Value of: Winners and Losers in the Expansion Draft

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Minnesota definitely a winner. Didnt give up a great prospect and only lost Haula. Could have been alot worse for them. They most likely had deals in place for Dumba/Scandella/Brodin trades so they didnt expose any of them if Vegas didnt take Haula+prospect

This - Fletcher worked the trade lines hard, got valuable assets to the table as alternatives if Vegas wasn't willing to deal... and Vegas flinched!

I mentioned the Wild should go to that extreme about a month ago and bring an ultimatum to Vegas, as it was the only real way to truly dictate the situation... Fletcher looks to have done just that! He knew the value of his assets and used them to his favor! :yo:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Winners? Calgary, they lost a 35 UFA, nobody cares.
Losers? Anaheim, they paid the price of a 21 year old top dman to keep another one, ouch.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Explain why the islanders are losers in this draft. A fan base that generally can't stand Snow is universally praising him.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
Pens easy winners. Got rid of bad contract for late 2nd in 2020.I'm surprised they couldn't get more.
losers.. sens, vegas. preds

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No deals, but as predicted, the Oilers avoided any significant damage.

Overall compared to other teams, sure. But they lost the best possible piece they could've in this situation. He was going to be an NHLer next year and the Oilers have no on hand replacement for him.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Not the final line-up. Some defensemen are being traded for forwards or picks.

2017-18 Vegas Golden Knights preliminary Line-Up...

Line 1 LW Marchessault C Shipachyov RW Smith
Line 2 LW Perron C Lindberg (RFA) RW Neal
Line 3 LW Haula C Karlsson RW Eakin
Line 4 LW Carrier C Bellemare RW Pulkkinen (RFA)

1st D-Pair LD Methot RD Van Riemsdyk
2nd D-Pair LD Theodore RD Garrison
3rd D-Pair LD McNabb RD Schlemko

Goalie's:
Starter: Fleury
Backup: Pickard

Scratched List
RD Miller
LD Emelin
LD Sbisa
LD Merrill
LD Stoner
LD Schmidt ~ RFA
LW Thorburn ~ UFA
RD Engelland ~ UFA
G Berube ~ UFA
C Grabovski + Post Concussion Syndrome LTIR
RW Clarkson + Back (Career Ending) LTIR

Chicago AHL roster:
RW Tuch
LW Nosek
LW Leipsic
LW Gusev
C Duke
RW Hyka
LD Bischoff
LD Reinhart ~ RFA
C Brickley ~ UFA

Captain: Neal
Alternate Captain: Bellemare
Alternate Captain: ?

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
I see NYI, ANA (they were going to be anyway), FLA, OTT as loosers.

I do not have extensive knowledge over every Vegas pick but I do feel some of their choices are very questionnable. Let's see if they trade some of them claimed players and what do they get in return.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Vegas are huge losers.

Was literally expecting a decent team and they made terrible pucks and trades and overrated this draft.

Where's all the 2nd liners and top 4 d men they were suppose to have?

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Loss = Islanders

for sure.... :help:

Biggest Winners:
Montreal & Vancouver

Losers:
NYI & Preds (Garth with a lol of a trade, Preds lose likely the best skater at the draft).

Islanders ... just LOL

Winners: Montreal, Dallas, Vancouver all lost deadweight for free. That's a win. Could throw Minnesota and Anaheim on there as well, considering how hard they could have been hit but managed to avoid it

Losers: Vegas, Florida, Tampa, Islanders, Columbus, Nashville

Winner: 1st: WAS, 2nd: MTL, 3rd: CAR
Loser: 1st: FLO, 2nd: NYI, 3rd: OTT

Florida, Ottawa, Islanders had a tough day IMO.

Vegas on the whole made a ton of strange moves.

I do not have extensive knowledge over every Vegas pick but I do feel some of their choices are very questionnable. Let's see if they trade some of them claimed players and what do they get in return.

People really need to start explaining how the Isles are losers because it seems to be coming from a complete lack of knowledge about the team or the situation they're in.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Overall compared to other teams, sure. But they lost the best possible piece they could've in this situation. He was going to be an NHLer next year and the Oilers have no on hand replacement for him.

He was most likely going to be a 7d. If they can`t find someone to replace him that would be sad. Really all they have to do is re-sign Oesterle and they will be okay.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Winners: Anaheim, Minny, Vancouver, Montreal, Dallas, Toronto

Anaheim kept both Vatanen and Manson (top four dmen) for the price of Theodore attached to a cap dump in Stoner. They basically improved by subtraction, even if losing Theodore could hurt in the long run.

Minny was in a real pickle with their dmen and lost Haula, Tuch and a conditional third rounder. Best case scenario for them in what was likely the worst situation of any team in the draft in that they got to keep young defenders with higher upside and current performance at the cost of a good (not great prospect) and a third rounder.

Vancouver lost an overpayed liability for free. (Same with Dallas and Montreal so kudos to them too)

Leafs got off much easier than most teams losing a non roster player in an area of strength in the organization. This is more about dumb luck and timing though rather than skilled management.

Losers: Islanders, Preds, Florida.

Islanders paid a steep price to keep a player who should have been protected in De Haan.

Preds lost the best player in the expansion draft.

Florida lost Riley Smith and a 30 goal scorer making nearly league minimum and only got a 4th in return. Atrocious.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
People really need to start explaining how the Isles are losers because it seems to be coming from a complete lack of knowledge about the team or the situation they're in.

Thing I don't get is if people want to claim the Islanders are losers fair enough, but why isn't Columbus getting similar scorn, they gave up a pretty big Haul to protect there players(one can argue worse then the Islanders)

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

This is HF. Trading a 1st & 2nd = automatic loss. Not based on any real world logic.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders paid a steep price to keep a player who should have been protected in De Haan.

Does it have to be explained 100 times if their wasn't these side deals already made before teams had to submit their lists, many teams lists would look different. In Islanders case De Haan probably would have been protected and Nelson would be the player they lose(with a chance of Strome). they basically made the calculation that the 15th pick was worth less to them then Nelson and they got rid of Grabovski's contract for a 2nd 2 years from now. In terms of the other stuff lost, Berube is a UFA in a week and a half and Bischoff is a decent prospect but probably wouldn't even make out top 20(with arguments for the 15-20 range). Smallish left handed PMD basically are a dime a dozen in our prospect pool and we already have 2 others ready to play next season for us(Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel).

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Winner: 1st: WAS, 2nd: MIN, 3rd: MTL
Loser: 1st: FLO, 2nd: NYI, 3rd: OTT

Florida, Ottawa, Islanders had a tough day IMO.

Vegas on the whole made a ton of strange moves.

This is interesting to me.

Islanders had CDH, Ottawa had Methot.

Islanders paid the required price with Vegas, dumped Grabo's contract, lost nothing of significance off the current roster but parted with a 1st & 2nd.

Ottawa didn't pay anything to Vegas and lost a #2D which Vegas seems poised to now flip via trade. Already plenty of teams showing interest that a top-4 defenseman is now available for futures.

NYI go one direction, OTT goes the other. Yet both are losers? We can't all get away with Luca Sbisa or Derek Engelland being the player Vegas takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad