and pick up multiple picks would likely talk to the Canadiens first.:(

As for Mantha, I don't want him at #13. I see it as beeing too much of a risk for a team with little prospect depth but like you suggest if there was an opportunity to trade up and get him late in the 1st, I'd take that gamble despite his flaws.

He'd be highly worth it for a team like Columbus, Dallas or Calgary who all own multiple 1st rounders. Perhaps even Buffalo if they like him enough at #16.

Last edited:

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
If Domi is off the board and we don't trade up I would be happy with Wennerberg. If rather draft a defencemen in the early 2nd and perhaps the 3rd of course depending on who is available. Maybe Hagg or Mueller last until the 2nd.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
As I mentioned in the Draft thread, I really like Wennberg too. Sounds like he would be a nice fit to our organization, to be honest.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am a Wennberg fan as well, lots to like about him. Very bright player on the ice and one of the best interviews at the combine. Good size (6'2" 195) and a very good skater. He is slick offensive talent who can both create and finish (according to ISS). Style comp is Jacob Voracek.

The reason I like him is that I think he would fit so well with almost anyone. I really like sizeable, smart, fast, creative players with finishing skills. Eventually he would be a tremendous complimentary piece (skill set wise) to either the Lowry-Kane smash mouth type, or a Scheif skill type. He can play on the walls and win board battles, use his frame to protect the puck, and doesn't mind going to the net. Smart defensive player as well. Watching Boston play makes me realize how great it is to have the skilled European type in the mix that doesn't shy away from the contact (Krejci)

I would have zero issues if he is called to the podium by Chevy (depending on who is still left of course :naughty:)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I like Domi and Horvat at 13. I think Domi would be too good a story to pass up and not to mention all the talent he has. He would fit in with a lot of the bigger forwards the Jets have managed to stock pile over the past 2 drafts.

I think Horvat is a Chevy kind of player. If Domi is gone and he is still there I see him being the guy.

A wild card would Shinkaruk. I have talked to one of the Jets amateur scouts at the rink a few times this year and he loved him a great deal and felt he was a darkhorse early in the draft.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am a Wennberg fan as well, lots to like about him. Very bright player on the ice and one of the best interviews at the combine. Good size (6'2" 195) and a very good skater. He is slick offensive talent who can both create and finish (according to ISS). Style comp is Jacob Voracek.

The reason I like him is that I think he would fit so well with almost anyone. I really like sizeable, smart, fast, creative players with finishing skills. Eventually he would be a tremendous complimentary piece (skill set wise) to either the Lowry-Kane smash mouth type, or a Scheif skill type. He can play on the walls and win board battles, use his frame to protect the puck, and doesn't mind going to the net. Smart defensive player as well. Watching Boston play makes me realize how great it is to have the skilled European type in the mix that doesn't shy away from the contact (Krejci)

I would have zero issues if he is called to the podium by Chevy (depending on who is still left of course :naughty:)
Three position versatility is a really nice touch too.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I like Domi and Horvat at 13. I think Domi would be too good a story to pass up and not to mention all the talent he has. He would fit in with a lot of the bigger forwards the Jets have managed to stock pile over the past 2 drafts.

I think Horvat is a Chevy kind of player. If Domi is gone and he is still there I see him being the guy.

A wild card would Shinkaruk. I have talked to one of the Jets amateur scouts at the rink a few times this year and he loved him a great deal and felt he was a darkhorse early in the draft.

If Wennberg was born in NA would he be "a Chevy kind of player"?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Agree about Wennberg.
As for Europeans in general, never mind Boston, Chicago has 8 Europeans on their team, a full 1/3 of their active roster. The Jets, in contrast, have 6, but 2 are about to disappear (Antro and Mitt), one they wish would disappear (Jokinen), one is iffy (Kulda) and another appears to be persona non grata (Burmi). I have some concerns about whether Chevy is looking at building a team through a narrow prism of the prototype big, tough NA player only.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Three position versatility is a really nice touch too.

That it is Truck

Kane is a great player but not everyone blends with him as a linemate due to his very specific and effective style. I look at Wennberg as the polar opposite of that, I see him fitting well with almost anyone (on paper at least).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree about Wennberg.
As for Europeans in general, never mind Boston, Chicago has 8 Europeans on their team, a full 1/3 of their active roster. The Jets, in contrast, have 6, but 2 are about to disappear (Antro and Mitt), one they wish would disappear (Jokinen), one is iffy (Kulda) and another appears to be persona non grata (Burmi). I have some concerns about whether Chevy is looking at building a team through a narrow prism of the prototype big, tough NA player only.

I like the idea of a big tough team but I would like to think a blended approach is always smart and there should be room on a Jets team for a Wennberg type IMHO. Nobody is going to run him out of the rink and its always nice to add smart, skilled players too.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
That it is Truck

Kane is a great player but not everyone blends with him as a linemate due to his very specific and effective style. I look at Wennberg as the polar opposite of that, I see him fitting well with almost anyone (on paper at least).

Agree, ps.

I, too, love a smart player who is a complete 2-way player. The kid played very well at the WJC's, and his IQ and skating speed would be a welcome addition. Especially with another speedster in Kane. Comparisons to Loui Eriksson certainly do warm the heart, about him.

And I can see the love for Domi, but I don't see the Jets selecting him. His skill set is pretty obvious, but I don't see chevy and crew going that way on draft day. I also don't think he trades up a few spots just to get him. Though, I could be completely wrong.

As for trading down, I'm not sure that works out. Typically, you don't get two better players, and you'll be lucky if one works out and is as good as the guy you could have taken before moving. My vote would be to select BPA at #13, if you can't move up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad