Value of: Winners and Losers in the Expansion Draft

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Hurricanes. We thought we were losing Stempniak or we were going to give up a 2/3rd to have them pick someone else to keep him. Instead they took Brickley + a 5th. Brickley was wayyy down our depth chart.

Brickley is not even on the depth chart. Brickley's so far away from the depth chart, he'd have to travel about 27 years at light speed before he could even see the depth chart.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Vegas was the biggest loser by far. Left some good players just to take on a bad contract for not even good picks. I'll wait and see what they do with the surplus players before judging any further. The winners were every team that offloaded a bad contract except for NYI.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
People really need to start explaining how the Isles are losers because it seems to be coming from a complete lack of knowledge about the team or the situation they're in.

It's because they're the Islanders, duh!

They didn't lose and they didn't win. Just imagine if they did nothing, they'd be vilified for losing one of Strome, Nelson, Bailey, Cizikas, or DeHaan. So instead they moved out $5 mil, a couple of picks, and didn't lose any roster players. It's arguable if any of those players were worth a 1st, but now all that matters is if snow makes upgrades without setting back team.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Does it have to be explained 100 times if their wasn't these side deals already made before teams had to submit their lists, many teams lists would look different. In Islanders case De Haan probably would have been protected and Nelson would be the player they lose(with a chance of Strome)

Well in my opinion the haul they gave up was worth more than Nelson or Strome.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As a fine connoisseur of tank jobs ( as certified by all of HFBoards posters) id say the Knights move a lot of these guys, hit free agency hard, and look for some high picks tge next couple years then have a powerhouse just about the time the novelty of the team wears off

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It depends on how highly you rate Theodore or Tuch. In the case of Minnesota Haula isn't chopped liver either

Tuch is our 4th/5th highest rated prospect depending on your criteria. Haula was not going to be on the team next year anyway.

Essentially what happened tonight, is that Vegas sent Haula an offer sheet that we didn't match and we got compensation for it (3rd), then Vegas took Tuch as their ED player.

For a team with a 1C, and two top-4 defensemen available, that's pretty ****ing good.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
This is interesting to me.

Islanders had CDH, Ottawa had Methot.

Islanders paid the required price with Vegas, dumped Grabo's contract, lost nothing of significance off the current roster but parted with a 1st & 2nd.

Ottawa didn't pay anything to Vegas and lost a #2D which Vegas seems poised to now flip via trade. Already plenty of teams showing interest that a top-4 defenseman is now available for futures.

NYI go one direction, OTT goes the other. Yet both are losers? We can't all get away with Luca Sbisa or Derek Engelland being the player Vegas takes.

Well said.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Isles lost nothing of significance, but shed $5M of dead cap space, positioning them for imminent trades and signings. How is that a loss?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Islanders are not losers, they got rid of a awful contract, kept all of their valuable assets and all for a pick in a weak draft.

Vegas have a plan to build through the draft(I think their GM convinced the owner of this), so you can't really call the losers.

NYI13

Dec 9, 2009
Long Island
It's because they're the Islanders, duh!

They didn't lose and they didn't win. Just imagine if they did nothing, they'd be vilified for losing one of Strome, Nelson, Bailey, Cizikas, or DeHaan. So instead they moved out $5 mil, a couple of picks, and didn't lose any roster players. It's arguable if any of those players were worth a 1st, but now all that matters is if snow makes upgrades without setting back team.

If Snow goes out and gets some big market guys with all this cap space, you have to call the expansion draft a win for the Isles.

Like you said, all that matters is what Snow does now..

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Vegas was the biggest loser by far. Left some good players just to take on a bad contract for not even good picks. I'll wait and see what they do with the surplus players before judging any further. The winners were every team that offloaded a bad contract except for NYI.

How so? Columbus gave up same draft picks and a higher caliber player in Karlsson vs Berube. The islanders wanted to protect Nelson, Strome, DeHaan, and Bailey from being selected. One could argue snow should've protected dehaan instead of pelech and roll the dice but that's a different head scratching argument.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Why except NYI?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
This is interesting to me.

Islanders had CDH, Ottawa had Methot.

Islanders paid the required price with Vegas, dumped Grabo's contract, lost nothing of significance off the current roster but parted with a 1st & 2nd.

Ottawa didn't pay anything to Vegas and lost a #2D which Vegas seems poised to now flip via trade. Already plenty of teams showing interest that a top-4 defenseman is now available for futures.

NYI go one direction, OTT goes the other. Yet both are losers? We can't all get away with Luca Sbisa or Derek Engelland being the player Vegas takes.

Ottawa are losers for not being able to keep one of their core Ds. NYI are losers because they gave too much for what they were trying to protect, getting rid rid of Grabo is nice, but it doesn't compensate for the extra value they lost imo. A 1st and a 2nd are maybe not part of their current roster, but they are worth a lot.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Winners and losers should wait until after Vegas deals players... teams were asking for specific guys so some of this admittedly could be scenerios like " if you take player x and trade him to us, and dont take player y from us, we will give you A B C...

We will know more as the rest of the deals are unfolded

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Giving up a mid 1st, a 2nd, and an admittedly fairly meh prospect to keep a player that's a year from free agency in DeHaan or a couple of guys that most of you want gone anyway in Strome and Nelson is indeed steep.

You've been roasting Chia over the coals for giving up a 1st and a 2nd for what amounted to nothing since he traded for Reinhart but now that Snow did it its a good move?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
What is Vegas getting for taking the Emilen and his $4M cap hit from MTL, instead of Hudon. What am I missing?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'd say Wild and Ducks are winners here. Wild even got a cond. 3rd back.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Ottawa are losers for not being able to keep one of their core Ds. NYI are losers because they gave too much for what they were trying to protect, getting rid rid of Grabo is nice, but it doesn't compensate for the extra value they lost imo.

In the modern NHL, freeing $5M of dead cap space is worth way more than a draft pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Calgary is one of the winners for sure. I am still trying to understand that pick.

To be honest look at who they had available, it was slim pickings. My guess is Derek Engelland got picked for the simple fact he had some ties to the city playing their before plus he will be a fan favorite for dropping the gloves in the next year or so(basically they could have taken an AHL/NHL tweener but figured Engelland might be a better business/entertainment choice)

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Winners and losers should wait until after Vegas deals players... teams were asking for specific guys so some of this admittedly could be scenerios like " if you take player x and trade him to us, and dont take player y from us, we will give you A B C...

We will know more as the rest of the deals are unfolded

Solid point and also what I think happened in Boston.

Vegas wants a Bruin.
Vegas knows Toronto wants a Bruin.
Vegas tells Boston to expose Colin Miller for a trade and in exchange the Golden Knights will acquire _____ and trade him to Boston for ______.
Vegas takes Miller and flips him, takes _____ and flips him to Boston for _______.

Vegas ends up with assets from Toronto and Boston that weren't on either lists and actually help build for the future.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Also this, I feel like Manson + Dumba could've gotten a much bigger return on the open market than Theodore + Tuch.

Not only that, but Manson + Dumba would already set Vegas' top 2 pairing and on top of that you get Methot and others to fill the bottom 4...Vegas screwed themselves over on those deals

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
To be honest look at who they had available, it was slim pickings. My guess is Derek Engelland got picked for the simple fact he had some ties to the city playing their before plus he will be a fan favorite for dropping the gloves in the next year or so(basically they could have taken an AHL/NHL tweener but figured Engelland might be a better business choice)

I don't know much about the Flames, but I would have taken Kulak and then try and sign Engelland in FA if I wanted him that badly? But I could be wrong. Calgary was in a good situation for this expansion draft and deserve some credit for their luck for that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad